Kolton285

Speedometer reading upwards of 20 mph faster than I'm going.

So, I recently started driving my dad's old 98 Chevy Silverado Z71, and I've noticed the speedometer is reading upwards of 20 mph faster than I'm actually going. He said that he accidentally pressed the 4 Lo switch one time without following the proper procedure and ever since then it has been off. Can the four low gear actually mess up the speedometer or is something else wrong? And how would I fix it?

Give a search for vss buffer for the truck, sometimes unplugging it for a bit helps

On 8/13/2019 at 8:54 AM, riverbanks said:

Give a search for vss buffer for the truck, sometimes unplugging it for a bit helps

Would unplugging the battery achieve the same affect?

Good question,not sure,try it,I just remember from threads in the past,that,that was the recommendation,it is the speedo corrector for 4lo

Tried it, no dice. It's a troubling issue, the cruise control works fine and the speedo is at least somewhat indicative of the truck's speed, ergo no bouncing or twitching like you'd see with a bad speed sensor, and I tried removing the battery and disconnecting the vss buffer. Could my cluster be out of wack? Really hoping it's not the case, cuz those things are expensive to replace and reprogram. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Brian Lindsey said:

not really , i think they do complete  rebuild  for 80. to 125 ,  or you could get one off ebay , or a junkyard near you

I'll keep that in mind if it comes down to it, still not positive if the fault is in the cluster though. Thanks for the tip.