Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

MrGraff

2020 HD MultiPro Tailgate Hitch Ball Solution

Recommended Posts

While I'm sure we are all waiting for the adjustable hitch manufacturers to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does! Here is a couple of links to a couple options.  Hopefully this helps a few people.

 

Ultratow 6 inch Drop - Forged Steel Ball Mount

Curt 6 inch drop Forged Ball Mount

hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

hitch3.jpg

hitch4.jpg

Edited by MrGraff
wording
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats awesome, I bought the stow and tow hoping it would fit and does not, I'm sure that was half the cost too

IMG_9806.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MrGraff said:

While I'm sure we are all waiting for the adjustable hitch manufacturers to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does! Here is a couple of links to a couple options.  Hopefully this helps a few people.

 

Ultratow 6 inch Drop - Forged Steel Ball Mount

Curt 6 inch drop Forged Ball Mount

hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

hitch3.jpg

hitch4.jpg

any reason why you didn't go with a 2.5" hitch instead of using the reducer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chrisw253 said:

any reason why you didn't go with a 2.5" hitch instead of using the reducer?

2.5inch ball mounts are hard to find around here at least in the specific configuration needed to clear the multi pro.  Reducer doesn't really have any drawback from what I've seen other than maybe some weight limitations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you guys feel about a way to lock out the upper tailgate when a hitch is installed? It would keep the upper gate from opening in case someone tried to open it that wasn't familiar with the flaw in this design. Can still use your existing hitch and receiver and the tailgate is still usable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is usable on all of the Sierras with the Split tailgate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had not tested on the half ton trucks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did work on all.  The only drawback maybe the drop is too low for the half tons.  Now technically speaking you could get a ball with a riser on it to gain some height back.  However I would think the riser ball would again hit the step when its engaged or pulled out.

Edited by MrGraff
wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok There is a product coming out within a month or so that will stop the splitgate(upper gate) from opening if there is anything in the hitch. So you won’t have to worry if the splitgate is accidentally opened. This is especially good for people not familiar, ie employees, friends, family

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm looking for a rubber 'cup' to install on the gate so if it drops onto hitch is 'catches' it...i also just ordered the angled ball mount! Thanks MrGraff!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rduatctt said:

Ok There is a product coming out within a month or so that will stop the splitgate(upper gate) from opening if there is anything in the hitch. So you won’t have to worry if the splitgate is accidentally opened. This is especially good for people not familiar, ie employees, friends, family

That's great to know, I'm sure there will be tons of aftermarket options for these tailgates.  The angled ball mount I posted doesn't require any worry as it clears regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.