2020 Silverado 1500 Inquiry

lryfer

There’s a couple different streaming services out there. Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music, are the big ones I know. They’re all easy to use and you could probably find a tutorial on YouTube to make the learning process easier. Pick the one you like and play with it at home and you’ll see how amazing it is to have almost any song you can think of at your fingertips. If you opt for the higher end plans that offer better resolution files you’re getting CD quality as well which helps when you want to turn up the volume to 11.

He could be playing us a bit. He figured out how to get on here and become a member. My father in laws the same way. He just bought a Honda CRV. He thought it had navigation, was told it had it. Didn’t try to use it until his first trip. He traded it back in taking a huge hit for the identical one with navigation. Here’s the kicker. He has an iPhone 10. No matter how many times me and a few others ( youngsters) try to show him the benefit of navigation through the phone. He will not use it. I even showed him how the phone GPS diverts around traffic jams, where his vehicle GPS puts you right in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lryfer said:

and you lost me after you can rip etc etc etc as i said i no tech savvy that y i wanted to get the CD setup. ☺

I agree with Karnut and that is you're playing us -  intentionally or not.  Your ability to initiate and participate in this forum discussion is a more advanced level of "tech savvy" than dealing with your music conversion.  If you are retirement age, you've already faced a few transitions in the way we collect music.  BTW Another option, not mentioned, is Sirius XM radio.  It's like putting massive amounts of steroids in your 1965 Solid-state push button radio. I have so many favourites on my push buttons that I don't have time to look for my 8 tracks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know where the playing us came into this. Why would you say that. Yeah i got on the forum and post that is easy. To copy CD to USB or whatever else is difficult for me. Heck you should talk to the it folks at my work. I constantly need their help.  just trying to find a r with cd and if not in newer rig then o 9well. Thanks for the insults as I was just asking for help. If that is the way this forum people will treat others reaching out for help out should be ashamed.

1 hour ago, lryfer said:

Don't know where the playing us came into this. Why would you say that. Yeah i got on the forum and post that is easy. To copy CD to USB or whatever else is difficult for me. Heck you should talk to the it folks at my work. I constantly need their help.  just trying to find a r with cd and if not in newer rig then o 9well. Thanks for the insults as I was just asking for help. If that is the way this forum people will treat others reaching out for help out should be ashamed.

You've also been offered solutions.   

Get some of those friends/family to help you learn to convert your cd's to the MP3 format and copy them to a usb stick.

1GB of storage will store somewhere in the range of 12 hours of music.

From staples/bestbuy/walmart/amazon you can buy large capacity usb storage devices for not much money.  (might be called flash drive, thumb drive, usb stick etc )   You might even have a suitable freebee one from some source that has given them out for a promotion.  They used to be expensive but have become very cheap. 

Here is an example - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-elite-x-fit-128gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-black/5664105.p?skuId=5664105

I like this style because the part the protrudes from the usb is small -- so when left in the usb port in the vehicle there is less chance of something catching on it resulting in physical damage.

The one pictured is 128GB for $20 something.  I use a 16GB usb drive (it's one of those promotional freebees) with about 4GB of music that lasts somewhere between 40 and 50 hours. 

Not sure how much music you want to carry in the truck, but an album or cd is around 40 to 50 minutes.

At 12 hours per GB you will be able to store about 15 cd's on a 1GB drive (after converting to MP3)

The $20 something 128GB device is going to be able to store 1900+ cd's.  I'm gonna guess a much smaller size will be sufficient.

Find one that is USB 3.0 or higher.  Since they have become relatively cheap, might even get 2, so you can have a backup to your conversion work, and/or one for each vehicle. 

Yes, you could also store them on your smartphone.  Those same helpers can likely show you how to check how much space is available for file storage.   

It will be worth the effort.  You will wonder why you ever messed with CD's in a vehicle before -- just like you probably now wonder why we ever messed with cassettes ( or 8 tracks before that) in our vehicles. 

I would run one (or a few) cd's through the process first and verify that the result will work in the vehicle, to prove out the process used, before investing the hours it could take to process a huge number of cd's. 

On 9/10/2019 at 4:54 AM, KARNUT said:

He could be playing us a bit. He figured out how to get on here and become a member. My father in laws the same way. He just bought a Honda CRV. He thought it had navigation, was told it had it. Didn’t try to use it until his first trip. He traded it back in taking a huge hit for the identical one with navigation. Here’s the kicker. He has an iPhone 10. No matter how many times me and a few others ( youngsters) try to show him the benefit of navigation through the phone. He will not use it. I even showed him how the phone GPS diverts around traffic jams, where his vehicle GPS puts you right in it.

I don't know how good the Honda nav system is, but the one in my 2016 LTZ is the biggest piece of crap.  My 2019 doesn't have nav and I'm fine with that.  For long distance driving I use a Garmin anyway, and now I have a nice tray on top of the dash to put it in.  For the occasional local navigation I just use Apple CarPlay.

I don't know how good the Honda nav system is, but the one in my 2016 LTZ is the biggest piece of crap.  My 2019 doesn't have nav and I'm fine with that.  For long distance driving I use a Garmin anyway, and now I have a nice tray on top of the dash to put it in.  For the occasional local navigation I just use Apple CarPlay.

I sometimes use my garmin and my phone. My phone gives alt ways in real time. My old garmin just shows delays. I don’t turn on the car gps.

I had to look in my 2019 LTZ to confirm it doesn't have a CD player.  I never even thought to ask the salesman about it.  My 2016 LTZ does have one, but I've never even used it.  Even if the 2019 had one, I'd never use it.  I'm also retired, but there so many better options out there than CDs.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:17 AM, lryfer said:

Hello all: I am inquiring if GM is going to have a 2020 LD truck like the 2019 rigs? I am older and play CDs in my older rigs and want to get a newer rig but all those aps to listen to music is confusing to me.

So i need a rig with the CD player like the earlier year trucks. Wanting to buy a 2020 Silverado or Sierra for my retirement rig.

Anyone know by chance? Been looking for that perfect 2018 but not run across it yet. Yeah i am picky ☺

Doubt you'll ever see a 2020LD. A 2019 LD is really rebranded 2018 stock finishing off the end of the run, once they are gone no more previous gen is being produced. Seems to be a new Chevy habit they used with the 2016 new gen Malibus sold concurrently with the end of run2015s being sold as traditional Malibus at a lower cost. Easier with the Impalas which have been discontinued just rebrand remaining 18s as no change 19s without new gen 19 to run alongside. As with all current latest gen models CD/DVD players went out with the introduction of new SD card based Nav systems, and alongside the SD card reader is a 1/4" jack and that you can hook the output of a portable CD player into the jack

The nav in the 2018 Camaro I rented a while back was way better than the Garmin the rental company usually gives me. I accidentally made a wrong turn and ended up on a highway that's probably existed for over 50 years and the Garmin thought I was driving through a field. 

21 hours ago, lryfer said:

Sounds like your options are to buy an older used truck, see if you can find a new 2018 still on a lot somewhere, grab one of the remaining 2019 LDs or try to learn how to use one of the alternative options for listening to music that have been presented here. 

On 9/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

it's nearly impossible to find a new vehicle with a CD player anymore.

Most full size SUVs still have them, chalk it up to longer generation times. That was actually something I looked for because I get audiobooks from the library for road trips. It's free vs paying for Audible or something.

Edited by Mandalorian