3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

Can you guys give me some insight about the warm-up time of the engine?
Maybe compare it to a previously owned gas powered truck, if possible?
Thx

so long
j-ten-ner
Honestly have not even seen a glow plugs light yet, granted it hasn't seen anything below 40 degrees yet. From what I have read no extra care is needed until below negative 30 degrees

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jim71 said:

I  don’t believe these vehicle requires any special treatment whatsoever possibly in extreme cold weather situations you let it run for a minute or two before driving away without heavy  throttle load . But that’s how I drive my gas vehicles as well . All in all I believe these products manufactured today are incredibly well engineered and don’t need a lot of special care or attention .

29 minutes ago, becker87 said:

Honestly have not even seen a glow plugs light yet, granted it hasn't seen anything below 40 degrees yet. From what I have read no extra care is needed until below negative 30 degrees

My apologies. I should have made the question more specific.

How long does it take to reach operating temperature compared to a gas engine?

Usually it takes longer for a diesel to fully warm up.

I was just thinking (hoping) that the 3.0 has a similar cooling system as the 2.7 four cylinder.

so long

j-ten-ner

My apologies. I should have made the question more specific.
How long does it take to reach operating temperature compared to a gas engine?
Usually it takes longer for a diesel to fully warm up.
I was just thinking (hoping) that the 3.0 has a similar cooling system as the 2.7 four cylinder.

so long
j-ten-ner
Doesn't seem to take any longer but hasn't really been cold enough out yet to really test it. Should know more by weeks end. Suppose to see 18" of snow here by Saturday.

1 hour ago, becker87 said:

If the glowplug system is similar to the 6.6L system, the glowplug 'on' time will be very short, even in cold weather.  

Since the 3.0 is a new release nobody (outside GM) has cold weather experience with it.

We'll know a lot more in 6 months...

On 10/7/2019 at 6:24 PM, KARNUT said:

Waaay back in 1997 my power stroke diesel wouldn’t give you full power until it was warmed up a little. I’m sure they have it covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that why the "fast idle stick" was invented? ?

Edited by Cpl_Punishment
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I did it, ended up keeping the 2019 and will make it a crew truck.  The 3.0 duramax is a highway cruiser.  Set cruise at 65 for the first hour home and was seeing 31 mpg.  This is with a leveling kit and larger tires.  At 75 it dropped down to 27-28 mpg.  Drive home from the dealership is 176 miles and so far I love it compared to the 5.3.  Will make the first tow in a week and a half after putting about 600 more miles on it.  Will keep everyone updated.  

• Like 2

Well I did it, ended up keeping the 2019 and will make it a crew truck.  The 3.0 duramax is a highway cruiser.  Set cruise at 65 for the first hour home and was seeing 31 mpg.  This is with a leveling kit and larger tires.  At 75 it dropped down to 27-28 mpg.  Drive home from the dealership is 176 miles and so far I love it compared to the 5.3.  Will make the first tow in a week and a half after putting about 600 more miles on it.  Will keep everyone updated.  
Welcome to the club! I also just added a leveling kit and larger tires, curious to see what it does to mileage. Your even seeing better numbers than I have on the highway, granted it's never not windy here in North Dakota

650 MILE UPDATE...............Mileage has dropped a little or maybe the computer is getting use to the way I drive.  Last trip avg 26.8 mpg over the 350 mile trip.  That is around 70-82mph.  I will tow the RV this weekend and will give another update.  Still really enjoy the engine.  

• Like 1

650 MILE UPDATE...............Mileage has dropped a little or maybe the computer is getting use to the way I drive.  Last trip avg 26.8 mpg over the 350 mile trip.  That is around 70-82mph.  I will tow the RV this weekend and will give another update.  Still really enjoy the engine.  

Thanks for the info. I’m considering trading my 2019 5.3 AT4 in on a 2020 3.0. Looking forward to further updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Firetrout @becker87 are either of you willing/able to create a short video that shows passing power of this engine? Let's say a WOT run from around 55 and another WOT run from 70?

I feel like this is what I would miss most going from the 6.2L to 3.0 Duramax (if I ever have the opportunity to switch lol).  Obviously with the 6.2 I have zero issues getting around people on 2 lane roads.  With the 3.0 Duramax I suspect it'll take more road to make a pass.

Of course, 6.2 power isn't necessary for any of those situations.  When we take my wifes '17 Renegade with the 2L 4 banger which is a turd, I get around just fine!

I'm coming from a 2010 6.2L and I will say that I do not miss the gas motor. Passing power is great and much more instant which I think is a combination of the diesel tourqe an the 10 speed. I can try and get a video later today.

• Like 1

Few days ago at got in my truck after work.Temps were in the mid 30’s and the coldest my truck has seen since purchasing it.I suspect the coldest temps it’s seen yet.Anyway press the go button and I noticed a delay before firing almost 2 whole seconds, probably a ignition /heating event.So the question is ‘ anyone else notice a temp related ignition pause?

Few days ago at got in my truck after work.Temps were in the mid 30’s and the coldest my truck has seen since purchasing it.I suspect the coldest temps it’s seen yet.Anyway press the go button and I noticed a delay before firing almost 2 whole seconds, probably a ignition /heating event.So the question is ‘ anyone else notice a temp related ignition pause?
I have noticed mine pausing for a second or two to allow the plugs to warm up but really not an issue