Oil

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

I used Mobil 1 when he was in diapers.

?

I used Mobil 1 for what seemed forever and found it solid as a rock. I paid almost, what I would have paid for some of the others too. All that is 'back in the day'. Yea, when he was in diapers.

When I look at is on a chemistry level tell ya what I see. An oil that is 'less' for 'more'. The current chemistry is several steps backward from the 'back in the day' PAO formula it no longer is and there are a dozen other oils that are $2 a quart cheaper with more robust chemistry. AND made of the same Group III bases. Seriously it is about the same as Casey's ? oil. It isn't a bad oil. Use it if you like but you could be spending less and getting more with store brands...……… 

If that is your thing. 

• Like 1

Y'all do realize y'all got trolled into this conversation yesterday.

EVERYONE is on notice. This gets even the slightest bit out of hand, reports received,  vacations will be handed out

Where ya sending me? Vegas for SEMA?

[emoji23]

e3a80b0db26b1b9a010be676139147ef.jpg

Ryan B.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to use ONLY Mobil1 Annual protection, great oil. efd448879b6145a37f7ef72794a95cf4.plist

But then fell in love with Amsoil for its extremely high protective and cleaning properties.
c8ff7af2b3e9e2d0cc21786fc1dfb11b.jpg

I’ve got 2 Amsoil Oil filters left, then switching to Napa Gold for shorter intervals or Wix XP for longer intervals, both capturing as small as 20-21 microns.

Sent from Above

I used Mobil 1 for what seemed forever and found it solid as a rock. I paid almost, what I would have paid for some of the others too. All that is 'back in the day'. Yea, when he was in diapers.

When I look at is on a chemistry level tell ya what I see. An oil that is 'less' for 'more'. The current chemistry is several steps backward from the 'back in the day' PAO formula it no longer is and there are a dozen other oils that are $2 a quart cheaper with more robust chemistry. AND made of the same Group III bases. Seriously it is about the same as Casey's [emoji507] oil. It isn't a bad oil. Use it if you like but you could be spending less and getting more with store brands...……… 

If that is your thing. 

Grumpy, What’s your favorite cheaper oil that would be your go to if Amsoil and Redline weren’t not available and why?

Sent from Above

This is what I’m always finding, individual bottles of Mobil1’s Annual Protection are literally the same price as Amsoil Signature Series.

Mobil1 Annual Protection
b3d899bc72576d8e4d90a8529aa733cc.plist

Amsoil Signature Series
626101fef06c80203239322189cd55ec.png

Sent from Above

21 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Grumpy, What’s your favorite cheaper oil that would be your go to if Amsoil and Redline weren’t not available and why?

Sent from Above

I was always fond of Phillips products until the quit making Trop-Artic. It was a no apologies needed straight up Group II that nailed it at 2.5K OCI's back in the day. Thing is there is the little fish eating the big fish and the big fish supplying the little guys so ….. I'd have to go find my notes to pick one. I'll get back to ya after dinner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I used Mobil 1 when he was in diapers.

The commercial with him and Clint Bowyer is pretty funny if you ask me. But that's not why I use it c'mon man.

I use it because it works and it's cheap at Wallys.

I'm  not keeping my trucks for 10 years or 300,000 miles either so why waste money on the most expensive oil just to get all warm and fuzzy.  

I don't think I ever said anything bad about Amsoil other than the price. I think we all know its good oil.

So is redline, shaffers, and Casey's ?

Here's a list that Amsoil made.

I'm actually surprised it's not on more "lists"

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/parts/g1286/car-motor-oil/

Don't fret, you very easily could go ten years and 300,000 plus miles without using the expensive oil, in fact millions of people have. And will continue to. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Amazon Basics Synthetic, Castrol, Super Tech Synthetic,  Rotella, Royal Purple. Drive to 300,000 miles, hell drive to a million miles...all of those oils can do it. Easily.

I don't let my oil change intervals go further than 5,000 miles in a direct injection engine....any of these ^^^^oils can easily handle that. And I always check my oil level every few weeks. 

But I like Amsoil and Redline too, very good oils with outstanding base stocks and add packs...but even then I'm not doing extended drains on a direct injection engine. 

PS -- I once took a Honda Accord to 300,000 miles using Super Tech conventional (car never saw a drop of synthetic in it's life). Engine was the least of it's problems when I sold it...rust...rusted brake lines, evap lines, fuel filler neck, exhaust.     

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

Ive used castrol conventional and then synthetic forever, never heared anyone say its great or terrible.  Its on the list so Ill probably stick with it.

Castrol is at or near the top of a lot of "lists".

Didn't John Force shill that stuff???

I ran Castrol 2 stroke oil in my sleds for years and never had an issue. Ran clean too.

Edited by dieselfan1

Ive used castrol conventional and then synthetic forever, never heared anyone say its great or terrible.  Its on the list so Ill probably stick with it.

You should be good as long as you’re on top of it as well as using great filters. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Castrol European version is what my wife’s new BMW X5 uses, I still pour half a quart of Amsoil Signature Series in it after every oil change performed by dealership, extra reassurance lol

Sent from Above

Castrol is at or near the top of a lot of "lists".

Didn't John Force shill that stuff?[emoji2957][emoji383]

I ran Castrol 2 stroke oil in my sleds for years and never had an issue. Ran clean too.

Valvoline and Castrol were my go to oils back in the 90’s, then Mobil1. But, I ran my motors hard back then and did my oil changes between 2k-2500k miles. Oils back then are no where near as good as todays oils. As motors evolve so do motor oils and motors have jumped leaps and bounds since then so a great idea is to make sure your favorite oil has too.

Sent from Above

My granddaughter was over last night. The one that drives the old Chrysler 300 I mentioned when people talk trash about Chrysler products. It’s close to 300K. All oil changes at quick lube places. At various mile intervals. The only thing I can say for sure it wasn’t driven hard. I need to take a picture of that thing next time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1