Brakes - 2001 Yukon XL 2500 4wd

tjg79

I'm looking to replace my entire brake system from the rubber hoses to the wheels. I've been shopping on rockauto. There's a lot of options. Does anyone have recomendations as to brand and aftermarket upgrades?

I can recommend NOT getting the Russell braided stainless steel brake hoses.  I bought a set for my truck, and they are just plain cheap

-washers were aluminum instead of copper

-connectors weren't bent like OEM hose connectors (or other brands)

-were incorrect lengths (one rear line was slightly too short, other rear line was too long and quickly rubbed through against the wheel)  And no, I didn't get them mixed up, as the lines are labeled with where they go

-front lines were missing a support in the center line the OEM hoses have, so it can rub against the a-arm and/or the tire

The Dorman line I replaced the rubbed through hose with

-was the right length

-connectors were bent like the OEM connectors were

-I'm pretty sure they came with copper washers.  it's been 3 years, and I'm pretty sure they came with copper washers, but there's a small chance they weren't included.  I am sure they didn't include aluminum washers.

I also replaced almost all the brake lines with GM prebent nylon coated steel lines.  They are pretty inexpensive, but fit right.  Only thing I didn't like about the kit was that it didn't include the lines across the rear axle, and which nobody seems to sell separately (some 3rd party kits seem to include them, but I'm not sure, as I couldn't find any kits that were for my cab&chassis truck).  If you are doing the rear hardline, you might also consider doing the fuel lines at the same time, as most people tilt or remove the bed to do the line, and then you have access to do the fuel lines as well.  And you might consider also doing the fuel pump if it hasn't been replaced.

Edited by davester

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, tjg79 said:

Thanks for that info on the Russell brake hoses. I'll avoid them. I was looking at the Powerstop brake kits until I saw they are made in China.

Not many parts are made in the USA. You'll actually find that a lot of parts for our trucks are made in Mexico.