Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

redwngr

3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

Recommended Posts

Thanks for that awesome review. I ordered a truck with the 3.0 and this makes me more excited for one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had mine for a week. 4x4

The timing is dual chain. The oil pump is wet belt drive. The pump is variable and oil pressure is set to whatever the truck decides. To change the belt you back off the tranny a few inches and swap the belt. No weird timing; just put a new belt on.

I'm of the opinion that stop start is HORRIBLE especially for diesels. Range makes a module .005 to stop it without having to press the button over and over.

The 0W-20 is bad, its used for CAFE - EPA. Run a FA-4 10w-30, there are no specs on dexosd but I bet its FA-4 NOT CK-4. The HT/HS is super low at 2.6. Terrible for a 15:1 engine with 40psi+ turbo. This may void your warranty so a smart consumer should carry 7 qts of dexosd and do an oil change prior to returning to dealer because they do test the oil. 

 

I'm getting 27 mixed and 31 hwy unloaded and light with no wind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I test drove a new 2020 Duramax 1500 crew cab short box last month and really liked the way the engine power curve and transmission shifted in concert. IMO, currently this is the best engine and transmission combo offered in the 1500 GM trucks, worlds better performance than I expected and the truck feels nimble in town.

When they supply crew cabs/standard box to the dealers I will look to trade my 2017 in.

I do plan on towing up to 6K lbs., I also enjoy this truck empty cruising at 1500 RPM its a nice truck!

I've owned many GM trucks and my biggest problem with the last two 2014 & 2017 1500 trucks has been the 6 speed transmission mapping and the throttle lag, I don't enjoy driving unless I'm on the highway not towing heavy loads.  

The last Chevy diesel I owned was a 1983 C2500 6.2 Detroit diesel what a change!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have just over 4000 miles on my 3.0L now. Still has been a great engine/tranny combo. Still impressed by the power when I get on it. Still averaging about 22.5 with all in town driving and a lot of idling with the colder and snowier weather. That is with my larger duratracs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, wizard4878 said:

but higher cost of fuel,  cost of DEF,  higher cost for an oil change, even if you do it yourself...

Not to mention that the newer diesels don't get the mpg's like the older ones plus they destroyed diesel fuel by taking the sulfur out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, becker87 said:

Have just over 4000 miles on my 3.0L now. Still has been a great engine/tranny combo. Still impressed by the power when I get on it. Still averaging about 22.5 with all in town driving and a lot of idling with the colder and snowier weather. That is with my larger duratracs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

I have a AT4 on order and very curious how the 3.0 is in the winter weather? test drove one and it was incredible but the weather was also great. just wondering how it handles the cold canadian winters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fast acting glow plugs don't disappoint. The thin oil in a Canadian winter seems correct. Make sure you get the heater cord as the plug in on the front driver side bumper is a non standard plug. My plug was coiled up hidden under the back seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yousaveone said:

The fast acting glow plugs don't disappoint. The thin oil in a Canadian winter seems correct. Make sure you get the heater cord as the plug in on the front driver side bumper is a non standard plug. My plug was coiled up hidden under the back seat.

Is that not factory shipped with the truck for the diesels no matter what? wouldnt shock me if GM charged extra for it though ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't had any issues yet with the colder weather, granted its only been in the high teens/ low 20s. As we role though winter I expect it to be tested but don't foresee any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LM2 (3.0) includes a block heater, just like it's big brother has always had.

 

If it's like the 2020+ HD, the cord is now separate and connects to a plug somewhere on the front of the truck, instead of being coiled up inside the engine compartment. Hence the 'under the back seat comment. 

I'd guess he's suggesting to make sure the cord didn't get removed from the truck.  Loose accessories sometimes seem to end up in the clean up department or in some sales persons office, or just swiped by someone. Especially if the truck was sitting on the lot.

 

Assuming it starts like the 6.6L's, the block heater won't be needed to well below 0*F/-10*C.

 

 

In media release, GM claims the 3.0L will start unassisted as low as -30C/-22F and assisted as low as  -40C/-40F

From: 

https://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2019/Jun/0603-silverado.html

 

Ceramic glow plugs used in the Duramax 3.0L heat up more quickly and hotter than conventional metal-based glow plugs, helping the engine start and heat up more quickly in cold weather. The Duramax 3.0L achieves unassisted and assisted starting temperatures of -30 C (-22 F) and -40 C (-40 F) respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, redwngr said:

LM2 (3.0) includes a block heater, just like it's big brother has always had.

 

If it's like the 2020+ HD, the cord is now separate and connects to a plug somewhere on the front of the truck, instead of being coiled up inside the engine compartment. Hence the 'under the back seat comment. 

I'd guess he's suggesting to make sure the cord didn't get removed from the truck.  Loose accessories sometimes seem to end up in the clean up department or in some sales persons office, or just swiped by someone. Especially if the truck was sitting on the lot.

 

Assuming it starts like the 6.6L's, the block heater won't be needed to well below 0*F/-10*C.

 

 

In media release, GM claims the 3.0L will start unassisted as low as -30C/-22F and assisted as low as  -40C/-40F

From: 

https://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2019/Jun/0603-silverado.html

 

Ceramic glow plugs used in the Duramax 3.0L heat up more quickly and hotter than conventional metal-based glow plugs, helping the engine start and heat up more quickly in cold weather. The Duramax 3.0L achieves unassisted and assisted starting temperatures of -30 C (-22 F) and -40 C (-40 F) respectively.

If it can start no issues at -30C I would be very impressed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrisd534 said:

If it can start no issues at -30C I would be very impressed

Won't be long and someone will try it....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, becker87 said:

Drove an RST with the 3.0L today at the dealership.  Have it on hold and may go back tomorrow to get it.  Power felt strong and was very quiet.  Seemed the 10spd was hunting a bit but the truck only had a few miles on it.  Can't say much about the drive/truck itself as it is the first of this generation I have driven.  Does anybody know if the upgraded mirrors can be added on to a truck that did not come with them?  Either the tow mirrors or the side mirrors with lights.

I've got the lighted side mirrors,  they don't turn on when moving but will just about blind anybody next to them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I Picked up my Duramax RST Z71 Crew Cab Short Box on Saturday (30 November),  the drive home was just under 100 Miles in rainy day Los Angeles area traffic.  if any of you have ever driven in that you know how white knuckled I was the whole trip.  the Truck performed perfectly with an average of 28 mpg and a best of almost 33 mpg.  I Didn't even turn the sound system on until the day after,  I love the Bose 7 speaker setup, even watched Star Wars on Netflix while linked via my IPhone.   the park assist is a godsend when my wife drives, I really don't want to replace my garage door.  I've still got to get used to the height and larger turning radius over my previous truck (Built 2000 Dakota R/T) but I'm getting there.

  After researching and shopping online, and in person at  non Duramax trucks, I found mine (and no others in the entire state) in Fontana.  My local dealer in Ventura told me the truck was sold, so I called myself and made the drive the next day.  I'm Glad I did,  Rotolo Chevy  was a very good sales experience. 

 

  So far I only have three issues:

1:  There has got to be a way to disable the auto shutoff for good.

2:  Is the software available to upgrade my infotainment 3+ system to have navigation?  if so the dealer parts and service guys don't know about it.

3: What the hell is up with the shift lever getting stuck in park if you accidentally use the steering wheel to get into or out of the truck  or bump it a little after shut-      off?  I'm getting tired of wrenching the wheel back and forth over and over again just to get moving.

 

Diesel on base here where I work (Port Hueneme) is about the same price as mid grade so I'm happy about that, as my last truck got 10 mpg hwy on a good day. 

 

image0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.