fuel mileage

I tow a 9k bumper pull toy hauler, have about 1200 miles towing it already and averaged around 10 MPG through Md/WV/Pa/Oh. 15 MPH around town, close 19-20 on the highway when I do the speed limit, a little less at 80-85.

• 2 weeks later...

In 3000 miles here is what I'm seeing so far.

•Daily driving about 16 miles highway daily with about 3 miles driving in town I'm averaging 17 mpg.

•All highway I get about 20 and have seen as high as 22.5 on a 50 mile trip.

•towing an 18' flatbed loaded to about 11000-12000 lbs I'm getting around 13 mpg.  The load catches some wind but not as much as a travel trailer will.  

Most of that driving has been in Missouri and Iowa so it's not flat, lots of rolling hills, but it's definitely not pulling major grades regularly either.

The 10 speed on this truck is amazing so far.  As long as it holds up it will be a winner for sure.

Edited by Irish80

I live in the Adirondack mountains, i am seeing 1-2 mpg better empty (17ish) than my '18 around town and the same improvement on longer trips(20). No Interstates yet

I averaged 11+ a few tenths towing our 41' 5th wheel (16400#) on 1300mi trips, the 10 spd is going to be awesome towing

Currently 450mi on truck, still pretty tight all around

Edited by powerhaulic

I've got less than 1000 miles on mine so far, but we just took our 36' TT weighing 9500lbs camping and I averaged 8.5 going and 8.7 coming back. This is the new gas engine, obviously. Very happy with the performance and towing tech GM put in these new trucks. The blind spot camera for lane changes when towing is nice, too.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:08 AM, sdelam said:

I tow a 9k bumper pull toy hauler, have about 1200 miles towing it already and averaged around 10 MPG through Md/WV/Pa/Oh. 15 MPH around town, close 19-20 on the highway when I do the speed limit, a little less at 80-85.

Same for me.  I'm around 13k on our boat that we pull.  9-10 pulling on the highway (75-80), 15 unloaded city, 19-20 highway unloaded.  17' 3500HD SRW L5P.  Anticipate the new HD will be the same.  Bigger truck, but 10 speed in theory offsets some of that.  Maybe marginally better (0.00003% better?)

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 6:43 AM, ShotgunZ71 said:

I've got less than 1000 miles on mine so far, but we just took our 36' TT weighing 9500lbs camping and I averaged 8.5 going and 8.7 coming back. This is the new gas engine, obviously. Very happy with the performance and towing tech GM put in these new trucks. The blind spot camera for lane changes when towing is nice, too.

so you have the new gas and not the diesel

For my gas 2020 2500 HD LT, I am seeing about ~15 MPG day to day; mainly country roads with 4 stop lights.  We just took our 9000k 36 foot TT to the NC/VA mountains, averaged 8.9 MPG on that trip.  I have a total of 2300 miles on the truck so far.  

Great truck!  Handled those mountains like they weren't even there.  Very satisfied.  

1 hour ago, Bnsfengineer2014 said:

ShotgunZ71 so you have the new gas engine and not the diesel

1 hour ago, Bnsfengineer2014 said:

so you have the new gas and not the diesel

Yes, I have the new 6.6 gas engine. Have a 14k 5th wheel to try this weekend. Interested to see if there is much difference in the pull. Most are saying the 5th wheel will be a far better pull.

Yes, I have the new 6.6 gas engine. Have a 14k 5th wheel to try this weekend. Interested to see if there is much difference in the pull. Most are saying the 5th wheel will be a far better pull.
We are just trying to figure out if the gas will be a better fit or a diesel. The fifth wheel will be a better pull my question would be fuel mileage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

I am very interested in your results with pulling that 14k 5th wheel.  Please let us know how that goes for you!

• Like 1