Freeze plug on passenger side leaking

Johnathan Smith

Question

2 answers to this question

You are not likely going to like this answer, but, having done core plugs (that's actually what they are) in the past on many different engines, when one starts to leak, the rest are not far behind, so it is usually best to just pull the engine and replace them all while the weather is still nice.  You will be amazed as how much crap there is behind those plugs.  You would think that all the foundry did after released the block from the casting mould was to run their finger around the hole and send it to the machine shop.  You will need to replace at the least, all the lower down core hole plugs.  Not sure what they have for plugs on the back of the engine, and by back I mean between engine and transmission.  There may be some up front as well, behind timing cover.  And before you think that leak started on the outside and worked its way into the engine, it didn't.  I came from inside the block.   18 years is a good life for a core plug.  I think that is about 83 in human years.

I had a 97 Ram way back that used to go through those things like crazy. Replace them with brass and put the new one in the freezer for a couple hours before you change it. Makes it ever so slightly smaller and easier to go in.