3.0L Duramax MPG - Sierra vs Silverado.. Wow!

Did anyone else read that the Sierra will be 3 or 4 mpg less, I think 4, on the highway vs the Silverado?  Im not sure if they meant all the Sierra models or just the AT4.

Anyone have confirmations or additional info?  

If all Sierra models trail behind 4mpg highway... man... that almost kind of defeats the purpose if your primarily looking for efficiency with this engine.

My own opinion... Id have to consider a Silverado RST... but realistically my current truck is going no where for a while so Ill keep dreaming haha.

EDIT: added link on 4th first.

I also checked fueleconomy.gov, the Sierra is rated 3 mpg less on their site vs Silverado. Interesting... now that the designs are becoming more unqiue, i suppose this is to be expected to some extent. 

Edited by SkiDooNick700

Unless one is 4x4 with the bigger AT tires then maybe 1-2 MPG but hard to see 4-5 mpg lost. That’s a big percentage. Where are you seeing this ? I’m actually thinking about trading my 19 Denali in for a AT4 diesel. 

3 hours ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

Or, maybe what you read has a typo?

3 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

It should be!  The Silverado 2wd vs Sierra AT4?  GM's the only one being forthright with MPG Stickers.

1 hour ago, f8l vnm said:

Unless one is 4x4 with the bigger AT tires then maybe 1-2 MPG but hard to see 4-5 mpg lost. That’s a big percentage. Where are you seeing this ? I’m actually thinking about trading my 19 Denali in for a AT4 diesel. 

45 minutes ago, Inline6DirtyMaxRST said:

I seen a video and the GM rep said that’s it’s because the AT4 has more weight then a Silverado mabe the Silverado is more aerodynamic also?. That’s just ratings too your gonna see -/+ depending on the driver. 

Should have included links to begin with, my bad! I guess Im jjust wondering, would a similarly equipped LTZ vs SLT truck get same mpg or qpuld the SLT get a few mpg less on highway? 

Even in this linkn its still a little murky whether the engineers are referring to the AT4 or all models.  Obviously yes the AT4 will be less than SLT for example.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/08/2020-gmc-sierra-1500-duramax-diesel-comparable-to-ram-1500-ecodiesel.html

Quote from link,

What the GMC doesn't do is match the Chevy's fuel economy numbers — the best the Sierra manages is an EPA-rated 23/30/26 mpg city/highway/combined for a rear-wheel-drive model, while the best Chevrolet model achieves 23/33/27 mpg. GMC engineers say the different aerodynamics and weight of the Sierra are the cause of the disparity. So if you're looking to maximize fuel economy, you'll want to opt for the Chevy, but if luxury appointments and more conservative styling are instead your jam, the GMC isn't exactly a fuel hog.

Edited by SkiDooNick700

And then there is the additional cost of DEF that has to be factored in..........purchasing more expensive diesel and then buying and adding containers of DEF to the second tank.

8 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

And then there is the additional cost of DEF that has to be factored in..........purchasing more expensive diesel and then buying and adding containers of DEF to the second tank.

Have you ever bought DEF or actually looked how much it costs?  Don't disagree that it is an added cost but considering the MPGs acheived by going diesel, the small added cost of the DEF is a non factor

45 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

As a 6.2L owner that runs premium, diesel would actually be slightly cheaper for me lol,  although it seems that diesel is usually pretty close in price.

Others would definitely have to adjust to increased cost of fill up however should be filling up a bit less frequently. 

52 minutes ago, becker87 said:

Have you ever bought DEF or actually looked how much it costs?  Don't disagree that it is an added cost but considering the MPGs acheived by going diesel, the small added cost of the DEF is a non factor

Correct. 

My 6.6's have run between 11 and 1200 miles per gallon of DEF.

Google says US cost for def is less than $3 per gallon ($2.74 at this time  https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA775CA775&ei=q3ltXZr8KIuOggeZspeQAg&q=us+def+prices&oq=us+def+prices&gs_l=psy-ab.12...8594.9066..11221...0.2..0.88.159.2......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i7i30j0i7i10i30.Zp1R0dBTF9c&ved=0ahUKEwja_a6u-7LkAhULh-AKHRnZBSIQ4dUDCA

2.74/1100 = $0.00249 --- 1/4 of a cent per mile....typical driver is 12,000 miles per year, so $30 or so.

Given that interest and depreciation on a new diesel pickup is likely somewhere around $12,000 per year, def cost is a non-issue. 

I'd certainly be betting that the DEF cost for the 3.0 won't be as high as the 6.6. 

(probably it will be the same DEF/fuel ratio as it's big brother since its the same chemical balance that needs to occur in the exhaust treatment chemical plant)

The link that Inline6DirtyMaxRST posted is has the fuel economy discussion with the reviewer and the GM engineer starting about the 10:40 mark.  This link should go to near that point for those that don't want to watch the whole thing.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1