2019 Silverado RST 8 speed automatic transmission

There is an updated fluid for the 8 speed. Seems that the original fluid was absorbing moisture and causing shuttering and some shifting issues. Being a 19 the production date would tell which fluid it had from the factory (I think they switched in March). Here is the TSB -> TSB 18-NA-355. It was updated in July to eliminate the need for testing. 

Jay

13 hours ago, Jay P said:

There is an updated fluid for the 8 speed. Seems that the original fluid was absorbing moisture and causing shuttering and some shifting issues. Being a 19 the production date would tell which fluid it had from the factory (I think they switched in March). Here is the TSB -> TSB 18-NA-355. It was updated in July to eliminate the need for testing. 

Jay

I talked to my dealer and they said that this service bulletin doesn't effect the 2019's?  Not sure if it's time for a new dealer or what...

23 minutes ago, jordanl010 said:

I talked to my dealer and they said that this service bulletin doesn't effect the 2019's?  Not sure if it's time for a new dealer or what...

The TSB you need is actually 19-NA-121. This covers the MQE 8L90 transmission in the T1 trucks. 

Attached here. Print this out and give it to your dealer. 

H/T @HondaHawkGT

MC-10163241-9999.pdf

Edited by econometrics
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

The TSB you need is actually 19-NA-121. This covers the MQE 8L90 transmission in the T1 trucks. 

Attached here. Print this out and give it to your dealer. 

H/T @HondaHawkGT

MC-10163241-9999.pdf 531.48 kB · 7 downloads

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

Man, my truck was completed March 29th 2019

Maybe I'll be okay. If not, glad there is a remedy already in place!

Yeah, mine was built 3 February. I have had a pretty smooth trans so far. But I think I'll have them do the fluid exchange when I go in for my next oil change and tire rotation around 7500 miles. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Yeah, mine was built 3 February. I have had a pretty smooth trans so far. But I think I'll have them do the fluid exchange when I go in for my next oil change and tire rotation around 7500 miles. 

So, we can have that done free of charge anyway if we want too?

I have about 3000 miles on mine so far. After the first 1000 miles or so I had some hard down shifts into first. It seems to have cleared up now though (fingers crossed). Haven’t had it happen in a while. It’s really smooth now, probably one of the smoothest gm transmissions I’ve had. Always seems to be in the right gear, and I can barely tell it’s shifting up or down unless I’m hard on the throttle.  I haven’t had anything done to mine but I bought it at the beginning of July.  

15 hours ago, Landon Wingate said:

How do I figure out my build date to know what fluid my transmission has?

You can ask your dealer for a build sheet by giving them your VIN, or email [email protected], provide them the VIN and they will email it to you.

If your truck was built before 1 March 2019, you have the old fluid.

• Like 2

^ Make sure you have the service bulletin printed out to show them. It took 4 trips for me to finally print this out and show them that my build date was prior to this fluid exchange. 

Also, I emailed the [email protected] account and got my build sheet the same day. 

Edited by jordanl010

Talked to my dealer and showed them a copy of TSB 19-NA-121 and they say it doesn’t apply to the problem with my truck. I’m getting an extremely hard shift between first and second as well as second to first. The problem is intermittent but the last time was the worst. Gradually accelerated and there was a loud bang when it went from first to second. The truck almost stopped then lunges forward. Luckily nobody was in front or behind me. I thought for sure something broke.