Thoughts on Cooper Discoverer Tire - AT3 4s, AT3 LT or AT3 XLT??

25 minutes ago, MattGMC2014 said:

Do the 275/60-20's rub at all?  That is the size I was looking at for the AT3 4s.  I do not have a leveling kit or lift currently.  Trying to determine if those will rub?

Mine rubbed before the front level but only rubs on the inner fender lining. Trimming that up will get rid of the rubbing.

I have the AT3 4s in 275/60r20. I originally had Duratracs in a 18 that even after replacing a "out of round" one they wouldn't drive smooth. 

These are smooth as silk at all speeds, I picked up 1mpg over the Duratracs but down 2 from stock. Stock was a 31.6" 18 and now I have a 33" 20, so I'd imagine if I stayed with a stock size I'd only be down .5 or so. 

Weight is pretty reasonable at 44lbs. The only lightweight AT I know of is the Goodyear Trailrunner.  

Obviously a road tire like a Michelin Defender will get better mileage and roll smoother but you'll have a hard time finding a AT tire that does.   Falken AT3s are going to be more like a Duratracs, AT3 4s is a nice middle ground.  

I'll buy Cooper again.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MattGMC2014 said:

Do the 275/60-20's rub at all?  That is the size I was looking at for the AT3 4s.  I do not have a leveling kit or lift currently.  Trying to determine if those will rub?

So I did a TON of research...

If your truck is all stock, no lift or level. You can run 275-60-20 with NO rub. 

If you level the front, it will then rub. 

Mine is all stock, no front level with 275-60-20 and NO rub at all. 

If you want to level the fronts, it will rub unless you get different upper control arms. 

So i ended up lowering the rear to help level it out. So rear is 1.5" lower and I have zero issues at all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I Believe you, Wikipedia says Buffalo New York, better to visually inspect yourself. They’ve gotten really great reviews though being lower priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falken makes some tires in the US, but can't find a list of which ones. 

But I put my eyeballs on a set of the AT3W that are under a year old (according to the owner) and they had Thailand on the side.

Edited by rah7777777

Falken makes some tires in the US, but can't find a list of which ones. 
But I put my eyeballs on a set of the AT3W that are under a year old (according to the owner) and they had Thailand on the side.

Look at the numbers on the side for when they were made, the claim is they used to be made overseas but now in USA. Personally, I don’t know, I’m old school [emoji6]

AT3 4S on my All Terrain. I agree with Yondu. Nice, smooth tire for an AT. I’d buy them again! I’m on my 2nd set. Cooper replaced all 4 tires for me at 8k miles because there was some odd pitting/tearing on the side lugs on one of the tires. They took care of me. They’ve handles the elements of Western Pennsylvania beautifully.

IMG_1308.JPGIMG_1316.JPGIMG_1313.JPGIMG_1315.JPG

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 3

I am also the proud owner of a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. I highly recommend. 

I put them on last fall, I went out driving in the snow just for fun. Excellent winter traction. Very good on treadwear. I put over 70,000 miles on the previous version of Discoverers on my old truck and they still had tread left. They are quiet, and I have not noticed any drop in MPGs over the stock goodyear SRA's.

My favorite local store (Fleet Farm) runs a sale at least once a year around thanksgiving for buy 3 Cooper tires, get 1 free. So you can't go wrong with that.

9 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I am also the proud owner of a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. I highly recommend. 

I put them on last fall, I went out driving in the snow just for fun. Excellent winter traction. Very good on treadwear. I put over 70,000 miles on the previous version of Discoverers on my old truck and they still had tread left. They are quiet, and I have not noticed any drop in MPGs over the stock goodyear SRA's.

My favorite local store (Fleet Farm) runs a sale at least once a year around thanksgiving for buy 3 Cooper tires, get 1 free. So you can't go wrong with that.

Yeah, I got Discount Tire to match that sale, so $600 for all 4 :). Hope they run it again this year as I'm thinking of picking up some 17s. 

45 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Look at the numbers on the side for when they were made, the claim is they used to be made overseas but now in USA. Personally, I don’t know, I’m old school emoji6.png

I didn’t look at the DOT date code. But I’ll keep an eye out for others. If they are USA made now, I’ll give them a try for sure. But the tire shop better show me all 4 with USA stamp haha

• Like 1

I didn’t look at the DOT date code. But I’ll keep an eye out for others. If they are USA made now, I’ll give them a try for sure. But the tire shop better show me all 4 with USA stamp haha

Amen to that!

56 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

So I did a TON of research...

If your truck is all stock, no lift or level. You can run 275-60-20 with NO rub. 

If you level the front, it will then rub. 

Mine is all stock, no front level with 275-60-20 and NO rub at all. 

If you want to level the fronts, it will rub unless you get different upper control arms. 

So i ended up lowering the rear to help level it out. So rear is 1.5" lower and I have zero issues at all. 

I really hope that works out for me as well.  I'm afraid if I put a leveling kit on my truck it will void my CNA National powertrain warranty.

The 4s will be my next set of tires. I did a bunch of homework on my current set (General Grabber AT2) because I knew I didn't need or want an E-rated tire and it came down to that or the Cooper AT3. Unless you tow regularly on the heavier side or off road a bunch it is not necessary for all the tradeoffs and MPG hit E-rated tires have. I looked at performance, tread depth and price as main factors plus reviews. Right off the bat the KO's were off the table, way over-rated, way over-priced and heavy, plus they only came in the size I wanted in E-rated and are susceptible to hydro-planning. Any of the Hybrid tires (AT3W, Duratrac, Ridge Grappler, etc) are too aggressive for daily driving and not going off road. They are always louder, worse on mpg, handle worse and heavier, just physics to running a bigger lug tire. I wanted to be realistic with my usage. The AT2's had half an inch of tread depth in the P-rated tire (plus snow rated, though I live in Texas I visit the mountains and family on occasion). I wanted the extra aggression for off road durability and looks. Even though I probably leave the pavement more than most here (I bet 90% never do) I still am on the pavement most all the time to work and back, so I want a tire that is good on the road and tough enough off road. More time with the Generals they have been an excellent tire but have gotten louder over time as they wear but are nice and smooth on the highway but I want something a little more street tame this go around. I realize my next tire will be slightly less aggressive so it is a better tire day in and day out so I will go with the Coopers. The AT3 originally was an excellent tire punching above its weight class off road (it won an expedition portal tire test a few years back) while retaining excellent on road manners without much of an MPG penalty. The new 4s is even better handling nearly as good as the top AT street oriented tire (Continental Terrain Contact) while nearly matching the most aggressive AT tires off road, it really is one of the best all around tires on the market. Plus they are american made and run mid pack in terms of price (nearly $70 less than the KO's and $60 less in the XLT version for an apples to apples comparison). Plus they fixed one of the largest grips people had about the original AT3 and the passenger car looking sidewall, I'd be lying if that also wasn't a small factor in my decision before but the tread depth was the largest factor in going with the Generals. The 4s has one of the deeper tread depths at 14/32 in passenger form and are a few pounds lighter than the Generals and only 5 pounds heavier than stock. 

To the original question I would go with 4s and not the LT or XLT unless all out looks or toughness off road and heavy towing regularly are needed. That is what I will be doing next year as I have about 35k on these Generals and they should wear out around 50k (just shy of the 60k warranty). I will replace sooner if another back country trip comes up and the tread depth isn't enough for my liking. 

Tyler 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

The 4s will be my next set of tires. I did a bunch of homework on my current set (General Grabber AT2) because I knew I didn't need or want an E-rated tire and it came down to that or the Cooper AT3. Unless you tow regularly on the heavier side or off road a bunch it is not necessary for all the tradeoffs and MPG hit E-rated tires have. I looked at performance, tread depth and price as main factors plus reviews. Right off the bat the KO's were off the table, way over-rated, way over-priced and heavy, plus they only came in the size I wanted in E-rated and are susceptible to hydro-planning. Any of the Hybrid tires (AT3W, Duratrac, Ridge Grappler, etc) are too aggressive for daily driving and not going off road. They are always louder, worse on mpg, handle worse and heavier, just physics to running a bigger lug tire. I wanted to be realistic with my usage. The AT2's had half an inch of tread depth in the P-rated tire (plus snow rated, though I live in Texas I visit the mountains and family on occasion). I wanted the extra aggression for off road durability and looks. Even though I probably leave the pavement more than most here (I bet 90% never do) I still am on the pavement most all the time to work and back, so I want a tire that is good on the road and tough enough off road. More time with the Generals they have been an excellent tire but have gotten louder over time as they wear but are nice and smooth on the highway but I want something a little more street tame this go around. I realize my next tire will be slightly less aggressive so it is a better tire day in and day out so I will go with the Coopers. The AT3 originally was an excellent tire punching above its weight class off road (it won an expedition portal tire test a few years back) while retaining excellent on road manners without much of an MPG penalty. The new 4s is even better handling nearly as good as the top AT street oriented tire (Continental Terrain Contact) while nearly matching the most aggressive AT tires off road, it really is one of the best all around tires on the market. Plus they are american made and run mid pack in terms of price (nearly $70 less than the KO's and $60 less in the XLT version for an apples to apples comparison). Plus they fixed one of the largest grips people had about the original AT3 and the passenger car looking sidewall, I'd be lying if that also wasn't a small factor in my decision before but the tread depth was the largest factor in going with the Generals. The 4s has one of the deeper tread depths at 14/32 in passenger form and are a few pounds lighter than the Generals and only 5 pounds heavier than stock. 

To the original question I would go with 4s and not the LT or XLT unless all out looks or toughness off road and heavy towing regularly are needed. That is what I will be doing next year as I have about 35k on these Generals and they should wear out around 50k (just shy of the 60k warranty). I will replace sooner if another back country trip comes up and the tread depth isn't enough for my liking. 

Tyler 

Tyler,

Thanks for the info.  On the 4s, will you be running 275/60r20s?  Wasn't sure if you had a 20' rim or not, but that is what I am looking at currently.  Just a size up from the 275/55r20 Goodyear Eagle LS2s that came on the truck when I purchased it.

15 minutes ago, MattGMC2014 said:

Tyler,

Thanks for the info.  On the 4s, will you be running 275/60r20s?  Wasn't sure if you had a 20' rim or not, but that is what I am looking at currently.  Just a size up from the 275/55r20 Goodyear Eagle LS2s that came on the truck when I purchased it.

Just to butt in, I thought about going to the 60's when I bought mine but I went with the stock 275/55r20 becasue I couldnt make up my mind and I wanted to get rid of those Goodyear SRA's ASAP. Might go to the 60's next set for just that little tiny bit of extra sidewall. Tread depth is the same between the two at 12.5/32, but the 55's are an XL load where the 60's are SL.

Edited by Cupton