Picked up '20 Denali 2500HD-Review

Yes they’ve had several complaints, and during developmental stages they had this problem,and they thought it was resolved,but it’s still seems to be a problem 

Edited by foot 1
Update dropped the truck off yesterday,they road force balanced the tires, And the shimmy is still there ,so they set up an appointment for the middle of September the truck has 1300 miles on it now so it’s just not going to work it’s out

On 8/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, sdelam said:

I installed a banks iDash which lets me see which gear I am in. Interesting enough, whitout a load attached I start in 2nd gear everytime. Only time I start in first is if I select L. I havnt towed since installing the iDash so I cant say for sure that will drive it to 1st or not. I can tell you that during the first few hundred miles I would get an occasional surge from 1st-2nd/2nd-3rd? (guessing on gears because it was pre iDash). I havn't felt that in a few weeks though, was told the trans has a learning period to figure itself out, could exlain why it starts in 2nd now and I havnt felt that surge recently. 

You’re right, I used the manual function and figured out the rough downshift was from 3rd to 2nd. This is my fourth Allison tranny and all of the other trucks were bought new as well. It seemed like they were hurky jerky the first 400 or so miles. It’s just really sporadic. I hope it smooths out

• 4 weeks later...

1600 miles now and some issues

1. Battery went dead on our first camping trip, so dead I had to unlock the door with the key. Jumped it and no battery issues since (Embarrassing as all hell because everyone at the campground was usually admiring it)

2. SES light on second time for exhaust emissions. Going back in next week I imagine a full DEF system replacement ?

3. Pandora app is finicky. Infotainment app no longer connects to my account, apple car play takes forever, Bluetooth only works when I disconnect from the truck hotspot

I manually connected the truck to my house WiFi and the Pandora app began to function again! 2questions:

1. Do I need WiFi to use infotainment apps?

2. My WiFi hotspot is up but seems to cause issues with my phone streaming data and now pandora. Is it an OnStar function?

i thought I read my infotainment manual thoroughly so I apologize in advance 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, Shawn T said:

1600 miles now and some issues

1. Battery went dead on our first camping trip, so dead I had to unlock the door with the key. Jumped it and no battery issues since (Embarrassing as all hell because everyone at the campground was usually admiring it)

2. SES light on second time for exhaust emissions. Going back in next week I imagine a full DEF system replacement ?

3. Pandora app is finicky. Infotainment app no longer connects to my account, apple car play takes forever, Bluetooth only works when I disconnect from the truck hotspot

I manually connected the truck to my house WiFi and the Pandora app began to function again! 2questions:

1. Do I need WiFi to use infotainment apps?

2. My WiFi hotspot is up but seems to cause issues with my phone streaming data and now pandora. Is it an OnStar function?

i thought I read my infotainment manual thoroughly so I apologize in advance 

Called OnStar and answered my own questions

1. Yes, and you have to pay for a data plan through OnStar

2. Rhetorical, no data, no Wi-Fi, no apps

On a side note, the infotainment system is a dinosaur.  They handcuff you with the OnStar data plan.  For example, if I want to browse Pandora via the system, I have to use Apple Car Play.  If I use Car Play, I lose the function of GM infotainment such as temperature display and shortcuts.  This is phone tethered and using blue tooth.  You cannot "thumbs up" a song anymore you have to physically do it on the phone.  In a nutshell my 2015 had more functionality with Pandora than the 2020.  Disheartening.

2 hours ago, Shawn T said:

Called OnStar and answered my own questions

1. Yes, and you have to pay for a data plan through OnStar

2. Rhetorical, no data, no Wi-Fi, no apps

On a side note, the infotainment system is a dinosaur.  They handcuff you with the OnStar data plan.  For example, if I want to browse Pandora via the system, I have to use Apple Car Play.  If I use Car Play, I lose the function of GM infotainment such as temperature display and shortcuts.  This is phone tethered and using blue tooth.  You cannot "thumbs up" a song anymore you have to physically do it on the phone.  In a nutshell my 2015 had more functionality with Pandora than the 2020.  Disheartening.

I'm with you on the info system being behind.  I enjoy using apple car play buy hate having to plug in, what's the point of the wireless charging if I have to plug in every time I want to use Waze

• Like 2

Shawn, i have at&t service for my u cellular. you can add your truck to your plan for like 15 dollars a month and share unlimited data from your truck through your plan.

i have a 2017 sierra denali 1500, a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V and a 2018 Cadillac XT-5 all sharing data on my ATT plan.

i bet if you enable the data on your wifi, you can connect your trucks pandora and all the other services through the in car wifi service. that's how i do it.

BTW see your in Pueblo. i live in the Springs i plan to get a 2020 HD duramax in a few months.

18 minutes ago, bass mechanic said:

Shawn, i have at&t service for my u cellular. you can add your truck to your plan for like 15 dollars a month and share unlimited data from your truck through your plan.

i have a 2017 sierra denali 1500, a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V and a 2018 Cadillac XT-5 all sharing data on my ATT plan.

i bet if you enable the data on your wifi, you can connect your trucks pandora and all the other services through the in car wifi service. that's how i do it.

BTW see your in Pueblo. i live in the Springs i plan to get a 2020 HD duramax in a few months.

Cool thanks Kevin, I will call Verizon.  I have the business plan and I need to remove an obsolete tablet.  Maybe I can replace my truck with it.  Yeah, myself and 2 others ordered the first HDs in Pueblo.  Ironically all 3 2500 Denali Ultimates with the Duramax.  Mine is Carbon Black Metallic, a silver one, and a burgundy one. 

11 minutes ago, Shawn T said:

Cool thanks Kevin, I will call Verizon.  I have the business plan and I need to remove an obsolete tablet.  Maybe I can replace my truck with it.  Yeah, myself and 2 others ordered the first HDs in Pueblo.  Ironically all 3 2500 Denali Ultimates with the Duramax.  Mine is Carbon Black Metallic, a silver one, and a burgundy one. 

Shawn Verizon cant help you, the cellular device in all GM vehicles runs on AT&T network. so unless you want to change service providers to ATT anyway the only way you can get data is through onstar. frankly IMO either company is hit or miss as to the coverage map in our state. i like ATT because i also have direct TV which is AT&T as well.makes for easy billing and easy to access account combine services. i believe they even provide home security of some type.

so if you need a new tablet, might as well hit the AT&T store and see if there are any other benefits to switch from Verizon.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:29 PM, jd64 said:

thanks guys for the input, i haven't had time to do anything yet and thought i would give it some miles to see how it progresses since it seems very subtle and i cant seem to feel it through out the truck.     iam at 675 miles.    i still wonder if it has something to do with the DSA steering? 

mike  , do you know if the field engineer has heard of this problem before you spoke with him?

I have a 2016 which is also known to have had issues with the steering and a shake. My truck does the exact same shake that you all speak about on the 2020. I find this a little interesting. 

On 9/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, Chrisw253 said:

I'm with you on the info system being behind.  I enjoy using apple car play buy hate having to plug in, what's the point of the wireless charging if I have to plug in every time I want to use Waze

I just bought those USB cables with the magnetic tip ends so that I can just quick connect my phone to use my Android Auto. I still haven't found a way to display text messages on the truck screen.

I don't think I have the shimmy issue with my '20 Silverado LT 2500 Gasser. But when I test drove the truck it pulled to the right quite a bit with the Z71 Wranglers. The dealer swapped the front tires from side to side and said it drove straight now. Eh, not really, it pulls to the left now but not as aggressively. He said that the tires will wear/break-in and should be fine. I have almost 800 miles and it does seem to have gotten better, but I haven't checked it lately.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, bass mechanic said:

Shawn Verizon cant help you, the cellular device in all GM vehicles runs on AT&T network. so unless you want to change service providers to ATT anyway the only way you can get data is through onstar. frankly IMO either company is hit or miss as to the coverage map in our state. i like ATT because i also have direct TV which is AT&T as well.makes for easy billing and easy to access account combine services. i believe they even provide home security of some type.

so if you need a new tablet, might as well hit the AT&T store and see if there are any other benefits to switch from Verizon.

Yup, so I just circumvented that issue. I have unlimited cellular data, so I just hotspot the truck to my phone now.  I leave the hotspot button on so my truck has the wifi name and password memorized, full use of all apps for free now.