Let me see all the other 6.0 gas trucks towing heavy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the heaviest load with my truck, but one I've hauled regularly, the 5'er with the family. Camper is 8700 dry, so with full water, food, generator, grill, family, luggage, etc, I reckon I'm around the 10k mark. The most I hauled which was one time, 3 miles in the country at a slow speed, was about 8 yards of sand in a dump trailer. I know it was overweight (truck gross towing is 13,900; vs 2500/ yard of sand), but I was in a pickle for such a short distance.

NCM_1319.JPG

Edited by carkhz316

Thanks for the compliment. This is the 3rd, 3/4 ton gasser I've owned. Current (above) is a '12 with ~116k miles on it. I'm the second owner (bought it from the original dealer in SW MO) and have had it since May '15. I really like it a lot as it's quiet, smooth, and comfortable to ride in. I'd DD it if gas costs/ mileage weren't of concern. Prior trucks were a '03 ( virtually exact same configuration as my '12), and a 99 2500.

Your truck makes me miss my '03. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that truck. It rode perfect (194k), no noise, squeaks or leaks. It was getting rusty, despite my best efforts to keep it clean, and admittedly factored in my decision to upgrade. I hope to stave off rust with this truck with judicious use of Fluid Film, which seems to be working so far.

Yeah I’ve had 3 trucks since 16 yrs old (20now) had a 06 f250 and a 06 dodge 2500 both were diesels the dodge kept costing me a lot of money so I traded it in nov of ‘17 for this gas 03 it had 145k on the clock it now has almost 163k and it has been rock solid! I’m in the process of swapping in a rear 4.10 geared axle out of a 02 2500hd and a front diff out of a 03 2500hd won’t make a big difference but enough for what I need.

I think you'll appreciate the 4.10's over the 3.73, especially if you're hauling heavy like above. As to the 6 speed, I think the extra couple gears certainly helps with towing and hauling. 1 and 2 are much shorter compared to 1st in the 4L80, so that helps a bunch getting started up to speed. It shifts nice and smooth, but firm when it needs to be. While I don't work it often, I feel like 6th is strictly a unloaded highway gear, as any moderate load kicks it out of 6th pretty easy.

I would like to have a 6.0 6speed combo about like yours next but it will be awhile before I pull the trigger on one I still enjoy this one every time I drive it and it is in pretty good condition for age and mileage. I take care of maintenance to a TEE so it’s got a lot of life left

On 8/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, carkhz316 said:

Thanks for the compliment. This is the 3rd, 3/4 ton gasser I've owned. Current (above) is a '12 with ~116k miles on it. I'm the second owner (bought it from the original dealer in SW MO) and have had it since May '15. I really like it a lot as it's quiet, smooth, and comfortable to ride in. I'd DD it if gas costs/ mileage weren't of concern. Prior trucks were a '03 ( virtually exact same configuration as my '12), and a 99 2500.

Your truck makes me miss my '03. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that truck. It rode perfect (194k), no noise, squeaks or leaks. It was getting rusty, despite my best efforts to keep it clean, and admittedly factored in my decision to upgrade. I hope to stave off rust with this truck with judicious use of Fluid Film, which seems to be working so far.

question for you, have you used this setup on a 12k  lb load up extended grades? I have the same setup and considering a 34 ft %th wheel, but no experience. will I be the guy at 30mph in the right lane watching his temperature climb?

question for you, have you used this setup on a 12k  lb load up extended grades? I have the same setup and considering a 34 ft %th wheel, but no experience. will I be the guy at 30mph in the right lane watching his temperature climb?

2011 sierra 2500 hd. 6.0 gas. I have no problem swapping to 4:10 ( currently 3:73.) Guy doing the swap can program and chip the unit, he is an expert at this.

I put a Jasper trans in at 102,000mi,  everything else on the truck is either new or in great shape. total miles are 145K on truck. I have owned it since new and know every inch of it and all maintenance. Highly motivated to keep it for 5th wheel use, just want to hear from experienced users about the limitations.

13 minutes ago, solarboy said:

2011 sierra 2500 hd. 6.0 gas. I have no problem swapping to 4:10 ( currently 3:73.) Guy doing the swap can program and chip the unit, he is an expert at this.

I put a Jasper trans in at 102,000mi,  everything else on the truck is either new or in great shape. total miles are 145K on truck. I have owned it since new and know every inch of it and all maintenance. Highly motivated to keep it for 5th wheel use, just want to hear from experienced users about the limitations.

I would go ahead and swap the gears for the 4.10s (I’m fixing to in my 1500hd) it should bump you tow capacity up to around 13k and it would be a little less stress on the drivetrain to get the load up and going. Another thing You may want to consider is a upgraded transmission cooler I put a trucool 40k in mine and I have not seen over 170* no matter how hard I push the truck towing. I also put a Hayden severe duty fan clutch in my truck it stays at 200 coolant temp while it’s 95* outside no matter what I’m towing.

11 minutes ago, solarboy said:

good advice! I will add those to the list to ask mechanic! Thx!

No problem! Only thing with that tru cool 40k cooler is I have to cover it in the winter time I did not get the optional bypass valve and my trans temp won’t go above 100* if it’s 45* and below, also that severe duty fan clutch is a good bit louder than factory but it doesn’t bother me if I can hear it that means it’s doing it’s job?

Edited by 03chebby