Improved Ride for 2020?

19 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

I have been told trucks like Tundras don't drive like a car at all and feel more like a tank barreling down the road. 

That's because they have a fairly high curb weight and a flimsy C-channel frame. The frame flexes so much you can really feel it in corners and over rough uneven pavement. 

Found some info

GMC has even re-tuned its suspension systems for 2020 with new springs up front that have reduced friction for a smoother ride. Out back, the leaf spring packs’ overload spring has been re-cambered to engage sooner, which GMC says improves handling. And all this work of course required new dampers too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PabloK said:

Found some info

GMC has even re-tuned its suspension systems for 2020 with new springs up front that have reduced friction for a smoother ride. Out back, the leaf spring packs’ overload spring has been re-cambered to engage sooner, which GMC says improves handling. And all this work of course required new dampers too

For which models? All?

Bigger changes than I would have guessed.  I am waiting on the diesel with 10 speed, guess these will be a few more welcome changes. Unfortunately prob going to be late March until I can scratch 10k off. So the 19s with the 5.3 8 speed and Hefty rebates is still a solid deal. 

Edited by lrtexasman

On 8/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, truck_newbie said:

It's interesting, everything i've read so far indicates Bilsteins are generally stiffer than Ranchos. Wouldn't that make the hop worse? The reviews point to the 2020 struts being softer. I think i'm missing something here.

Will stiffer shocks give a better ride or are the upcoming Bilsteins supposed to be softer. 

Thought the OEM Ranchos are bottom feeder Bielsteins like were on my Z71. Ride improved when I installed the better grade Bielsteins. Stiff or not have to be better than the crap they throw on the non Zs.  Not a problem now anyway after the first 2K miles and with `150 lbs in junk, jacks, and crap behind each rear wheel and 22" low profiles, it rides at least as good and handles much better than my '16Z71.

8 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Thought the OEM Ranchos are bottom feeder Bielsteins like were on my Z71. Ride improved when I installed the better grade Bielsteins. Stiff or not have to be better than the crap they throw on the non Zs.  Not a problem now anyway after the first 2K miles and with `150 lbs in junk, jacks, and crap behind each rear wheel and 22" low profiles, it rides at least as good and handles much better than my '16Z71.

Yeah, not noticing much bounce now at around 1k miles. I have the tires reduced to 35 psi. When i initially purchased, they were all pumped to 40 psi which was very bouncy. Also have a 50 pound hard tonneau cover which helps a smidgen. Will be adding a 40 pound bed mat soon which should help a bit too. 

On 8/28/2019 at 4:02 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

That's because they have a fairly high curb weight and a flimsy C-channel frame. The frame flexes so much you can really feel it in corners and over rough uneven pavement. 

Is this what causes the reverb feel while driving.  I have 35x12.50s on a 6in BDS lift with the factory Rancho with the x31 package.  All I can say is the small bumps and road imperfections make me want to jump out of the truck at 70+ mph.  The vibration reverb sucks.  I am hoping to get some coil overs soon but I have not seen many options yet.  Has anyone put coil overs on a 19 yet with 4-6in lift?  What will work.

I have the fox 2.0 in the back but it seems to stiff as well.  I might try throwing 200-300lbs back there to soften this up.  

Side.jpg

A big part of the rough ride people experience on these is largely related to the wheel. My 2010 had 18" and rode like a cloud, my 2015 was my first set of 20's and the truck was intolerable in comparison. I put on a 33x12.5 10ply to help with the lack of sidewall made a big difference but I will be reverting back to a 18" on my next one. Both trucks were All Terrains with Ranchos. I have taken an AT4 for a ride and don't notice it to be worse than my 15 AT was on stock tires. 

8 hours ago, STX30MAC said:

Is this what causes the reverb feel while driving.  I have 35x12.50s on a 6in BDS lift with the factory Rancho with the x31 package.  All I can say is the small bumps and road imperfections make me want to jump out of the truck at 70+ mph.  The vibration reverb sucks.  I am hoping to get some coil overs soon but I have not seen many options yet.  Has anyone put coil overs on a 19 yet with 4-6in lift?  What will work.

I have the fox 2.0 in the back but it seems to stiff as well.  I might try throwing 200-300lbs back there to soften this up.  

Side.jpg

I was talking about the Tundra. The GM trucks have had a boxed frame since 2007.

The GM trucks ride firm because they have a relatively low curb weight and a high GVWR. Good for hauling heavy payloads and towing but generally ride firm. Big heavy tires will make the ride worse due to the increased unsprung weight.

For what it's worth, my 2019 rides better than my 2014 did.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

A big part of the rough ride people experience on these is largely related to the wheel. My 2010 had 18" and rode like a cloud, my 2015 was my first set of 20's and the truck was intolerable in comparison. I put on a 33x12.5 10ply to help with the lack of sidewall made a big difference but I will be reverting back to a 18" on my next one. Both trucks were All Terrains with Ranchos. I have taken an AT4 for a ride and don't notice it to be worse than my 15 AT was on stock tires. 

100%

“00”x12.5 wide tires don’t help.

Your also adding a significant amount of rotational mass which overworks the suspension among other things.