Question Re: Trailering Hookup Assist, GM Part Number: 84363181

2 hours ago, UncleDave said:

Does anyone know exactly what is included in this app? Trailering Hookup Assist Part number 84363181. The description is not very helpful, and I cannot find any details or pics anywhere. My truck currently does not have the Trailering app, so I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to have this installed.

I got it installed on my truck. Basically, it adds the 'Trailer Lights' option, the 'Camera' option, and a rear backup line thing to assist in hooking up to a trailer. I forgot to take pictures of the 'Camera' icon but it just pretty much brings up the rear view camera on demand. If you're parked or stationary (ex: at a red light), it stays on until you close it. If you're moving or once you start moving, it immediately shuts off. If you bring it up while you're driving, it gives you a 10 second timer on the top right then it closes.

Edit: I almost forgot. My dealer had to keep the truck overnight because they didn't know how to do it. It was the first time that the dealer I went to got anything from a customer from 1) the GM Accessories page since apparently I was the first ever customer to get something from there and they tried to double charge me for install/work because after about 2 hours of them trying to see where the money was sent to and saying I never paid, they finally found out the money was in another account (parts account I think is what they said) and 2) They never had to install this before at all oh and they didn't want to give me a loaner. So I was bumming off a ride to and from work from a co-worker. I hope your dealership experience with this would be better! And remember to save documentation from your bank that says you already paid for the parts/labor.

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

Edited by Semedar
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Semedar said:

I got it installed on my truck. Basically, it adds the 'Trailer Lights' option, the 'Camera' option, and a rear backup line thing to assist in hooking up to a trailer. I forgot to take pictures of the 'Camera' icon but it just pretty much brings up the rear view camera on demand. If you're parked or stationary (ex: at a red light), it stays on until you close it. If you're moving or once you start moving, it immediately shuts off. If you bring it up while you're driving, it gives you a 10 second timer on the top right then it closes.

Edit: I almost forgot. My dealer had to keep the truck overnight because they didn't know how to do it. It was the first time that the dealer I went to got anything from a customer from 1) the GM Accessories page since apparently I was the first ever customer to get something from there and they tried to double charge me for install/work because after about 2 hours of them trying to see where the money was sent to and saying I never paid, they finally found out the money was in another account (parts account I think is what they said) and 2) They never had to install this before at all oh and they didn't want to give me a loaner. So I was bumming off a ride to and from work from a co-worker. I hope your dealership experience with this would be better! And remember to save documentation from your bank that says you already paid for the parts/labor.

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

That's what I hoped was included, thanks! This looks like a worthwhile addition. If I can order it through my dealer, then hopefully it won't be a major fiasco to have it installed. If they balk then I'll try to find a dealer that has done it before.

The trailer app came with my SLT included in the towing package or Premium Plus package I guess.

Aside from items already mentioned, mine includes a SECOND camera, which switches from rear view to OVER view looking straight down at my hitch.  Combined with the remote control I have for my trailer's electric jack motor, its sweet hooking up by yourself.

I also like the connections diagnostics, plus it now allows me to keep track of my trailers actual mileage, instead of me guessing.  also reminds me to switch on "Trailer/Haul" mode which I used to forget all the time!

• Like 1

So I contacted my dealer, and have this on order. Apparently, it's ordered and shipped as an accessory, possibly on some physical media like a USB stick, to the dealer which will take 7-10 business days. You'd think that software would be delivered electronically these days, but alas... So looking at a couple of weeks out to have it installed.

20190819_155024.thumb.jpg.19b4fea4d7f7419f98e3a29854aa56de.jpg

11 hours ago, UncleDave said:

So I contacted my dealer, and have this on order. Apparently, it's ordered and shipped as an accessory, possibly on some physical media like a USB stick, to the dealer which will take 7-10 business days. You'd think that software would be delivered electronically these days, but alas... So looking at a couple of weeks out to have it installed.

Unless you already have the dual cameras already installed on your tailgate, I don't think you'll get the third camera view for hitching, which is too bad.  However, you'll love the other aspects of it I'm sure.

Edited by DiverRick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DiverRick said:

Unless you already have the dual cameras already installed on your tailgate, I don't think you'll get the third camera view for hitching, which is too bad.  However, you'll love the other aspects of it I'm sure.

I don't have the second camera. I saw one early demonstration video where the hitch view was just a digital zoom of the bottom area of the regular camera angle view. I've never seen one like that in real life, and it seems a bit kludgy, so it probably was dropped in production in favor of the second camera on upscale trims.

14 hours ago, DiverRick said:

I have to go to the dealer to special order the rear view mirror wire cover for the auto dim one I put in and when I’m there, I’ll ask if it’s possible to buy and have that third camera installed. Would be neat!

• Like 1

Well, bottom line is, I was told this cannot be installed on my truck because I don't have RPO Z82. Without that, GM will not provide the code to install the software. We also verified that all this particular update adds is the single trajectory line for the reverse camera view, which I can certainly live without.

I would have considered this a complete waste of time, except I learned something, and I got to drive the truck another 50 miles which makes me happy. I love driving this thing!

Of course, if I had RPO Z82, I would already have this installed to begin with. Oh well, no biggie for me since I can still tow regardless. If I really wanted or needed this I would have bought a truck with it already installed from the factory.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, DiverRick said:

How do you know if you have dual cameras? I believe that one is a light and the other is a camera. Can you please take a picture of your tailgate?

The one on the right is a light, and there is only one camera. The hitch view is just a zoomed and flattened image fed by the wide angle backup camera. The hitch view feature can only be had on LT / RST trucks if they have the CPII with the HD rear vision camera and the advanced trailering package. It is standard on anything above those trims and impossible to get on anything below those. Similar breakdown on the GMC side with their equivalent trims.

3 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

How do you know if you have dual cameras? I believe that one is a light and the other is a camera. Can you please take a picture of your tailgate?

I'll take a pic tomorrow,  but you can tell for sure just turning on the camera app and see if there are two views or three views to choose from.

You'll see above I have three views, backup, back up with trailer in view, or hitching view, which switches the camera to one that points straight down.

But now that you mention it, maybe it is just one actual camera but it definately switches view to overhead instead of backwards.  What I thought was a 2nd camera turns out to be a light.   Duh..... ?

Either way, you either have that 3rd camera VIEW or you don't.  I don't have the "Max Trailering Package" I have the "ProGrade Trailering System" (PZ8) which includes the App and hitch view camera.  Hope that helps.

Edited by DiverRick

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

The one on the right is a light, and there is only one camera. The hitch view is just a zoomed and flattened image fed by the wide angle backup camera. The hitch view feature can only be had on LT / RST trucks if they have the CPII with the HD rear vision camera and the advanced trailering package. It is standard on anything above those trims and impossible to get on anything below those. Similar breakdown on the GMC side with their equivalent trims.

You are quite right!  I never got up close enough to look at it, nor seen the light on yet! 

Thanks...