Loaded question - should I tow this?

Bought an 84 k5 blazer yesterday. Lifted 9" on 38" tires with 1 ton axles. Truck is a tank. I need to tow it home. My truck has the 3.42's and according to the manual is rated at 9600lb trailer weight or 11,600lb gcwr. The car trailers I'm seeing are close to 3000lbs and the truck itself is between 5-5200 which puts me around 8-8200lbs. I've got the brake controller in the truck so I'm good there. Towing is not a problem as I've done it most of my life but only with HD trucks. Y'all think this half ton can handle a 3hr trip through the hill country towing this thing?

In case my signature isn't showing, my truck is a 2014 5.3 crew cab short bed 4wd with a tune and headers. 

Edited by Centex14

31 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

The car trailers I'm seeing are close to 3000lbs

Does this mean you're considering buying one or renting one as opposed to one you already own?  Nothing you can do about the weight of the K5, but if you're really concerned about shedding some of that towing weight since you're going to be towing in hill country, there are lighter weight car haulers out there by at least a 1000 lbs. Aluminum and open deck for example.

As long as you’re under spec no problem as that is the end all die all!!!

Thats me being facetious. But seriously, yes. Your truck can handle it. Like I tried to get across in that thread, caution and experience carry far more weight than specs. I’d tow it with my old K5 or mid 90s K1500 without batting an eye, definitely no problem with a K2. Now be prepared for the internet tow police to scold you for pushing the envelope and putting their lives in danger lol. 

Bring on the pics of said K5!

I'm renting. This thing runs and drives just fine but a 3spd trans and mud tires on a 3hr drive would be brutal. 

She ain't pretty but it's a starting point for a father daughter project. She's so happy we own a monster truck now. 

sztqaUW.jpg

Edited by Centex14
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

I'm renting. This thing runs and drives just fine but a 3spd trans and mud tires on a 3hr drive would be brutal. 

She ain't pretty but it's a starting point for a father daughter project. She's so happy we own a monster truck now. 

sztqaUW.jpg

Like that body style this is my 1982 gmc Sierra crashed it when I turned 21 on my BIRTHDAY ? regret it every time I look at my pictures I’m gonna b 32 years old on August 31

3CB92AE0-E9A8-413A-9ED9-A526F164DAF5.jpeg

Edited by Frankielozano214

That's the plan. And I've already got an LMC catalog on the way. From what I've seen in pictures and the video my brother in law sent me, I've got about a $1000 in new panels to buy and replace and then body work and paint. Being a Texas truck all it's life helps even if it was a mud truck the last few years. 

2 hours ago, Centex14 said:

Bought an 84 k5 blazer yesterday. Lifted 9" on 38" tires with 1 ton axles. Truck is a tank. I need to tow it home. My truck has the 3.42's and according to the manual is rated at 9600lb trailer weight or 11,600lb gcwr. The car trailers I'm seeing are close to 3000lbs and the truck itself is between 5-5200 which puts me around 8-8200lbs. I've got the brake controller in the truck so I'm good there. Towing is not a problem as I've done it most of my life but only with HD trucks. Y'all think this half ton can handle a 3hr trip through the hill country towing this thing?

In case my signature isn't showing, my truck is a 2014 5.3 crew cab short bed 4wd with a tune and headers. 

Leave it in 4th or 5th and let the motor spin, it'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Centex14 said:

sztqaUW.jpg

Nice. I had one 15 years ago as a college commuter... 430 miles one way haha. Over 200k miles on it, I put 33s on it and a 2” lift. Had to jam a sock in the floor to plug a hole so I wouldn’t get wet in the winter.  I know of a guy back home who to this day only uses square body Chevies as his work trucks, towing, whatever. They’re awesome machines. One of my fondest memories was replacing the rear in my apt driveway junior year haha!

Nice K5.  

I tow a 24ft Enclosed car trailer... the Car and Trailer with Gear are right around 8,000lbs.  Same combo as you 5.3 with a tune/intake/exhaust.  Ive logged about 1300 miles just this summer towing the car to shows/etc.  

You will be fine with the 3 hr trip with the K5 behind you

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Centex14 said:

sztqaUW.jpg

She ain't pretty... She's bad a$$! Sold my c10 and a blazer is my next up on the list.