In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Car wash preferences

I'm a hand-wash only guy, too. Sounds like a lot of guys here are. I use Chemical Guys products on the exterior; their products are easy to work with and smell great. I glaze and wax one a quarter and spray wax every other wash or so. I try to get a wash in once a week but it depends on the unpredictable weather in KY. For the interior all I ever use is a damp microfiber rag. It cleans well with no streaks and keeps your interior looking new for years.

Just got my 2020 Denali a Leer Canopy.  Gets cold here during the winter so can't hand wash.  Anyone had good luck with this or experienced issues running it through the automatic wash during winter months?

In the winter I will go to the coin op place and spray off the salt/debris then go home and do a rinseless wash in the garage. Been doing this for years.

Ryan B.

Dirt mountain roads are the norm harsher conditions than most.

Summer hand wash with whatever car soap I can get on sale. 

Winter only high pressure wash. 

Wouldn't use a car wash. 

Meguiars 2.0 Synthetic wax twice a year.

Works for me.

:)

I recently tried the Maguire's spray on ceramic, To be honest I didn't think it would do much but to my surprise I was very impressed. I used it on my Canyon and wow did it make it pop. 

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cvanlierop said:

Just got my 2020 Denali a Leer Canopy.  Gets cold here during the winter so can't hand wash.  Anyone had good luck with this or experienced issues running it through the automatic wash during winter months?

The worst that happens is the parking sensors get wonky for an hour or two afterwards on really cold days. But I still do the touchless wash at least once a week. Better than nothing.

6 hours ago, Likarok said:

I recently tried the Maguire's spray on ceramic, To be honest I didn't think it would do much but to my surprise I was very impressed. I used it on my Canyon and wow did it make it pop. 

The Megs ceramic is really good, but I switched over to this and it’s absolutely incredible. Lasts for months and the paint is extremely slippery. Set something on the hood and it slides right off. Short of a professional coating there’s nothing better.

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-products/hybrid-solutions/turtle-wax-hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-coating/

On 9/3/2019 at 7:51 AM, Lunar68 said:

Watch out using a car wash with the spinning brushes...I used one in a pinch a while back and it lifted the red part circled on my picture. Its only held on with clips apparently...Glad it didn't fully pop off in the wash. I only hand wash or go touch less now. I started using the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic and it seems to keep it clean for a while. 

truck.jpg

You mean the fish gills?

• 5 months later...

Touchless is pretty much worthless to me. They always leave a dirty film all over the car. I do use them in the winter months to knock some of the salt off. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, smit303 said:

Touchless is pretty much worthless to me. They always leave a dirty film all over the car. I do use them in the winter months to knock some of the salt off. 

And if you spring for the top wash you get that dirty film waxed! 

:rollin:

• Haha 1

Some touchless washes are actually pretty good now. The newer the facility the better. In the winter it comes down to:

A) Leaving the salt on.

B) Washing 90% of it off in touchless wash.

C) Scratching the piss out of a black truck in a brushed automatic wash.

You can guess which one I go for. 

On slightly warmer days it’s no problem to follow up with waterless wash product and a few microfiber towels to get whatever the touchless wash missed.

I choose the quarters method. Find a nice spray hand held wash and plug about $5 with of quarters for the winter time. I detail on the side during the summer months and use an electric sprayer to knock off all the big debris, and then garden house, 2 buckets, and Torque detail products. I like their Mirror shine polymer spray wax. I put it on every other car wash. For interior a use a 4 to 1 cleaning solution in a Tornador spray gun. Hook it up to a compressor and it makes easy work of interiors. 
Will be moving into my brand new house in April and I am extremely excited to never use a car wash again. Will do it inside garage all year long. 

Since I have hard water where I live, I only use a car wash by my work (with soft water) for years. They do a great job washing, then I detail it in my heated garage to clean all the hard to reach spots. Then it gets a coat of Meguiars Ultimate quik wax. 

• Like 1

Unlimited automatic car wash two to three times a week for the last 15 years with several different trucks and cars at several different car wash places.

Pull up to the first guy who hoses the truck off then he pushes a button and the truck is pulled through the car wash and all kinds of spinning brushes go around and over my truck with me sitting in it.

Then drive to the drying area where two or three guys or girls hand wipe everything off and put tire shine on.

Then I drive away with a clean truck in 10 minutes or so or I pull it around to their free vacuums and vacuum it out myself if it needs it.

I have never had any scratches or damage to any vehicle ever.

I do hand wash my 2003 Corvette convertible though.

• Like 1

Unlimited automatic car wash two to three times a week for the last 15 years with several different trucks and cars at several different car wash places.
Pull up to the first guy who hoses the truck off then he pushes a button and the truck is pulled through the car wash and all kinds of spinning brushes go around and over my truck with me sitting in it.
Then drive to the drying area where two or three guys or girls hand wipe everything off and put tire shine on.
Then I drive away with a clean truck in 10 minutes or so or I pull it around to their free vacuums and vacuum it out myself if it needs it.
I have never had any scratches or damage to any vehicle ever.
I do hand wash my 2003 Corvette convertible though.

Hit it with the right light/angle and I guarantee you will see the defects in the paint. It’s inevitable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Hit it with the right light/angle and I guarantee you will see the defects in the paint. It’s inevitable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They come from the factory with defects in the paint That's inevitable too. I'm not one, anymore, to get out a ladder and spend hours washing my truck. It's too hard on an old man. Just don't want to.

It looks fantastic after the car wash is done and I love a clean vehicle!

I'm happy!