2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 bluish/white smoke on initial start

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 with 3,000 miles on it. The first time I remotely started it (one week after purchase) I noticed a bluish/white smoke coming from the exhaust (see video below). I have continued to remotely start it to monitor the exhaust and it’s output. The only time the vehicle smokes is on initial start up in the morning or anytime the vehicle has remained off for longer than an hour or so. I contacted the dealership and corporate GM; both have told me that this is a normal characteristic of these vehicles. I am not willing to accept that at this time. Is any other 2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 owners dealing with this same issue? If so please let me know. 

Thanks,

JO

397D02E3-5C5D-4CB4-B90A-FD048226F379.png

Edited by Justin Odom

I just purchased a 2019 high country w the 6.2 and am having motor problems 3 days after I picked it up and has been at dealer since. They asked me if I noticed any white smoke because that could be a sign of coolant leaking into cylinder. My check engine light is on tho and would think yours would be too if that was the case.  

3 hours ago, Chrislisaj said:

Just noticed it on mine this morning. 2019 5.3L V8, visible smoke coming from exhaust. Haven't had it for a month yet,  bought with 22 miles on it, now has 2000 miles on it... ugh. Mine was probably more "gray" in color but still.

If the smoke is thin white and disappears quickly this is normal.If the smoke is any kind of blue or light blue it is oil burning!

On 8/28/2019 at 12:39 PM, ct_corey said:

This bullshit with GM not fixing broken vehicles is getting out of hand. 

Nothing new.  Gm and other manufacturers do this all the time.  It's not right, but they do it and can get away with it.  But I don't get mad at my dealer, as i realize they can only fix what they know how and have been trained how to fix.  I get mad at corporate. 

This is a "normal" characteristic of a DI engine. They are programmed to fire the injectors twice in order to run extremely rich on cold startup, thus heating up the cats more quickly and reducing startup emissions. This is also needed for auto start/stop to fire the engine quick rather then sitting there cranking for a few seconds. Don't worry about it its normal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 8:31 AM, Chrislisaj said:

Just noticed it on mine this morning. 2019 5.3L V8, visible smoke coming from exhaust. Haven't had it for a month yet,  bought with 22 miles on it, now has 2000 miles on it... ugh. Mine was probably more "gray" in color but still.

Just curious if you were able to have this looked into? If so, did they resolve the issue? I am still dealing with mine smoking every morning and any time after the vehicle has been off for 2 hours or longer (sometimes not even that long depending on how far it has been driven). 

Completely black looking "sooty" colored puffs on startup are completely normal on these DI engines especially in colder months.

Any blue or white = not normal.

Justin, was the truck ever titled/licensed before you got it?

If so it may be someone else's lemon trade in for the same issue. Just thinking out loud here....

Good news is you have a full warranty if something gets worse or the problem persists.

9 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Completely black looking "sooty" colored puffs on startup are completely normal on these DI engines especially in colder months.

Any blue or white = not normal.

Justin, was the truck ever titled/licensed before you got it?

If so it may be someone else's lemon trade in for the same issue. Just thinking out loud here....

Good news is you have a full warranty if something gets worse or the problem persists.

It was a "demo" or "loaner" truck before I purchased it.