Anyone else get their rear window defrost recall letter?

Just like it says.  Found a letter in the mail today from Gm of Canada identifying the rear window defroster as faulty and a fire hazard.  I already knew this as mine already had issues I haven't done anything with.  The two metal tabs with fingers that connect the center glass to the passenger side overheated resulting in the solder breaking off, melting the plastic cover and shooting the cover and one tab across the cab of the truck.  I have read the other guys having the windows blow up which thankfully mine did not do.  Even a kid at work had the window shatter in his 2014 Denali from this.  For now GM is only pulling the fuse until they come up with an actual solution. 

Edited by SierraHD17

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my letter last week, ill take it soon for oil and tire rotation and get that looked at.

if all they are doing is pulling the fuse, no need to rush i guess.....

Edited by Talbot

I've had the letter for a week or two.

Already had the fuse out.

I figure if it burns, and the fuse was still in, neither GM or insurance would likely pay if the notice was ignored.

I think its dumb you can't disable it via the controls for remote starts.  That's when it blows the window up for most people.  In the southern US it would not matter but the northern states get cold so I can see it heading there too.  Our climate isn't that much different.  

16 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

I think its dumb you can't disable it via the controls for remote starts.  That's when it blows the window up for most people.  In the southern US it would not matter but the northern states get cold so I can see it heading there too.  Our climate isn't that much different.  

Auto rear defog can be disabled in the personalization settings....

Yeah I got it too. I think this is going to end up the same way as the Heated Washer Fluid recall did several years ago. It will never get fixed. Do really think GM is going to change hundreds of thousands of rear truck windows. I will believe it when I see it.

I am also assuming that the heated mirrors are also disabled when the fuse is pulled??????

Edited by Likarok

10 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

No it can't... American trucks it can be... I have yet to find it on mine even under the air quality tab where it supposedly is on the US trucks.

Just checked it again.

On my Cdn '18 2500 it can be set to off.  

Well good for you I guess... no option to turn it off anywhere on my own truck.  Could be a trim difference thing... I don't really care that much.  I can turn the heated seats on and off for remote start in case they ever potentially start fires.

Edited by SierraHD17