In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hope nobody minds, but I'm going to start up a Quick Reference Guide for common parts/fluids/bulbs for the T1 HD trucks.  I'll try to keep it updated if anything changes.  If a mod wants to sticky it, I'm down for that too. 

Owners Manuals

Oil Changes

6.6 gas L8T (VIN code "7")

• Capacity: 8 Quarts
  • AC Delco Oil Filter: PF63E / 19383806
  • Drain Plug Size: 12X1.75X18.15

6.6 Diesel L5P (VIN code "Y")

• Capacity: 10 Quarts
  • AC Delco Oil Filter: PF26 / 89017527
  • Drain Plug Size: 12X1.75X18.15             

Engine Air Filters

• 6.6 Gas: A3244C / 84121219
  • 6.6 Diesel: A3248C / 84554703

Engine Fuel Filter

• 6.6 Diesel L5P: TP1015 / 23304096

Interior Filters

• Passenger Compartment Air Filter: CF185 / 13508023

Wiper Blades

• Drivers & Passenger Sides: 23387857

Spark Plugs

• 6.6 Gas L8T: 41-114 / 12622441

Glow Plugs

• 6.6 Diesel L5P: 68G / 12690238

Fuel Tank Sizes

• 6.6 Gas L8T, All Box/Cab Configurations: 36 Gallons
  • 6.6 Diesel L5P Double Cab Long Box/Crew Cab Standard and Long Box Configurations: 36 Gallons.  
  • 6.6 Diesel L5P Double Cab Standard Box Configuration: 29 Gallons.
  • 6.6 Diesel L5P Regular Cab Long Box Configuration: 28 Gallons.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid

• Tank Capacity: 7 gallons

Automatic Transmission Fluid

• 6L90 6 Speed MYD (Gas engine): DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid
  • 10L1000 10 Speed MGM/MGU (Diesel engine): DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Transmission Capacities (Approximate):

6L90 6 Speed MYD (Gas engine)

• Pan Drop: 6.0 quarts
  • Overhaul: 10.5 quarts
  • Complete System: 12.4 quarts

10L1000 10 Speed MGM/MGU (Diesel engine)

• Overhual: 20.6 quarts
  • Complete System: 22.08 quarts

Transfer Case Fluid

• Electronic Shift Non-Autotrac MP 1625/1626–NQF: Dexron VI
  • Electronic Shift Autotrac MP 3025–NQH: Dexron VI

Transfer Case Fluid Capacities

• Electronic Shift Non-Autotrac MP 1625/1626–NQF: 2.4 Quarts
  • Electronic Shift Autotrac MP 3025–NQH: 1.6 Quarts

Brake System

• Hydraulic Brake System (Vehicles with DOT 3 brake fluid): DOT 3 Hydraulic Brake Fluid
  • Hydraulic Brake System (Vehicles with DOT 4 brake fluid): DOT 4 Hydraulic Brake Fluid

Wheel Lug Nut Torque

• All Models: 140 lb-ft / 190 N-m

Front Axle 9.25"

• Axle Lubricant: 75w85 Synthetic High Efficiency Lubricant, 10-4091 / 19300457
  • Capacity: 1.9 Quarts

Rear Axle 11.5"

• Axle Lubricant:75w90 Synthetic Lubricant, 10-4016 / 88900401
  • Capacity: 3.17 Quarts

Rear Axle 12.0"

• Axle Lubricant:75w90 Synthetic Lubricant, 10-4016 / 88900401
  • Capacity: 3.17 Quarts
Edited by newdude
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Lighting Systems - Chevrolet

Halogen Headlamps (WT/Custom/LT)

• Low Beam: H11
  • High Beam: 9005
  • Marker/Turn Signal: 7444NA

LED Headlamps (LTZ/High Country)

• Low Beam: LED (part of lamp assembly)
  • High Beam: LED (part of lamp assembly)

Fog Lamps: LED assembly

Tail Lamps - Incandescent

• Stop/Turn: 7444LL
  • Marker: 194
  • Backup: W16W

Tail Lamps - LED

• Stop/Turn: LED (part of lamp assembly)
  • Marker: LED (part of lamp assembly)

License Plate Lamp: 194

CHMSL: LED assembly

Lighting Systems - GMC

LED Headlamps (Base/SLE)

LED Headlamps (SLT/AT4/Denali)

• Marker/Turn Signal: LED (part of lamp assembly)

Fog Lamps: LED assembly

Tail Lamps - Incandescent

• Stop/Turn: 7444LL

Tail Lamps - LED

• Stop/Turn: LED (part of lamp assembly)
  • Marker: LED (part of lamp assembly)
  • Backup: LED (part of lamp assembly)

License Plate Lamp: 194

CHMSL: LED assembly

31 minutes ago, BB&Chiveon said:

crew cab l5p standard is 36 gal fuel tank

Order guide does indicate 36 gallon for diesel CCSB, CCLB and DCLB, but all print information like the owners manual and GM service info don't show a 36 gallon tank with diesel engine.  I see you have a 2020HD, can you confirm the 36gal with a diesel? 

EDIT:  And now to make things more interesting, the 2020 upfitter manual shows all cabs and engines getting a 36 gallon tank.  So that's 3 different sources from GM that all have a varying fuel tank capacity/cab relation on the diesel engine. 

Edited by newdude
  • txab pinned this topic

Ok I just went thru the GM ordering guide and looked for fuel tanks. There are "3" yes three tanks options available to order. CODE N2L is for 40 GALLON rear tank, Then there is CODE N2M IS FOR 23.5 GALLON AND THERE IS A CODE N2N FOR A DUAL TANK SET UP FRONT AND REAR TOTAL OF 63 GALLONS. So now that clears everything up. Don't everyone rush to the dealers and order dual tanks. I got this from the "GM RPO Codes" They are available for both the regular and crew cabs and per note "1-Equipment Group 1SA available on all models"

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2020&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=1&vehicleID=21694&type=0

Chuck

Edited by Gecko50
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, Gecko50 said:

Ok I just went thru the GM ordering guide and looked for fuel tanks. There are "3" yes three tanks options available to order. CODE N2L is for 40 GALLON rear tank, Then there is CODE N2M IS FOR 23.5 GALLON AND THERE IS A CODE N2N FOR A DUAL TANK SET UP FRONT AND REAR TOTAL OF 63 GALLONS. So now that clears everything up. Don't everyone rush to the dealers and order dual tanks. I got this from the "GM RPO Codes" They are available for both the regular and crew cabs and per note "1-Equipment Group 1SA available on all models"

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2020&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=1&vehicleID=21694&type=0

Chuck

This information applies to 3500 HD CHASSIS CAB ONLY.  It is NOT applicable to 2500hd and 3500hd regular pickup trucks.  All the info at the top of the page is for regular pickup as well, although most of the info does interchange with chassis cab.      

Edited by newdude

Update 10/2/19.  I've revised the fuel tank section.  There are just two mysteries on the diesel, the double cab standard box (29gal) and regular cab long box (28gal).  Both really have yet to hit lots so I'm still unsure if these are for real or not, but GM's documentation states this to be the case.

Edited by newdude
18 hours ago, newdude said:

This information applies to 3500 HD CHASSIS CAB ONLY.  It is NOT applicable to 2500hd and 3500hd regular pickup trucks.  All the info at the top of the page is for regular pickup as well, although most of the info does interchange with chassis cab.      

I could only wish they would offer dual tanks. I stand corrected as you sir are correct. I guees the aftermarket tank builders get more sales.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, newdude said:

Update 10/2/19.  I've revised the fuel tank section.  There are just two mysteries on the diesel, the double cab standard box (29gal) and regular cab long box (28gal).  Both really have yet to hit lots so I'm still unsure if these are for real or not, but GM's documentation states this to be the case.

AND, in the 2020 sierra owners manual:

2500 Series and 3500 Series Standard Box (Except Double Cab Diesel) 136.3 L 36.0 gal

and

2500 Series and 3500 Series Long Box (Except Regular Cab Diesel) 136.3 L 28.0 gal 

To save everyone getting out the calculator 136.3 L is same as 36.0 us gal   (not 28 gal)

Regardless, assuming they are both 136L and the 28.0 is a actually a typo,  that still leaves leaves double cab std box with 111 L /29.4 gal  

and the reg cab long box, with a 106 L / 28 gal. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Thatguy233
      How's it going , new to forum and hoping someone could shed some light. I have a 2019 silverado custom 5.3 w/ 6 speed trans with about 37k. A month ago  the truck threw error p0741, it  would Rev high and not want to shift so dealer replaced tcm and new fluid.  A few weeks past and code comes back with trans temp running around 215* when it did so dealer replaced torque converter  and said it was good to go. I took for a extended  drive of so.e city and a Lil hwy for around d 1hr and Temps climbed to 225*.  Is 225* high? Doesn't seem normal and dealer is saying they. Ant find anything wrong 
      20210429_195723.heic
    • By krispycritters
      Ok so I have a 2015 gmc sierra 1500. after backing up and putting it into drive I get going for about 5 to 10 seconds ill get a jarring lock up for a split second. First time it happened I was going about 40 and I bounced off the steering wheel and left a little skid mark. It sounds like either my transfer case or transmission is locking up but it literally lasts for a split second then goes away. also I've noticed that after shifting from reverse I hear a loud transmission whine before it does it. This has happened at least 30 times for about a year and dealer says they can't recreate it.
      It's the 6spd tranny

Also I know all about the normal GMC transmission clunk when shifting I have that too but I've learned to live with it. This is something else entirely. Its dangerous and I can't find anything on any forum mentioning this issue
    • By markf1971
      I have a 2004 Chevy Astro van 2WD 4.3L with a 4L60E automatic transmission and something is seriously wrong, but I have yet to figure it out.  I definitely need some help.  I usually do all my own repairs and I am very mechanically inclined, but this has me stumped.  I even consulted a friend who knows a lot more than me and he was puzzled and asked that I share with him what was wrong once it has been diagnosed.  I would probably be willing to drop the big wad of cash down for parts for a remanufactured transmission if needed, or for a remanufactured rear end and new axles.... BUT the van is not worth spending $1,500 (or more) times TWO.  I need to definitively be able diagnose the problem so that I can decide how much I'm going to have to invest to get it going again.  I bought it used from a municipal police department that used it as a crime scene investigation vehicle and it has no hitch on it, so to the best of my knowledge it has never done any towing. Here is what happened and what I have checked thus far....

I pulled out of the driveway at work and after I had cleared the 2 lanes of oncoming traffic and was in the crossover in the median I let off of the accelerator and heard a slap, pop, or bang that sounded like it came from the right, rear corner.  I instantly thought it might be trouble as it sounded like clapping/slapping two solid bricks together.  I hoped it was just something I ran over.  Then I pulled out and accelerated up to 55 mph.  Then about a 1/2 mile down the road I heard what sounded like driving on a tire that was completely flat.  I pulled off the road to check out my tires.  I was surprised when they all looked fine.  I realized something had to be wrong and I wanted to get my van to a better spot where I could investigate further.  I put it in reverse to back up a few feet to better align me with the area I wanted to drive to, but the van would not move backwards.  I wondered if something with my rear brakes had broken or locked up.  I was able to move forward in D, but there was a good amount of resistance as the engine was struggling  to move the van forward.  There was a good clear spot nearby where I parked.

I thought somehow something had broken in the rear brakes and bound things up preventing the van from moving as normal.  I jacked up the van and removed both of the rear wheels, removed the pads & rotors, then propped the calipers out of the way.  I put the transmission in neutral. I replaced the rear wheels as it was easier to rotate the tires by hand than trying to rotate the lugs on the hubs by hand.  The tires spun freely by hand, but after about 10 revolutions  there was a clang noise and the tires stopped.  I rotated the tire in the reverse  direction and it no longer made the driveshaft move as it had been in the forward direction.  Then the clang noise again and the tire stopped rotating in the reverse position.  Both front wheels easily rotated when spun by hand, so the binding wasn't coming from the front

This made me think that it was possibly something going on in the rear end.  I pulled the cover and I saw no obvious problems with the differential.  I have the G80 rear end which I had never seen that type of rear end before.  When I moved my tire forward by hand slowly there was no movement in the rear end, but when I put my foot on the tire and give it a spin the tire moved a lot and the rear end moves a little.  I didn't see anything that looked worn or damaged in the rear end.   I cleaned up the parts, cover, and magnet and put the cover on with a new gasket and replaced the fluid.  While both the rear wheels were still off the ground I cranked the van.  It was still in neutral, but both rear wheels were slowly rotating forward.  Then I shifted into Drive and, with the engine idling, the wheels would pulse several rotations forward, then slow to almost a stop and then repeat the pulse & near stop.  I couldn't  understand why the surge and slow was taking place.  Then, I drove it the 1/2 back to work to leave it in their parking lot.  The van made all sorts of popping, grinding, and clanging noises.  When I stopped I put the transmission in neutral, but it would not roll backwards.  I tried reverse and the nose of the van dived down and the rear bucked up, but the van never traveled any distance in reverse.  I pulled it forward a few feet into the nearest parking space.  The van did throw a MIL code on the way back to work, which was a P0756 (PCM sensed an irregularity in shift solenoid B).

I thought that I might need to remove the driveshaft and see if the transmission would turn the output shaft while in reverse.  Also, I could try to see if there were and weird noises, pulsing, or resistance to the output shift turning when in Drive.  But, I wouldn't necessarily know for sure the tranny was good if it only misbehaved while under a load.

I had ordered a set of shop manuals about a week before all this happened, and they have now arrived but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about how to diagnose my problem before I resorted to the shop manuals.  I get bogged down in them because there is soooo much information in them.

How can I definitely determine if the problem is my tranny, my rear end, or both?

Here is a video link on YouTube showing when I had the rear end cover removed:

Here is a video link showing when the rear end cover and fluid were replaced and both rear wheels were off the ground in Neutral and in Drive with the van running:

• By DJ Morpheus
      Hello all. I own an 18 Silverado 1500 LT , double cab, 6’6” box, 6 spd transmission, I have opted to put 26” status alloy empire wheels with tire size of 305/26/30. Stock transmission gave out. Stock  Transmission went out. They said torque converter and pump went out then everything else went with it. Was able to replace the entire unit with a remanufactured from GM. 1 month later, back to the shop (dealer). They covered the repairs because it was under warranty but if it goes out again they won’t because they believe it is the rims causing the trouble. However they will cover if it goes out with stock wheels. Which I will be putting back on. Has anyone else experienced issues with this type of truck and 26” wheels? I did research the “Unsprung weight” makes some sense, however only the transmission gave out, not my drive shaft, drive shaft knuckles, diff, just the goofy transmission which I know the 8 speed has had their share of ongoing things. How is it that a truck that is capable of towing 9k lbs has issues with no load on 26” rims. Pulling a payload in the bed of the truck and pulling a trailer should still have the same effect. If I can’t tow anything with the truck, then what is the point of a truck. I have went back to stock rims to see what would happen. Anyone with info ,thought , something sketched on a cocktail napkin would be greatly appreciated. I do thank you all for your time on this. I have attached the service ticket to this post. 

• By NVGMman
      Hello everyone! 
      Finally installed my UPR can and Airaid intake last week and wanted to give some feedback to anyone interested in something similar. Back story is that we bought a 2018 Yukon XL Denali in Dec then had all lifters n cam replaced 2 weeks after due to dreaded tick on engine with 33k miles. As tech said internals are clean, I decided to go with a can to protect investment especially aftering asking tech and service manager about them and its impact on the warranty. They stated as long as warranty claim isn't affected by catch can, there wouldn't be any issue.

Anyways here's some pics of the installation (plenty of videos are available to walk you through it)

The UPR kit is well designed for a clean and OEM look.