In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

ZBrink

Check Engine Reset: Drive 100 Miles or Can it Simply Run at Idle?

I need to pass a state emissions test.  I recently had some check engine light codes cleared after minor repairs done at a shop.  The state authorized emissions test shop told me that my truck was "not ready" yet per their emissions computer since these codes were recently cleared.  The shop informed me that I needed to drive around 100 miles to reset the system.  

Do I actually need to drive 100 miles or does idle time count towards that??

Drive cycle,means all perimeters,take a ride, at least 20 minutes,we all wait too long before inspection,oh well

If you find out which emissions systems haven't completed their test, you should be able to find out how you have to drive to try to get the system to perform the test.  From what I've seen & read, it can be difficult to get some of the tests to be performed.

• Like 1

That 100 miles is an arbitrary number they gave you to be sure all your readiness tests have time to complete. If you have access to a scan tool, you can drive around for a while doing errands and whatnot, and look at the scanner periodically to see if they have completed yet, then head back up to the inspection place. 

• Like 1

Some of the sensors require run time, while others require start/stop cycles. Yes, use a scanner to see if ready.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZBrink said:

I need to pass a state emissions test.  I recently had some check engine light codes cleared after minor repairs done at a shop.  The state authorized emissions test shop told me that my truck was "not ready" yet per their emissions computer since these codes were recently cleared.  The shop informed me that I needed to drive around 100 miles to reset the system.  

Do I actually need to drive 100 miles or does idle time count towards that??

you can put it on a dyno if you don't want to drive 100 miles

19 hours ago, bg1988 said:

you can put it on a dyno if you don't want to drive 100 miles

I definitely do no not have a dyno at my disposal. 

20 hours ago, Jglew82 said:

That 100 miles is an arbitrary number they gave you to be sure all your readiness tests have time to complete. If you have access to a scan tool, you can drive around for a while doing errands and whatnot, and look at the scanner periodically to see if they have completed yet, then head back up to the inspection place. 

Thanks.  I have a basic Ancel and need to better understand how it works.

Christmas is coming,lol,use your device,it should have monitor status,or obd check,longest monitor I have had to reset is EVAP,it does large leak first,then small leak test