In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

redwngr

3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I driven my share of diesel trucks, all before the low sulfur change. Their mileage and durability was incredible. My brother and nephew continue for awhile. They weren’t as reliable after the changes. I read here that sometimes you can’t stop driving when you want to because of regen. Even in the light duty diesel. That alone would deter me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, you've 'heard' a lot of stuff wrong. 

There is a lot of 'misunderstanding' about how regeneration works.  

Was really hoping this thread would stick to experiences driving/owning the 3.0, not whether diesels are a good idea or not. 

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Apparently, you've 'heard' a lot of stuff wrong. 

There is a lot of 'misunderstanding' about how regeneration works. 

Read it here, you can’t stop during regen. That’s the only comment I made about that. I didn’t mention the cost replacing those emissions parts when they fail. That I’ve heard from owners who choose delete instead.

Read it here, you can’t stop during regen. That’s the only comment I made about that. I didn’t mention the cost replacing those emissions parts when they fail. That I’ve heard from owners who choose delete instead.

I might add after re-reading the thread. I was following the pattern of this thread. I’m also will add any info is good info to a point. I bought my 14 GMC without research. I went awhile almost 10 years between new trucks. I was extremely happy with my last 04 Z71. I bought a 06 trailblazer SS after that. I didn’t do as much traveling for work so I bought my 92 hot rod truck and sports car to go back and forth to my office. Getting a call from my ex son in law salesman on 12-13-13 pushed me towards buying a new truck. Didn’t have time to do research, first time ever. After all I was happy with my last one. The 15K off was to good to pass up. Big mistake. I hated the new 5.3. Love the truck and the power. I didn’t like Cylinder Deactivation. That started a pattern of me buying good deals to get out of vehicles I didn’t like. I miss my sports car. I would have really been upset if I sold my 92. So I try to input experience and what I’ve read to give people more to think about. You don’t like it block me.

Sorry that your original question seems to have gotten lost along the way, but that is what generally happens with most.    As far as the question,  I think that it hasn't been out long enough for anyone to form an opinion.  I've been watching at a couple of dealerships, one just average sized and one quite large and neither have been able to get one with the new 3.0

As far as owning and driving its like most everything else,  ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers.  Several of my friends have the HD's with diesels and they all like the power,  but most don't like how much more they cost to maintain and drive everyday.  Now having said that, they all said they didn't regret buying one and in fact most said they aren't likely to go back to gas.

I guess it all boils down to what you want,  when you find one at the dealer, go drive it and form your own opinion, after all, your the one that is going to pay for it

Edited by wizard4878

Drove an RST with the 3.0L today at the dealership.  Have it on hold and may go back tomorrow to get it.  Power felt strong and was very quiet.  Seemed the 10spd was hunting a bit but the truck only had a few miles on it.  Can't say much about the drive/truck itself as it is the first of this generation I have driven.  Does anybody know if the upgraded mirrors can be added on to a truck that did not come with them?  Either the tow mirrors or the side mirrors with lights.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, KARNUT said:

I've stopped during regen many many many times with an LMM, an LML and now with the L5P. 

Depending on how the posted were worded the were at least misleading, at most they were wrong.

I've stopped during regen many many many times with an LMM, an LML and now with the L5P. 

Depending on how the posted were worded the were at least misleading, at most they were wrong.

After you quoted me I did an internet search. Evidently you stop during regen too many times it can force a regen too burn off soot. Maybe in light duty operations they’d address that. It’s worth researching before purchasing. It appears it’s not seamless going from gas to diesel. People should know that.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, becker87 said:

Drove an RST with the 3.0L today at the dealership.  Have it on hold and may go back tomorrow to get it.  Power felt strong and was very quiet.  Seemed the 10spd was hunting a bit but the truck only had a few miles on it.  Can't say much about the drive/truck itself as it is the first of this generation I have driven.  Does anybody know if the upgraded mirrors can be added on to a truck that did not come with them?  Either the tow mirrors or the side mirrors with lights.

Well did you get it? 

Well did you get it? 
Just waiting for the dealer to wash it for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, becker87 said:

Just waiting for the dealer to wash it for me.

Awesome. Post up some pics when you get it. 

Not the best pic and have since added my tool box. Drove about 200 miles today up to the inlaws through some pretty bad weather and crazy wind. On the 40 miles of interstate at 80 mph was getting 23. Not much wind at that time. Later in trip driving 60-65 was getting 29.1. was getting mid 20s during the bad part of the storm driving around 60.

Still only have about 200 miles on it. Will keep you up to date.26296.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, becker87 said:

Few more...

Good looking truck! If I ever was to get one these Id also opt for the RST trim, unless i had additional money around for an AT4 lol.

I wonder if you can get max tow package with tow mirrors in RST?

1 hour ago, becker87 said:

Few more...

Man, looks just like the one I have on order. RST Z71, if it has the full bench instead of the console I would swear you got my order. 

Man, looks just like the one I have on order. RST Z71, if it has the full bench instead of the console I would swear you got my order. 
Nope sorry has the two bucket seats with black leather.