In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

DAG

Will my installing Cold Air Induction void warranty?

Question

I am considering installing a Cold Air Induction System on my ZR2 with the GM's OEM part 8453531.  In calling two local dealerships about purchasing the part,  naturally they provided two different prices, I was implicitly told by both service departments that if the cold air induction system is not installed by the dealership, this particular item would void the factory warranty.  When I questioned as to why, the service department representative,  told me, items such as tires, shock, visors, and exterior add-ons and etc won't impact the warranty .  But, this particular product because it involves electrical system and particularly the emissions system that it  has to be installed by the dealer, otherwise it would void the warranty if the truck experiences engine, electrical or problems involving the emissions systems.  Does anyone know specifically if these statements are true?  I am actually surprised that if they aren't,  that GM doesn't specifically conduct quality control and conduct random checks of the dealers for honesty.  The two dealers in addition to cost of the cold air induction, more than $500, the installation charge exceeds $250 not including tax. Although one of the service techs bragged about claims of noticeable improvements in HP, Gas mileage and torque, he couldn't provide specific numbers with the exception of gas mileage which I can expect between 1-3 mpg improvements.  I'm curious if he is simply attempting to sell a product which if I do purchase,  I will be greatly disappointed if I don't get the improvement in HP, torque and mpg.   Anyone have any facts that help me make the best decision? 

2 answers to this question

I have a cai that’s aftermarket and I installed myself in about an hour or less. I have been to the dealership for warranty work multiple times and I have never been turned down. They are just trying to sell you there parts and service. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that what I assumed.  Do u see an improvement in the gas mileage?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bearded_warrior
      Found this install video when searching around for any reviews on the CAI. Maybe helpful for someone. 

They are claiming ~15hp boost from the CAI, anyone install one yet? 

https://www.knfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/cars-and-trucks/63-3109-performance-air-intake-system  

• By BigEdB
      I purchased and installed the Cold Air Intake for my 2019 GMC AT4 w/6.2L. Had to have dealership "Reflash" computer. They weren't supposed to charge, but they did. Haven't gotten anyone to call me back to explain. (Milford, CT  Chevrolet/GMC).
      I drive hard and fast. I'm only getting 12-14mpg! 15.5 best hwy during 3k mile trek from WA state to CT. I know have 4,700mi. Put air intake after I got to CT. I have stock 20" w/All Terrain Goodyears.
      I'm looking to put a cab high bed topper on this Dark Sky Metallic truck. Any ideas?
      I'd like to level it like I did my 2018 LTZ, but with it already has a 2" lift, and I'm not sure who can do it or supply me with the parts?
       Lastly, Why The Heck does Chevy/GMC Trucks not have a locking gas cap?!?! My 2015 C7 Vette does! With Proximity sensor push to open!!! $70k and no locking gas cap. I don't care about gas thieves. I care about gas tank vandals!!!!

• By DaBlauTruck
      So back in a GM truck since the 2003 YukieXL got adopted in 2012. Got the SRado and 19 mpg around town after the generic (folks dog em out so I been going with knockoffs and with CAD today they’re pretty good. Truck doesn’t know.) makes the AFm not as noticeable and seriously 19 mpg in a truck combined . Never got better than 13.9 in my 5.7 Ram. Gonna go with cat back next...maybe tune. 
      Read every post before I attempted to get into bed through firewall to continue the Audio upgrade. My link has possibilities...AppleCare play upgrade or the Alpine head swap if budget ever can handle. Going through the big grommet is too much work guys so the little grommet under the drivers door hinge...15 minutes and pull the grommet back in the hole a snap. I got some pics so hope the show. Went with a BBox down firing dual 10 box. Only issue is where to mount the Amp and audiocontrol LC2i . Raising seat or on back wall seems intensive unless using expensive Alpine bass kit but little room unless front of box. Better weather would motivate me to pull back seat out and build a suspension mount like Alpine does. Trying to use set up from previous sled...save some dough. It’s  DablueSmooth now but forgot my new password so musical names for next 30 days. Pictures are too big or failing to load from the iPad ...I’ll post from phone

• By TomBrady80
      I had a great deal on buying my 2015 Silverado LT. It’s not what I wanted (V8, leather, 4WD, etc,) but I’m going to make it work! It’s a beautiful color and I added some black 20” rims and also painted the bowtie black. I have a few more mods I want to do with the lights and adding a backup camera, BUT what I want most is HP!!! I called the local speed shop and they told me there’s really nothing out there for the 4.3L and I wouldn’t be able to notice the small increase with a Cold Air Intke, Exhausts or programming..... Is this true? I mean a few extra (10-15) for each of those mods seems like it would add up? Can anyone give me some advice to get more HP without dropping the obvious V8 I’d love to have to begin with..... 
      Thanks so much in advance!
      TomBrady80

• By Getemwet
      First post here but wanted everyone to know before they too get screwed by their power train warranty. I have A 2015 gmc 1500 Denali 6.2 and have had transmission problems after about 10000 miles or so . I have taken it in and asked to have the transmission looked at with nothing but “can’t find a problem “ from service. I installed a k and n dry synthetic intake to my truck after about 15,000 miles(I have about 50k now).  Took my truck in about 7months ago due to the transmission hitting hard throughout gears. When i take the car out of park into reverse there is a hard knock and a decent jolt. Sometimes when driving it and getting onto a freeway the gas pedal does not work then kicks in after a few seconds (pretty scary ). Another issue is if I give it gas in 4th or 5th it revs high then I feel like I and being rear ended and then the truck moves. This is crazy that this is happening. The dealership did a reprogramming of the transmission and 7 months I take it back they pull it apart and find pieces of the clutch in the bottom of the transmission pan. They call me today and tell me that the aftermarket CAI is the cause of the problem. They say the mass air flow censor is covered in oil from the air filters oil? My air filter is a dry synthetic filter just wash with water and air dry so I call their bullshit. They then call me back and say they looked into the filter I own and it is a dry filter and there was no oil on it. Wow wtf. They bullshit their way out of everything. Just wanted people to know when they have this problem be one step ahead of them and keep your stock air intake . It is absolutely absurd to say my clutch is coming apart in my transmission because of a aftermarket air intake. They are also not honoring the warranty and want me to pay $4480 for a new trans. This will probably be my last gm car ever.