09 Silverado 1500 - Rust Rust Rust - Is it fixable?

Hello everybody.  Just joined and first time posting.  Looking for some advice.  I'm thinking about buying my uncle's 09 Silverado but it's in pretty rough shape underneath.  The rust is unreal for a 10 year old vehicle with 90k miles.  I'm a little scared to take on this project, to be honest.  My family is asking $4k for the truck, which is a pretty good deal, but not if I have to dump a ton of time and money into it.

I'm really just looking for advice from somebody who might have taken on a similar project.  Are frame components available for these trucks?  I found some information suggesting that I'd have to fabricate anything that's not bolt-on.  There's a good chance I'm going to have to replace the rear shock mounts (frame and axle tube) and the suspension stops are completed disintegrated.  I'm worried this thing is too far gone...

0813191748b_HDR.jpg

axle tube brackets.jpg

hitch reciever.jpg

Looks like the titanic.jpg

Ouch.jpg

rear frame crossmember - Copy.jpg

rear frame crossmember.jpg

rear frame.jpg

rear leaf spring attachment 2.jpg

rear leaf spring attachment.jpg

That’s definitely fixable, but you’d need to take the box, cab and front clip off, sandblast the frame and determine what needs to be replaced. It also depends on how cheap you can get the truck, and how much time and money you’re willing to put in to it. It would more than likely be easier just to replace the entire frame with a better one, provided the body is in good shape. If you were to repair the frame, I’d definitely want to make sure I’d be comfortable with a grinder and welder. You can buy all prefabricated cross members, cross tubes, leaf spring mounts, hangers and shackles. Then POR15 the frame, under oil it once or twice a year and you’ll be good. I picked an 06 up for $750 with a blown transmission, got a used one, put it in and I wire wheeled/chiseled all the rust off the frame and used POR15 to protect it and it cleaned up nicely, hope it stays protected for a few more years to come. Thankfully, there was zero rot. Just a bit of scaling rust and mostly surface rust on mine. I can’t believe how rusty that frame is though, it must have spent a lot of time sitting in grass in order to get that rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, MatthewRJensen said:

That’s definitely fixable, but you’d need to take the box, cab and front clip off, sandblast the frame and determine what needs to be replaced. It also depends on how cheap you can get the truck, and how much time and money you’re willing to put in to it. It would more than likely be easier just to replace the entire frame with a better one, provided the body is in good shape. If you were to repair the frame, I’d definitely want to make sure I’d be comfortable with a grinder and welder. You can buy all prefabricated cross members, cross tubes, leaf spring mounts, hangers and shackles. Then POR15 the frame, under oil it once or twice a year and you’ll be good. I picked an 06 up for $750 with a blown transmission, got a used one, put it in and I wire wheeled/chiseled all the rust off the frame and used POR15 to protect it and it cleaned up nicely, hope it stays protected for a few more years to come. Thankfully, there was zero rot. Just a bit of scaling rust and mostly surface rust on mine. I can’t believe how rusty that frame is though, it must have spent a lot of time sitting in grass in order to get that rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is the supplier,for cross tubes and cross members?

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.  I should probably count my blessings I made it safely through my move, towing a 5000 lb trailer 900 miles.  I passed through the mountains of WV with this thing.  

I've been looking for options for a doner frame but haven't found any real good options yet.  Everybody want stupid money for trucks around me and the cheap ones have salvage titles and questionable frame damage.   

I'm definitely comfortable with a grinder, have a nice a TIG welder, and an air compressor capable of keeping up with some sand blasting. I'm just not sure I have the time to do a frame off restoration.  It's a real shame since the body is in good shape overall and it's a low mileage truck ( for the age ).  

If I take on the project, I'll be sure to keep you all posted!!!