In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

On 9/10/2019 at 12:43 AM, 2017HD said:

I went from an 07 2500 gas to a 17 2500 diesel loving the difference. The 07 was lucky to get more than 14 MPG on the hy and 8=9 MPG around town and towing a 6000 lb Travel Trailer. The diesel easily gets 20 MPH hy doing between 65 and 75 MPH. around town I get 14 and towing my new 8000lb Travel Trailer 11-12 MPG. I have more power and can easily climb any hill I have found. I have used my local dealer for oil changes at around 100.00 ea - I buy BlueDef at about 12.00/box I usually go around 11000 miles on the 5 gal. All in all I am happy with my 17 250 DMAX as a daily driver, weekend hauler and all around vehicle. 

If one has a real need for the the diesel version, then it can be a winning thing to shell out an extra $10K for the Dmax pickup and the additional operating cost.  Many do not have the need, and that is shown by the volume of gasser 2500/3500's sold in relation to diesel versions.  At least 3 to 1 in favor of gassers when it comes to fleet buyers which is the bread and butter market for any HD pickup truck OEM.  

The little better MPG with the diesel looks good, but may not really mean anything.  Diesel fuel costs more.   Now, at the current time the price spreads are pretty tight between gas and diesel, but that has not been historically true for the last couple of decades.. The typical price spreads that we have seen in the past basically mean that even though the diesel got the better MPG, the actual cost per mile for fuel was essentially equal with gasoline.  It was a wash. 

Diesel pickups have their place in the overall picture or they  wouldn't be made.  But as the marketing numbers suggest, far less of a place than traditional gasoline engine versions.  I needed my 2500 primarily for the higher payload than the 1500.  I occasionally will tow, but then I am not trying to move a 35' 15,000 lb 5th wheel trailer when I do.  Mostly enclosed cargo, dump, and utility trailers, the max of which is around 10K lb.   And my 2500 gets to push some snow in the winter months.  All of which the gasser handles just fine.   I already have to buy around 21,000 gallons of diesel for my commercial needs.  I had no desire to buy more of the stuff for my personal use.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:54 AM, SkidooSteve12 said:

I'm in the process of buying a 2020 2500 Gasser and coming from a 2013 1500 CC 4x4 with air bags. With the air bags deflated the hitch height is 7 INCHES lower than the 2020 2500HD!! 16.75" for the 1500 and 23.75 for the 2500! I'm researching new drop hitches like crazy now HAHA! It rides surprisingly smooth for a 2500. But it is massive!

I went through the drop hitch research after I upgraded from a 1500 to 2500. I had to buy a new longer shank for my Equalizer hitch then bought a Weigh Safe 180 hitch for all other needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-LTB8-2-5-Drop-Hitch/dp/B077QC5LH5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=V722XY4ZLLL3&keywords=weigh+safe+hitch&qid=1568207112&s=gateway&sprefix=weigh+safe%2Caps%2C269&sr=8-7

I bought the 8-inch drop but should have got the 10-inch. Even at full drop, my small 6x4 trailer rode nose-high. I also bought and additional carrier with a 1-7/8" and 2" balls. So, now I can tow anything from 1-7/8" to 2-5/16" ball and 8-inch drop to 9-inch rise. GTW is 14,500lbs.

32 minutes ago, Brummie99 said:

I went through the drop hitch research after I upgraded from a 1500 to 2500. I had to buy a new longer shank for my Equalizer hitch then bought a Weigh Safe 180 hitch for all other needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-LTB8-2-5-Drop-Hitch/dp/B077QC5LH5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=V722XY4ZLLL3&keywords=weigh+safe+hitch&qid=1568207112&s=gateway&sprefix=weigh+safe%2Caps%2C269&sr=8-7

I bought the 8-inch drop but should have got the 10-inch. Even at full drop, my small 6x4 trailer rode nose-high. I also bought and additional carrier with a 1-7/8" and 2" balls. So, now I can tow anything from 1-7/8" to 2-5/16" ball and 8-inch drop to 9-inch rise. GTW is 14,500lbs.

Thanks for your reply. I have been on the fence between a 8-inch or 10-inch drop Weigh Safe hitch with the built in scale. I need the 10-inch drop to match up exactly with my inline snowmobile trailer after calculating in the 2" squat down at the hitch when test driving the truck. But Weigh Safe recommends 11" of clearance between the ground and their hitch when fully loaded. I should be around 9-10" of clearance because their scale slider is 3" thick, but think I will be fine as I have to be careful about dragging the rear of my low framed 29' long trailer.

Oh yeah, www.etrailer.com has a nice instant rebate right now on their 2.5" 10" drop Weigh Safe hitch with the scale and also their 2" version.

Edited by SkidooSteve12
Added rebate info

32 minutes ago, SkidooSteve12 said:

Thanks for your reply. I have been on the fence between a 8-inch or 10-inch drop Weigh Safe hitch with the built in scale. I need the 10-inch drop to match up exactly with my inline snowmobile trailer after calculating in the 2" squat down at the hitch when test driving the truck. But Weigh Safe recommends 11" of clearance between the ground and their hitch when fully loaded. I should be around 9-10" of clearance because their scale slider is 3" thick, but think I will be fine as I have to be careful about dragging the rear of my low framed 29' long trailer.

Oh yeah, www.etrailer.com has a nice instant rebate right now on their 2.5" 10" drop Weigh Safe hitch with the scale and also their 2" version.

It was the built-in scale that drew me to Weigh-Safe but the reviews indicated the scale is not very robust and either gives incorrect reading or quits completely. I also wanted the option of multiple ball sizes. The scale one can be changed but is more involved than the 180. I got mine off Ebay for $250.00. Adding the additional slider and ball pushed me to about $350 all-in.

I justify the cost by telling myself it's the last hitch I will ever buy. 😎

And likely will be!  That is a very good hitch.