3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

Chad Ivan just did a 103mile loop at 70mph showing him topping off before and after the loop at the exact same gas pump to check MPG, the truck also did a regen right at the beginning of the trip.

He has a crew cab short bed max tow 4x4.

DIC said 29mpg, hand calc was 30.  Video is worth a watch.  

4 hours ago, Rubyralph said:

Chad makes great video's about his new 3.0 truck!

What does the 3.0 "max tow" equipment include?

That's a good question... I haven't tried it recently but I recall that the Max Tow package isn't even available on the 3.0 Duramax.  I think the only thing you can do is get the Trailering Equipment packages and Tow Mirrors are an independent option which you can select.  The 3.0 Duramax must not require the enhanced cooling/gearing which is offered on the Gas trucks for Max Tow package.

42 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

That's a good question... I haven't tried it recently but I recall that the Max Tow package isn't even available on the 3.0 Duramax.  I think the only thing you can do is get the Trailering Equipment packages and Tow Mirrors are an independent option which you can select.  The 3.0 Duramax must not require the enhanced cooling/gearing which is offered on the Gas trucks for Max Tow package. 

"Very interesting" ?

• Like 1

So, there was a lot of posts on there, one post said the timing belt only lasts 150,000 miles and that the engine is done at 150,000 miles.

Is there any truth to either one of these?

45 minutes ago, jaslon said:

So, there was a lot of posts on there, one post said the timing belt only lasts 150,000 miles and that the engine is done at 150,000 miles.

Is there any truth to either one of these?

Yes, it is said that the belt, which I think runs the oil sump, will most likely require service at or around 150,000 miles.  The transmission has to be dropped to get to it I guess.  Guessing it would be more than few hundred to get that fixed haha... for someone like me who drives 10-15k miles per year... it isn't something that makes me want to say a hard No to this engine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Yes, it is said that the belt, which I think runs the oil sump, will most likely require service at or around 150,000 miles.  The transmission has to be dropped to get to it I guess.  Guessing it would be more than few hundred to get that fixed haha... for someone like me who drives 10-15k miles per year... it isn't something that makes me want to say a hard No to this engine.

Yeah, right now I am averaging 20k miles a year. My Pilot averages 25 mpg. If I can get a truck that gets 30 plus mpg, that almost sounds like a winner, but maybe the servicing a diesel engine is a lot more expensive.

2 hours ago, jaslon said:

Yeah, right now I am averaging 20k miles a year. My Pilot averages 25 mpg. If I can get a truck that gets 30 plus mpg, that almost sounds like a winner, but maybe the servicing a diesel engine is a lot more expensive.

Me either, but if I was using this new engine to tow across country or use as a high mileage work truck, it would be a service cost consideration.

2 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Not sure why GM engineered a diesel engine oil pump drive belt to last only 150K miles?

The Engineer's were up front speaking about the design of this new Duramax engine, but when I heard about the limit on the oil pump drive belt it was a big "red flag" for me.

I think the 3.0 Duramax engine with the 10 speed transmission sounds almost too good to be true.

We will see, only time and miles will prove its reliability, that said I can't wait to test drive one!

Edited by Rubyralph
grammer

8 hours ago, jaslon said:

First thing is come to the realization you will not get 30mpg plus with this truck unless you are driving 55mph everywhere.  I bet you could have a good chance of at least matching your Pilots mpg.

Im not exactly sold on diesels being a lot more expensive to maintain,  however,  when something breaks,  count on it being more expensive!

6 hours ago, Rubyralph said:

Not sure why GM engineered a diesel engine oil pump drive belt to last only 150K miles?

The Engineer's were up front speaking about the design of this new Duramax engine, but when I heard about the limit on the oil pump drive belt it was a big "red flag" for me.

I think the 3.0 Duramax engine with the 10 speed transmission sounds almost too good to be true.

We will see, only time and miles will prove its reliability, that said I can't wait to test drive one!

I'm not sure either but like you said lets see what happens as they are around longer.  

16 hours ago, Rubyralph said:

Chad makes great video's about his new 3.0 truck!

What does the 3.0 "max tow" equipment include?

11 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Order guide still shows no max tow for the 3.0L

NHT         Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator
On SLE and Elevation - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (Z82) Trailering Package, (G80) locking differential and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller. Not available with 22" LPO wheels or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.
On SLT  - Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Not available with 22" LPO wheels, or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package. 

NHT not available on other trims

But as mentioned, tow mirrors are now available without the NHT package.

Edited by redwngr
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

First thing is come to the realization you will not get 30mpg plus with this truck unless you are driving 55mph everywhere.  I bet you could have a good chance of at least matching your Pilots mpg.

Im not exactly sold on diesels being a lot more expensive to maintain,  however,  when something breaks,  count on it being more expensive!

I'm not sure either but like you said lets see what happens as they are around longer.  

If you are saying that the diesel engine will not get better than 25 mpg, what is point of getting one, if one is using this for mainly mileage, you are better off buying a gas engine.

8 minutes ago, jaslon said:

If you are saying that the diesel engine will not get better than 25 mpg, what is point of getting one, if one is using this for mainly mileage, you are better off buying a gas engine.

I was just trying to make a point that I wouldn't say the truck will get 30+ consistently, and don't trick yourself into buying one if you think you will get 30+ unless you purely drive ideal conditions.  I believe that upper 20s are certainly realistic. An owner on YouTube has proven this with his experience so far.  Not trying to downplay the mpg numbers.  Heck I hope more and more owners experience and can share their great MPG numbers with real world driving!