VHF/UHF Radio Interferes with Car Radio

I have a 2019 Silverado, Crew Cab LT and have installed a VHF/UHF amateur radio in it. Upon keying up the VHF, (i.e...146.520 MHz) side of the radio on 50 watts the car radio volume decreases to no volume at all. It only does it on distant broadcasting stations and not local stations. Also if I remove the car antenna it doesn’t do it either.

He is my setup and attempts to troubleshoot.

• Main VHF/UHF radio unit is under rear seat.
  • External amateur radio antenna located on driver side rear bed rail.
  • VHF/UHF radio running off of external battery power not car battery.

Troubleshooting,

• Replaced car radio antenna with shorter stubby antenna (No difference).
  • Placed a handheld (HT),  VHF/UHF on 5 watts near external car radio antenna. (Volume decreased like before).
  • My friend has a Ford F-150 and I put my handheld next to his external car radio then keyed up the (HT) radio and it didn’t decrease his car radio volume at all.

My last thoughts are that the VHF/UHF Radio Frequency (RF) is getting into the front end of the car radio and overloading it. Or the car antenna is not grounded or shielded properly against RF interference. Also the car was purchased with aftermarket window tint so I’m not sure if it is causing any increase in RF.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance,

Phil - KF4RAF

Greetings Phil,

I'm going to venture a guess that your chassis ground is floating (since you're running off an independent battery and not the truck battery). Also since you're seeing the same problem with your HT.

I would expect that your HT and rig in the truck would act the same.

For grins, I'd take it off independent battery power, temporarily ground the UHF/VHF rig to chassis, make sure the antenna is grounded to chassis, temporarily connect your rig to truck battery power, and try the exercise again.

The front end on the F-150 good-times-radio must be tighter than ours. I've not had a chance to install my rig in the new AT4, but did not see this problem in my '17 Canyon when it was wired to truck power.

I'll venture out later today with my HT and see if I have the same issue. In the interim, maybe someone else can chime in.

Hi Eric,

I probably should of mentioned I did in fact installed the radio initially connected directly to the positive and negative side of the battery. I used a mag mount dual band antenna on the roof and had the radio grounded to the driver side seat mounting bolt. One other finding is if the FM broadcasting station is close by it doesn’t do it. Meaning the closer station is not effecting my transition. However, distant and weaker stations are effected and lowering my FM radio volume.

My major concern is I don’t want it to potentially damage any other electrical components. I can live with turning off the car radio or listening to my iPhone connected to the car radio if need be.

Thanks again,

Phil KF4RAF