In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Gorehamj

Huge GM Truck Brake Recall Announced by NHTSA - Is Yours On The List?

On 9/11/2019 at 9:05 AM, BillthePainter said:

153000 miles and no issues.  Strange, I didn't even know it had a vacuum pump. Just the good old fashioned brake booster.

I wonder if the issues are related to deferred maintenance.  Not changing the oil often enough.

they had this for a while  circa 2008*  so you can keep AFM mode much longer

*on the hybrid model only..

basically they ported over things  from the hybrid model to the newer  non hybrid models

such as the electrical power steering, brake system (see vacuum pump) ,VVT system and extended AFM.

this is nothing new having the secondary system...

that one time I lost complete  power the brake system locked up ( all 4 wheels locked up    aka Fail Safe)

Edited by bg1988

27 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I'll trade HP for making it to my destination any day. 

Or, if automakers would just build a quick engine that was RELIABLE, we'd be in great shape!

Change your oil often  6k miles (you have 8.5qt so it can go a bit longer then the 6qt ones (4,000 miles OCI is recommended) 😃 

At it's current mileage its more then likely has seen well over 200,000 Engine Start/Stop cycles (AutoStop)

I have a 60,000 Watt 300Volt AC 3 phase starter  no worries there..

AND burns NO oil because it's changed often a keep clean with NO SLUDGE..  NO wear and tear on the engine

OR make sure the shop actually changes the oil  lot of the time THEY don't change the oil at all..

Edited by bg1988

I've been working on my own vehicles (and everyone else's) since the day I got my license. Only top shelf synthetics have ever gone in my truck, right from the day it was broken in. Amsoil can be run up to 15k miles, even towing that entire time - been proven time and again. If you run Signature Series, you will NOT get any sludge - that's a fact, so long as you change it before 30k miles.

My engine is STILL failing, and it ain't from a lack of maintenance. Trust me on that one.

My rear differential has had Signature Series 75w-110 in it since it turned 40k miles. Here's what it looked like at 97k miles: 

Cars and trucks are built by the lowest bidder today. That's evident in every aspect. Maintenance plays a part in some, but not all failures today. Most failures are due to shoddy engineering and cheap metals, all to save the manufacturer a buck.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Slash L86 said:

So, I have a 18 Silverado 1500 nht 4x4 6.2.

Vin # isn't part of the 3m+?

Built 4/18

I don't understand. Is there something special about my truck that it isn't affected or just gm not yet updated all vin #s to pop up?

Brake still work fine...when I need them. Lol

Only 6k on clock

Mine is a 2018 5.3 CCSB 4X4 and it isn't on the list either.

2 hours ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

Unfortunately not.  The brakes pull no vacuum from the engine.   All vacuum is from the pump, regardless of what mode you're in.    There is no vacuum line that goes from booster to intake.   Just to the belt driven pump.   

Didn't mean to confuse you there. Also, I never mentioned anything about a line from the intake to the booster. I understand that the brakes don't pull from the engine, per se.  However, the order of operations for brake pressure (atmospheric) is reliant upon the engines ability to spin the vacuum pump belt which in turn  supplies/creates negative pressure within your booster  Hence the reason why the brakes are failing at low or at idol speeds. If you were to put your vehicle in neutral and rev the engine, you will gain more negative pressure build up in your brake booster because the RPMs spin the vacuum belt faster thus creating negative pressure and the atmospheric pressure from pushing on your brake pedal will again feel soft.   But no one is going to throw their truck into neutral while experiencing this.   All this to say,  I'm still in the dark as to how a programming will fix the vacuum pumps ability to keep a constant negative pressure without affecting the engine idle speed.  

• Like 1

Did you ever experience the vibration "Chevy Shake"?

Nevermind....just realized the truck in the video was an '07 

Edited by BrianBrianBrian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I'll trade HP for making it to my destination any day. 

Or, if automakers would just build a quick engine that was RELIABLE, we'd be in great shape!

I couldn’t agree with you more !!  Problem is if they didn’t break down or last a really long time, the manufacturers wouldn’t be selling any new vehicles or have people in the service department constantly.   Good Quality in many items these days has gone the wayside.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a TV, washer or dryer, or lawnmower.  Yes, technology has come along way, but reliability that goes with it hasn’t....

just my $0.02.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, Yondu said:

It certainly sounds like it CAN be due to lack of maintenance but I wouldn't say it IS caused by lack of maintenance. 

I had about 115k when the brakes nearly failed.  It was always when parking, low idle not 4 cyl mode.  The extended warranty only went to 72k. I will certainly never save $850 in fuel by operating in 4cyl mode so that piece if shit vac pump is horrible for the planet.  Let's get the global warming crowd pissed at GM. Then maybe they will extend the warranty further. 

I asked something similar earlier. Is there confirmed cases where pump was an issue when only synthetic oil was used since new?

The Fix: GM will reprogram the computer that controls the secondary brake assist pump. The secondary pump will now activate at lower speeds and different situations quicker to compensate for any lost output from the main pump. Since the pumps are not failing, GM has decided not to replace them. Am reading this wrong, there is only one pump, where the h#ll is the secondary pump

The Fix: GM will reprogram the computer that controls the secondary brake assist pump. The secondary pump will now activate at lower speeds and different situations quicker to compensate for any lost output from the main pump. Since the pumps are not failing, GM has decided not to replace them. Am reading this wrong, there is only one pump, where the h#ll is the secondary pump

I’m wondering the exact same thing myself . Cause there is no secondary pump on my 2016 just one vacuum hose from pump to booster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Smiley3303 said:

I asked something similar earlier. Is there confirmed cases where pump was an issue when only synthetic oil was used since new?

I've only ever used full synthetic in mine and my vacuum pump failed. 

14 hours ago, silveradosid said:

As I understand it, GM is programming the ABS pump to step in when vacuum is below spec (when mechanical belt driven pump cant supply enough vacuum)

Off to the Stealer tomorrow so they can jury rig the ABS pump to pick up the slack for the 2 pennies they saved on the cheap ass main pump. I guess this sort of thing should not shock me, but I'm not any less disgusted. When I was still working in QC, not a day went by when some engineer would not drop in the lab demanding we make room in the schedule to test some bushing or washer that was half a cent cheaper. Damn bean counters.

Edited by oak 1971