In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
EXSlider400

New 2019 Yukon Denali... wind noise.

Just bought this vehicle yesterday and now on the way home going interstate speed’s it’s making a noise like a window was rolled down or something and making my ears hurt along with my wife’s is this normal or is this a common problem and if so what’s the fix? 

Just bought this vehicle yesterday and now on the way home going interstate speed’s it’s making a noise like a window was rolled down or something and making my ears hurt along with my wife’s is this normal or is this a common problem and if so what’s the fix? 

Congrats for the new ride.
Not 100% sure, but you can go back and let the dealer know if there is something wrong that they can fix under warranty.
Some ppl say the the B pillar door trim is sometimes become loose and needs to be fixed. But in your case, it is a brand new vehicle so it wasn’t supposed to have this issue!

I plan on it but it seems to help to have a TSB or at least an idea beforehand. I don’t know if it is an opening or gap issue or road noise from a vibration on this one. I should have taken the test drive on the interstate but that is my fault. 

I plan on it but it seems to help to have a TSB or at least an idea beforehand. I don’t know if it is an opening or gap issue or road noise from a vibration on this one. I should have taken the test drive on the interstate but that is my fault. 

You bought it yesterday, if you’re not happy with it, return it and go buy yourself something else. One thing I’ve always found to be true with Dealerships, always say yes, we’ll take care of it only to find later that either it’s normal or can’t find anything wrong with it and by then it’s to late to return it. I got rid of my 16 loaded out XL after one to many times “that’s normal for the vehicle” which I call BS so I traded it for a new body style 2019 BMW X5, night and day difference in quality especially in handling. Though there’s nothing quite as room as an XL, my wife is over it now. No clucking, weird shifting, uneven doors, multiple repairs far to soon for the mileage which traded it at 40K miles. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GMC dealer here in Tupelo has always treated us right and this is our 3rd 4x4 Denali from them in 5 years (1500, 2500 DMax, Yukon).  They are going to pick it up tomorrow and see what the issue (pressure or drone or 22” tires needing RFB) is. I will keep the forum updated for informational purposes. But any other comments are still welcomed. 

Update: Dealer said the exhaust was not clamped correctly so a leak was making a drone. I will keep the group updated. 

Edited by EXSlider400

Here is the related TSB info (I will look for the number) but I still plan on better tires and road force balance. 

By the way the “booming” is still there so I still have to figure it out  

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=7001

Edited by EXSlider400

I have the exact same issue. Dealer says it's normal, but this is my 4th Denali and I can tel you it is not normal. Did you find the cause?

On 1/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, Rich D said:

I have the exact same issue. Dealer says it's normal, but this is my 4th Denali and I can tel you it is not normal. Did you find the cause?

No. I have had 08 Yukon, 14 Denali 1500, 16 Denali 1500 and 18 Denali 2500 and now this 19 Denali Yukon (all z71 except the 19 which is just 4x4). Only the Yukon does this and only one with 22” wheels. When I get time I am going to put my 18” Wheels from my 07 Sierra on it to see if it stops the noise.  Even my new AT4 1500 rides better than the Yukon Denali and it not only has the factory 2” lift but a set of aggressive all terrains in a set of 20” wheels. Magna ride and 22” suck. The sun roof also removes a roof brace and to me it sounds like the roof metal is just too thin. I can push it down And make an indent in with my pinky for goodness sake. 

GM suggested they wanted to send an engineer down but then they said it was normal so they never did anything but say sorry that is how it is designed and tough $hit it rides like crap. They don’t care how loyal you are or what vehicle you buy or if you ever buy another one. The next SUV will be probably be a Mercedes as my wife has a E550 AMG Cabriolet and has had zero issues and rides like butter. At the Decked out Denali trim, a gently used previous year Mercedes is the same or less money and better warranty, build quality, and CUSTOMER SERVICE. 

just for perspective I have also owned a 1990 Sierra GT Stepside and a 2000 Sierra 1500. So been in Sierras my whole life. 

Edited by EXSlider400

Had the same problem with my 2019 Suburban.  Was coming from the passenger rear quarter panel glass. Tech drove and confirmed the noise and redid the seal.  No noise now.  Have someone with you so you can pinpoint where it’s coming from 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By midwestdenaliguy
      Got an interesting one for the forum. After the truck (2016 GMC Sierra) has been sitting a while (usually over night or for a few hours) the pedal let's out a nice squeak. On rare occasions I can get it to do it twice in a row, but most of the time the squeak is only for the first press then is gone for all the other presses. Normal daily driving I don't hear it, it's only the first press or when I have to hit my brakes hard (ex, cut off by someone). My local dealer service department (who's treated me well and has good mechanics) looked at it and said they can't repeat it enough to truly diagnose it. Some squeaks are real quick and others last about 2 seconds. The only way I can describe it is like a relief valve letting some air out, but with a squeak. Sometimes I can hold the pedal in place after depressing and the squeak continues to let out. It's not like a metal plunger rubbing on a rubber boot as I depress the pedal, plus I would be able to make the sound every time if that were the case.

Below is a video I took on two different occasions, they are looped a couple times. You'll hear what I'm talking about and see that it's gone on the second press. I did have the vacuum pump replaced due to the recall about a year ago, I noticed it after that but the dealership said the pump and vacuum is holding well the entire time, even when it squeaks. They only guess they had was to replace the brake pedal assembly or the brake booster, but admittedly said that would just be throwing parts at it. Just got the truck back today, didn't get charged for the diagnosis since they couldn't figure it out. Now I'm turning to the forum. Any idea what's going on?!?

• By Kharhaz
      Hey all, I have a 2019 trail boss with an awful noise anytime the rest suspension is used (all the time because you know...)

I took it into the dealer and they "fixed" it with some grease.. but that has negative side effects, also it already wore off. So yeah. 

I just don't understand how this is even a thing. My 2013 didn't make any noises like this. My 2019 sounds like a 20 year old rust bucket. 

I went on Twitter, but now I question their ability to do anything. They are just going to tell the dealer to regrease it. 

Anybody else have this issue?

• By Aidan Grant
      my 6.0 with 230xxx has low oil pressure but no knocks maybe a little tick though. When i bought the truck it had maybe 5-9psi cold dropping to 0 warm. Thought it may have been a pickup tube oring or oil pump so i went ahead and replaced the pickup tube, o ring, and pump. it now gets 20 cold 7 warm at idle and 0 warm at idle and 20 warm running 1700 rpm. Which is a lot better but still a problem. I am aware the bearings may be shot and need a total rebuild, that is not out of the options. It is not electrical or sensor based issue same psi with a mechanical gauge. However I need to replace my harmonic balancer and take off the timing cover again so i was looking at it and could it be as simple as a o camshaft retainer plate? it has a build in thin o ring which if fails will drain pressure as it connects the oil gallys. Am I correct in thinking that this could solve my issues? Any input is helpful, thanks.

• By YukonJohn
      The rattle we had was coming from headliner behind the passenger seat, and was typically worse at medium to highway speeds. It is noticeably louder with the sunroof cover slid back(open). My fix: Open rear passenger door and stand on running board to access the roof rack. If you wiggle the crossbar of the rack it has the slightest of slack, but just enough to make a clanking sound. I wedged some thin flexible magnet pieces(no the rack isn't magnetic, just what I had handy) in between the crossbar and the roof brace in front of and back of the bar(see pic). Viola...no noise. If these come loose I will come up with something more robust(maybe some two part epoxy).

I'm not familiar with the inside of the 2015-2019 Suburban, Tahoe, and regular Yukon's, but the ultra quiet cabin of the Denali amplifies ANY little rattle or strange noise. I was used to the road noise and rattles of my 2007 Suburban(288K). They went kind of hand in hand. This one will take some getting used to. I know, suck it up buttercup.

Now...back to the "other" issue... front end clank, clank, clank-clank after medium to hard braking, but occasionally during acceleration, and less occasionally steady speeds. No specific rhythm, almost like it's swinging in the wind, and then it suddenly stops after a few seconds. Please help if you know anything! I WILL fix this too! There is a video from another in a different thread on here that has the EXACT same issue/sound as mine.

• By Rauen
      Apologies if this is a common thread. I have a noise that is driving me insane, driving is not relaxing or enjoyable. 2019 4cyl turbo Silverado LT1500 Crew Cab, 4500 miles. The noise seems to be coming from the front left of the dash. It happens only when my foot is on the gas, and only when “cruising” around 1200-1500 rpm. It sounds like a cricket. It does fluctuate when when I hit lumps/bumps in the road, but is present either way. I can’t tell if it’s a fan squeaking or if its
      something rubbing that shakes the right way at that RPM. Highway driving - no noise due to higher RPM. It drives me nuts and I feel like I spend most of my drive time trying to pin point it instead of enjoying my new truck!