In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
ws6firebirdta00

Pinion Angle Sanity Check

All - just looking for a sanity check on my numbers here. I removed the rear blocks on the truck to level it with the front (I am short so it helped me reach in the bed too haha) and have been curious about the pinion angle. Most feedback I saw seemed to indicate the block removal would not be an issue.

So here is what I finally measured to make myself feel better. This is on a 2018 crew cab, short bed Sierra w/Z71 package:

Transfer case u-joint points DOWN towards the rear end at 4.8°

Rear end u-joint points UP towards the transfer case at 2.7°

The driveshaft angle is 2.4° sloping down towards the rear of the truck

So if I look at front vs. rear yokes, I get a difference of 2.1° sitting static in the driveway.

On my WS6 I always ran -2° of pinion angle so under load it would zero. It seems to be a general recommendation here as well for the truck. If I use the same logic here (if I can), I should be sitting just fine for loaded conditions. As I load it, the rear pinion will point up towards the transfer case more, bringing it closer to 4.8° plane of the transfer case.

In that case, the rear pinion and transfer case would be in parallel planes. The driveshaft angle will be approximately 2.5° different at the u-joints. 

I *THINK* that should be OK, but looking for a sanity check. 

I post all that too now think through that will give me a positive pinion angle under load. I just keep confusing myself. Is it important that the front and rear are on the same plane or to maintain the proper differential angle at the U joints?