In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hey all,

Yesterday I saw that some of the tiles on my roof were shifted a bit, seems like whatever material was there to keep them positioned has broken off. I’m guessing it’s because of the weight of the birds that like to rest on that section of my roof. Notice how my neighbors corner has material in between the tiles and mine is missing.

Any suggestions on how I should go about fixing this ? Roof is too high for me to DIY, so more than likely have to cal a roofer.

Thanks in advance 97bd47de2e517f6c7377caad7f9d0e7a.jpg5eb8fb4ca956768ed3a3e540d61d2a17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at those pictures again and I wish I could have shot that stupid bird for screwing with my roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of birds like to rest on a vertical part of your roof?  Or did you see them bend over and start pecking at it with their beaks?

It looks like whatever that stuff is, is still along the top of the roof, it just wasn't applied great on the vertical section of the tiles, and fell off.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you need a roofer, since you can't DIY, or find a handyman qualified to repair it.

Edited by txab
  • Like 1

The stuff you're talking about should be cement, birds are not going to be heavy enough or aggressive enough to do anything with it if it's done right.  Your tiles should line up like your neighbors, possible they moved because of the loss of cement.  But then again nails should have been through the holes on the tiles.  Call a professional to realign the tiles and replace the cement. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, arkenzo said:

Yesterday I saw that some of the tiles on my roof were shifted a bit, seems like whatever material was there to keep them positioned has broken off. I’m guessing it’s because of the weight of the birds that like to rest on that section of my roof.

Don't blame the poor birds, haha. That little mourning dove or whatever it is weighs about 4 ounces.

Hardly enough to do any damage to a tile roof. Weather (sun, wind and rain) is what beats up roof systems.

23 hours ago, aseibel said:

Weather (sun, wind and rain) is what beats up roof systems.

With the weight and thickness of tiles, they're pretty bullet proof.  But one thing that will beat them up is a fat roofer.