Just put in build order fist time with GMC cpl Questions

Just ordered 2500 AT4 Red Quartz Tincoat  Duramax with the 11,350 gvwr and  fully loaded  with all the packages minus ultimate didn't want the 20 inch rims, I saw they added heavy duty front springs. I'll be towing a conventional  OUTDOORS RV 29 TRX  which has max weight of 13,995 dry was 9,400. Manager said if I tow that heavy I'll want heavy front springs. Do I really need them ? Thinking off calling in the morning and taking them off if its just going to make truck ride rougher if not really needed. Also last diesel I owned was a 2007 Ford  and does this still have water fuel separator like the ford did to drain. Ask sales person and the ordering manager if and  where do the Duramax have theirs at. They said it be 6 to 8 weeks build time seems pretty quick compared to last truck I ordered was like closer to 3 months.

Did the Duramax change their HPFP on the new 2020?, heard the bosch doesn't like ulsd and GM was having issues with them. Also is extended warranties available from competing dealers cheaper online like when I purchase my fords?  Any way appreciate any feedback and answers.

Thank you.

On your particular model, F60 - heavy front usage and VYU - snow plow prep, mean the same thing.  Your FGAWR would increase from 5600 to 6000 lbs.  For this model, this means you go up to the next torsion bar size.  The shocks stay the same.  

I personally would not get the higher FGAWR for your usage.  Just use a load equalization hitch.  Your unloaded ride will suffer some with this higher spring rate.  

The more appropriate usage for F60 is heavy front bumpers or hanging a lot weight on the front.  Also anything with heavy center of gravity like pickup campers.  

#iworkforGM 

Edited by MTU Alum

That camper, even when maxed out, is going to put less than 1500lbs on your truck.  On these new 2500’s that is nothing and probably going to only mean 5-6 inches or so of squat and there is already around 3 inches of rake from back to front.  

The idea of a WD hitch isn’t to evenly distribute the weight, it’s to make sure the truck is sitting level and will handle/brake properly. So a properly setup WD hitch is only gonna need to transfer a couple hundred pounds to the front axle and that’s not even factoring in the couple hundred pounds it took off the front axle before the weight distribution.

In my opinion, I would be surprised if with a properly setup WD hitch and that trailer you had much more weight on the front axle than an unloaded truck, and if so only a couple hundred pounds.  

I personally would not order the heavier front springs.

Edited by brclark82

I currently tow a 5th wheel that weighs 12,300lbs fully loaded and places me over my GVWR by 1,000lbs on my 2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax. My empty weight on the front axle is 4,920lbs and 4,960lbs when camper is attached. My truck has a payload rating of just 2,200lbs and the camper pin weight is 2,520lbs which places me over on my GVWR even before you factor the hitch, dog, wife and blocks. I know they raised the GVWR from 10,000 to 11,350, but I decided to order a SRW 3,500 which should give me plenty of reserve capacity.

• 3 months later...

Trucks in but showed up with 2 door dings with paint damage and some clearcoat scuffs on front fender, Been raining so truck dirty hard to see scuffs till it gets washed but attaching the dings. They are going to fix dings and paint both passengers doors to blend it right. Going to install my up fitter switches no charge do to issue. Drove to Vegas and with 18  rims Michelins no shimmy or vibration issue. The heavy duty springs I was worried about when saw they added to order is a non issue truck road fine no harshness especially when on the crappy Vegas freeway near old Downtown area. So am happy overall so far other then paint damage. Side note wish you can see what gear you are in like the Ford I traded in.

truck door ding.jpg

truck ding 2.jpg

I have a 16,000 lb GVW  5th wheel and was wondering what I need for a truck to pull it.

5th wheels generally have 20-25% of the trailer weight on the pin, that puts mine at 3200 to 4000 lbs.

I tend to err on the side of caution so I am ordering a 3500HD DRW.

The 4WD SRW 3500 HD long box only has a payload of 4078 with the Dmax and that has to include the weight of passengers, tools, dogs, beer, full tank of fuel, etc.

The payload weight really adds up quick and I don't want to come up short, especially with the road police in different jurisdictions.

As far as the trailer weight, the wife has to bring everything and that cast iron kitchen sink in the front storage compartment weighs a ton! LOL!

My 2020 Denali 3500HD Duramax SRW has a payload of 3,960lbs and my fifth wheel has a GVWR of 12,100 with a typical pin weight of 2,520 and trailer weight of 11,460.  I usually do not carry any fresh water and minimal amounts of grey and black water. That gives me a reserve of 1,440lbs on pin weight and would put me just under maximum with the RV fully loaded with fluids and the extra weight of passengers and dog.

Looking at your situation I would say that going with a DRW Duramax would be a wise choice. 

• Like 1