Suggestions on dented top of tailgate

Hi all.  I lent my truck to a family member a few weeks ago (I know, that's the first "don't") and they some how put something to heavy in the back of my truck and the tailgate slammed down on something (not sure of the full story).  So they gave me some $ to get it fixed but the amount they gave me won't cover what it will take to get it fixed.  I may have to go back get more $ from them but was looking for any suggestions on either a tailgate cap or something else.  Or I may just have to get it fixed and get more $ from them (which they're willing to do, I just hate to ask).  What do you guys think?  I don't think it's horrible but also don't want to not find a solution!  Thanks in advance!

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

I don’t lend out my rides unless there’re worth more than me. Then I’ll usually give them rental money. You just can’t buy enough insurance coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson learned for you and the borrower!   Consider looking for small independent body shops.  They may be flexible on the price if it is not an insurance claim and/or if they can work on it between other jobs.  You could simply leave the tailgate with them.  

• Like 2

Donstar has a good point about the gate being removable.

Ask for a no rush or I’ll drop it off when your slow discount.

If it ain’t your forever truck around here anyway a lot of body guys do side work out of their garages (nights & weekends) also look into local vocational schools and community colleges to see if they have a auto body program (they got to learn on somebody’s vehicle).

Guys at lowes did that to my gate when loading something in my bed. Wrecked by bed liner too. My body shop quoted $5,000 to fix the damage lmao. Went through my insurance because i didn't want the run around. It has been over a year and they are still pursuing lowes.ef7a321c6ed74c2214edc90432234aa4.jpg48579d84e3f7918de3a2fa74fe548d47.jpgcdf00bce64c6777dad56364a85edc2d2.jpg5362f23a97a060b49b53142397aa897c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:07 AM, wforrest08 said:

Donstar has a good point about the gate being removable.

Ask for a no rush or I’ll drop it off when your slow discount.

If it ain’t your forever truck around here anyway a lot of body guys do side work out of their garages (nights & weekends) also look into local vocational schools and community colleges to see if they have a auto body program (they got to learn on somebody’s vehicle).

Thanks, great idea!  It is hopefully my forever truck and I know this can happen.  They gave me $  and said I could ask for more but hate to do that, it was an accident and I love the truck but family is more important.  Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, acinquegrana said:

Guys at lowes did that to my gate when loading something in my bed. Wrecked by bed liner too. My body shop quoted $5,000 to fix the damage lmao. Went through my insurance because i didn't want the run around. It has been over a year and they are still pursuing lowes.ef7a321c6ed74c2214edc90432234aa4.jpg48579d84e3f7918de3a2fa74fe548d47.jpgcdf00bce64c6777dad56364a85edc2d2.jpg5362f23a97a060b49b53142397aa897c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Man, so sorry that happened.  I figured they would be more gracious on that error.

Damn 5000 for that.  They can respray that tailgate and the bedliner.  The gate looks like there is nothing other than paint damage.  That plastic piece costs 50 bucks.  I know because I replaced mine after leaving my tailgate down while towing my trailer. When i turned the crank hit the tailgate and damaged it quite a bit.  I was able to get it repaired for a decent price.  The tailgate alone costs 1000. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, 1SLOW1500 said:

Just seen a local guy to me selling complete zero mileage tailgates for $250 each. They are white. Come of dealer trucks they convert over. Good deal if you need a gate.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was literally going to post the same thing.  Facebook Market Place/ Craigslist is full of K2xx tailgates for affordable money. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...