In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
dave_clt

Hood weather strip / sealing strip sticky gone

2016 2500 HD Denali

I had my oil changed today at the dealer and they also topped off the DEF fluid, so when I got home I popped the hood to make sure it was done cleanly since that stuff is really corrosive if spilled.

I noticed the driver's side good weather strip / sealer strip looked a bit loose and I looked to see why it wasn't secured under clips, etc.   Turns out the strip is held on by a long sticky strip all the way down and on my truck it apparently was no longer sticky anywhere so it's just sort of sitting there on the ledge beside the motor and doesn't always line up. This is the sealing gasket that sits alongside the engine compartment that guides rain, etc out of your motor and probably has some wind deflection duties as well.   The passenger left side is still on solid.

I tried to fix it with some VHB tape but it didn't seem to sit quite right without being in exactly the same spot as the OEM adhesive (and didn't stick all that well).  It feels like the gasket - which is in good shape other than not having a sticky strip - would get torn up if I tried to peel the sticky off of it.

Has anyone encountered this problem and fixed it?  I've gone out looking on parts site and can't seem to locate the replacement part searching via keywords like weatherstrip / hood strip / sealing strip/ hood gasket.  Anyone know parts #?

TIA

I’ve used weather stripping glue if you can’t find anything else. Pretty powerful stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Snapped a couple of pictures of the part I'm talking about both in place (just sitting loosely situated) and backside where the adhesive strip - or formerly adhesive strip - is located

IMG_6210.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

Edited by dave_clt

I have the same issue, same piece fell off. I wonder if they got a bad batch! It looks like there is already a strip of VHB tape (or something) on it already, so tape on top of tape isn't going to work well. I used a couple of dots of hot glue just to hold it back in place so it wouldn't fall out or get damaged but that didn't hold. I'm almost tempted to get a whole replacement piece hoping they improved the stickiness of it. If you figure something out, definitely post it up here because I'm sure there are more people with this problem.

Yep - I'm thinking the same solution, just can't seem to find the part number on any OEM parts site.  Probably because I'm not using the right description keyword to search, lol, so hoping someone might know.

I stopped by the dealer today, it's part #23478709 - they want $54 for it. I don't know if your truck is still under warranty, but mine is and they are willing to cover it. I just have to bring it in to have them install it. Of course, looking online I can find it much cheaper! If it wasn't covered, I would be going that route. Good luck!

• Thanks 1