2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD CC Delivery Problem

I purchased a 2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD CC on August 16, 2019 from my local GMC dealer.  Prior to making the purchase the dealer stated that the truck was due to be dropped any day.  I made the deal for the 3500HD with the understanding that it was at the Kent, Washington holding lot awaiting transport to the dealer.  Several days went by and I inquired as to where the truck was.  The salesman said that it had an actual drop date of August 21st but it could be sooner.  Last Friday I contacted the dealer and asked where my truck was?  I was told that it was actually still at the factory going through Quality Control but not to worry as it had been "Red Tagged" for expedited shipping.  Here it is August 20th so I decided to contact my salesman and ask if the truck had been dropped or at least at the Kent holding yard?  The salesman said that he had asked his GM about the truck and was told that it was still going through Quality Control and they have no date for delivery.  Needless to say I'm not happy about this situation.

Is there something wrong with the latest production run or a parts shortage that keeps the factory from shipping mine and I'm guessing a lot of other peoples/dealers 3500HD's?

Edited by hawgwild

Update from my dealer:  Random built units are pulled off the assembly line for quality control checks.  Mine was one of the one's pulled for inspection.  The factory can hold the unit for 30 days before they release it for shipping to the dealer.  According to the dealer, mine has to be released for shipping no later than Sept. 9th.  It's been tagged for priority shipping once released as it's a sold unit.  Guess it's just the luck of the draw on my part to purchase a unit not on the dealers lot.  The good news is that the dealer is going to add the Trailer TPMS, front & rear premium all weather GMC floor liners and make my first payment.  Still not happy with how this whole transaction is going but not much I can do at this point.

Edited by hawgwild
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, hawgwild said:

Update from my dealer:  Random built units are pulled off the assembly line for quality control checks.  Mine was one of the one's pulled for inspection.  The factory can hold the unit for 30 days before they release it for shipping to the dealer.  According to the dealer, mine has to be released for shipping no later than Sept. 9th.  It's been tagged for priority shipping once released as it's a sold unit.  Guess it's just the luck of the draw on my part to purchase a unit not on the dealers lot.  The good news is that the dealer is going to add the Trailer TPMS, front & rear premium all weather GMC floor liners and make my first payment.  Still not happy with how this whole transaction is going but not much I can do at this point.

At least you know that GM gave it a thorough once over before you got it.

Given that you were initially told it was already at Kent, Washington holding lot, and now it was pulled for inspection from the assembly line, I wouldn't believe what the dealer was saying anymore.  I would try to get the VIN from the dealer, then contact GM directly on the vehicles status.

I have the VIN as I actually traded in my 2018 Chevy 2500HD High Country as part of the deal.  As the dealer didn't have my truck on their lot I'm still driving the High Country that now belongs to the dealer as they paid off the truck according to my credit union.  I'm trying to stay positive and given the sale price of the 3500HD CC plus what they gave me for my High Country and now the added accessories and making my first payment all I can do is wait.  I will see if I can find information about how to actually find a person at GM who will give me the info based upon my VIN.

1 hour ago, hawgwild said:

I have the VIN as I actually traded in my 2018 Chevy 2500HD High Country as part of the deal.  As the dealer didn't have my truck on their lot I'm still driving the High Country that now belongs to the dealer as they paid off the truck according to my credit union.  I'm trying to stay positive and given the sale price of the 3500HD CC plus what they gave me for my High Country and now the added accessories and making my first payment all I can do is wait.  I will see if I can find information about how to actually find a person at GM who will give me the info based upon my VIN.

What you need to find the vehicle status is the order number.

With it you can find out what event code the order is at. 

It will likely be a series of 6 or 7 letters (rather than an actual number).  Orders are tracked with the order number even after the order is built as gets its VIN/sequence number.

2 hours ago, hawgwild said:

I just sent an email to my dealer asking for the Order Number.  I'm guessing they will not give it to me but if they do I will use it to see for myself the progress.

Why wouldn’t they give you the order# ? 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 4:28 PM, hawgwild said:

I just sent an email to my dealer asking for the Order Number.  I'm guessing they will not give it to me but if they do I will use it to see for myself the progress.

Then I'd cancel and order somewhere else...