Improved Ride for 2020?

If Alex is to be believed, the suspension for 2020 has been re-tuned. Seems the changes for the 20s are ACC, diesel and re-tuned suspension. That diesel engine looks interesting, would have loved to test drive it. 

Moral of the story: If you don't like something about the truck, don't stop complaining. It turns out they do listen. 

2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Diesel Review 

• Like 1

Yeah. It obviously is no benefit to those of us who have already purchased but i'm glad to hear the ride has improved for future buyers. Honestly, ever since my truck broke in (currently at 1k miles), i'm not noticing much issues with the ride. It seems fairly well behaved now. 

It's a good thing for future buyer's if true. My 2019 feels more like my parent's HD compared to my 2018 which was like a Caddie. Pulled a 2-horse trailer over the weekend filled with furniture along with the bed and back seat, she rode like a dream. The empty load on the way back though was hilarious, rear end kept jumping sideways.

For me, i have no frame of reference, this is my first truck. I didn't expect it to drive like a car though admittedly, my AT4 does feel like a car sometimes. I have been told trucks like Tundras don't drive like a car at all and feel more like a tank barreling down the road. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

For me, i have no frame of reference, this is my first truck. I didn't expect it to drive like a car though admittedly, my AT4 does feel like a car sometimes. I have been told trucks like Tundras don't drive like a car at all and feel more like a tank barreling down the road. 

I'm in same boat, first truck... my 2019 rides like a dream.

but i want to find out what actually changed and if can be retrofitted. 

12 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

Yeah. It obviously is no benefit to those of us who have already purchased but i'm glad to hear the ride has improved for future buyers. Honestly, ever since my truck broke in (currently at 1k miles), i'm not noticing much issues with the ride. It seems fairly well behaved now. 

Good to see your post......I thought that it was just my imagination of maybe my a$$ getting numb. At 1.5K miles the suspension seems to be much calmer over expansion joints and less hoppy hitting bumps. Now it is certainly not worse than the '16 I traded. Shocks still need to be replaced with Bielsteins when the new ones arrive.

Same boat with my 19. Seems like everything kind of settle in after a few miles. I’m a little over 4,000 miles now and its wonderful 99% of the time. Every now and then it does something that catches me by surprise. 

35 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Good to see your post......I thought that it was just my imagination of maybe my a$$ getting numb. At 1.5K miles the suspension seems to be much calmer over expansion joints and less hoppy hitting bumps. Now it is certainly not worse than the '16 I traded. Shocks still need to be replaced with Bielsteins when the new ones arrive.

It's interesting, everything i've read so far indicates Bilsteins are generally stiffer than Ranchos. Wouldn't that make the hop worse? The reviews point to the 2020 struts being softer. I think i'm missing something here.

Will stiffer shocks give a better ride or are the upcoming Bilsteins supposed to be softer. 

2 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

It's interesting, everything i've read so far indicates Bilsteins are generally stiffer than Ranchos. Wouldn't that make the hop worse? The reviews point to the 2020 struts being softer. I think i'm missing something here.

Will stiffer shocks give a better ride or are the upcoming Bilsteins supposed to be softer. 

People assume that a softer shock=a better ride. That's not necessarily true. You ever see an old Cadillac or old truck hit a dip in the road and bounce up and down a few times after the dip? That's a soft shock or blown shock. There is no dampening there to help control the movement of the suspension. That's why on big bumps or uneven bumps with these trucks the back end seems to step out. The stock shocks are so under damped that the spring is basically pogoing and makes the truck step out. With a quality shock it will not do that or it will be way less aggressive than before. 

I'm no suspension expert and I'm sure there are cases where the opposite of this is true but I can say with first hand experience that is the case with these trucks and shocks.

I found with stock tires my at4 was all over the road. Put some 10 ply duratrac on. Problem solved. But in the end it’s a truck not a sports car. Even if they do refine the 2020 I don’t think I’d trade up. I’m pretty content with this one. Want a rough ride drive a 2500 hd. We had one for about a year. Never again lol

3 hours ago, Passivaggressor said:

People assume that a softer shock=a better ride. That's not necessarily true. You ever see an old Cadillac or old truck hit a dip in the road and bounce up and down a few times after the dip? That's a soft shock or blown shock. There is no dampening there to help control the movement of the suspension. That's why on big bumps or uneven bumps with these trucks the back end seems to step out. The stock shocks are so under damped that the spring is basically pogoing and makes the truck step out. With a quality shock it will not do that or it will be way less aggressive than before. 

I'm no suspension expert and I'm sure there are cases where the opposite of this is true but I can say with first hand experience that is the case with these trucks and shocks.

I'm no suspension expert either. I have been in a few sports cars with very stiff suspensions and their ride is not something i would call pleasurable, especially over rough surfaces. I think there is definitely a sweat spot between the 2 extremes. 

Wouldn't doubt if the change was tossing those junk rancho shocks into the trash bin where they belong. Just changing shocks will dramatically improve ride and handling in our trucks, 14-18 models included.

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

Wouldn't doubt if the change was tossing those junk rancho shocks into the trash bin where they belong. Just changing shocks will dramatically improve ride and handling in our trucks, 14-18 models included.

Pretty sure it's the same shocks, but adjusted.  No idea how much different it really is, but AOA and motor trend seemed pleased. Regardless, I wouldn't trade a 19 for a 20 because of it. You are better off replacing the ranchos with bilsteins or something else. Would cost less than what you would lose on your trade.