In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

awright2009

Lowes scratched my truck

So I bought some concrete paver stones online, 35 in total, went to pick them up, but they didn't load them up front yet. Went with the guy to the garden center, which was the wrong place (they are actually inside) and finally we find the ones I bought. Turns out the ones I bought weren't the right ones, we load up the ones I actually want, I pay for them and have to go to the customer service desk to return the first ones. The guy says he will load the bricks into my truck while I straighten things out over there. I have a movers blanket in my truck and tell him to load them on the bed and not the tailgate on the blanket and head on over to the service desk. When I get back they are wrapping up, (with four or five guys helping there now) I drive slowly home and as I'm unloading I get to the point where I need to climb into the bed and notice a long white scratch.... :(

As I'm freaking out about that one, I call my bud to complain about it and as I'm talking to him I noticed over the wheel well further up there is a whole lot more

So I hang up with my buddy and call the store, they get me to a manager, and I'm just telling them in my shocked disappointment about what happened, they say they can pay up to $500 and have insurance for things over that and want me to get an estimate.

So I guess the world wont end, but I always hand wash my Truck and park far away from everything and do just about everything in my power to protect it from damage and then this happens. I could have bought a small amount of bricks over time and loaded them myself, I probably could have loaded these myself (after all I unloaded them myself without scratching anything) but figured it was a pretty easy job

What got it I think was they had these gloves on and must of put their hand on the side of the truck getting in / out of it

Maybe it's just the clear coat, but they seem pretty deep, hopefully the dealership can do a good job where I wont notice any blending

Pictures, in order I noticed them (They look way worse in person trust me)

https://imgur.com/gallery/ouFwlbi

Edited by awright2009

Wowthose are some big scratches. The same as you and I baby the paint on my truck to the point I do it all myself when it comes to loading. I had Lowe's once help me load a snow blower into the truck and have regretted the nic they caused.

That being said, once you get the pain fixed here is my suggestion. What I did was use 3m paint protection film. I bought a 6 inch wide one and stuck it on the top 6 inches of the box bed so when I leaned over the bed to get something I wasn't worried about scratching it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s a truck. Get used to scratches, or load it solo. I knew a contractor who used to beat the tailgate of every new truck he bought with a hammer just so he wouldn’t have to care about working it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I've heard two tips so far, fingernail test (which it fails in places) and to run water on it, if it disappears with water it's in the clear coat. (Does not disappear in places)

Beginning to think maybe it was intentional as it would take some pressing to get that deep I would think

It’s a truck. Get used to scratches, or load it solo. I knew a contractor who used to beat the tailgate of every new truck he bought with a hammer just so he wouldn’t have to care about working it. 

Yea it’s a truck but that doesn’t mean let’s scratch the crap out of the side when they are loading the bed. People spend good money it’s his truck if he wants to scratch it he can but other people should have more respect. That’s ridiculous.

I worked in the lumber yard at menards during college. Never damaged a vehicle (except for the guy with a 70s rusted out ford that said I damaged his bed to get his shingles for free lol)

Ryan B.
  • Like 2

What were they doing at the side of the bed?

Scuffing the bedliner, hey, I never gave a rat's ass about something like that.

It could be something as simple as a guy with suspenders or one of those back-brace things that have straps up over the shoulders rubbing alongside it.

Don't get overly angry with them, it really doesn't look malicious to me. See if you can buff it out, if no dice, get an estimate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Bummer man.   Sounds like they are working it out with you so that is good. 

Im also like you with my paint.   At the end of the day,  you have to do everything yourself,  trust no one except your friends and family who are just like you with their vehicles.

• Like 1

I worked ROWs 90 percent of my career. My trucks rarely got scratches. If I went over the side I put a towel over the fender. I usually went through the tailgate. That’s negligent there. They load all day they should be prepared for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minimum wage workers, minimum wage quality and work ethic. If you want it done right do it yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Yea it’s a truck but that doesn’t mean let’s scratch the crap out of the side when they are loading the bed. People spend good money it’s his truck if he wants to scratch it he can but other people should have more respect. That’s ridiculous.

I worked in the lumber yard at menards during college. Never damaged a vehicle (except for the guy with a 70s rusted out ford that said I damaged his bed to get his shingles for free lol)

Ryan B.

That’s why I said load it solo and not rely on someone else caring about your property. My machines don’t get dented or damaged because no one touches them but me; if I put it in the care of someone else, and t gets damaged, I really can’t blame anyone but myself. 

• Like 2

The shop that did the body work on my truck after I hit a deer did a pretty shotty job on it. Missing screws, halfassed paint job on the roof, a-pillar, fender. They said they would fix it after I noticed it, all they did was attempt to blend it and now it looks shittier. 6 weeks in the damn shop and they couldn't get the damn thing right. Headliner is dirty and doesnt fit right, sanding dust in places it shouldn't be (including the intake pipe when they had it apart, owner didn't seem to care too much when I brought that up). Pick a good place to do the work...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The shop that did the body work on my truck after I hit a deer did a pretty shotty job on it. Missing screws, halfassed paint job on the roof, a-pillar, fender. They said they would fix it after I noticed it, all they did was attempt to blend it and now it looks shittier. 6 weeks in the damn shop and they couldn't get the damn thing right. Headliner is dirty and doesnt fit right, sanding dust in places it shouldn't be (including the intake pipe when they had it apart, owner didn't seem to care too much when I brought that up). Pick a good place to do the work...

Find a GM dealership that has a body shop.

Find a GM dealership that has a body shop.

Would it be covered under warranty? Insurance already paid the other body shop.

Would it be covered under warranty? Insurance already paid the other body shop.

Your insurance company might have a policy to cover repair work done. The caveat there is usually that you have to choose a repair shop from their list. If you go outside the list, you might not get the same guarantee.

Your insurance company might have a policy to cover repair work done. The caveat there is usually that you have to choose a repair shop from their list. If you go outside the list, you might not get the same guarantee.

I talked to about 4-5 different insurance people after I got my truck back the last time and they either diverted me to other people or flat out declined to do anything because they paid the shop so now it's the shop's problem. Needless to say I don't trust that shop to do it right. Wish I would've known then what I know now and had taken it somewhere else. The appraiser recommended that shop and said they do good work. Well they really didn't hold up to his word and I'm pretty pissed about it, 2 months without my truck and it wasn't done right.