Duratrac P or LT?

Looking for some insight on tire selection for a 2018 1500 All Terrain.  I am going to go with Goodyear Duratrac for our atlantic province winters.   I am not sure if I should go with a "P" or "LT" tire.   Don't want to rough of a ride but want good wear.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks 

Not sure about your tire size, but I have 17” duratracs on my Sierra, and the C-load LT tires seem to have similar specs as the P-rated (load, max psi, etc).

I wouldn’t put an E-rated LT tire on my 1/2 ton, but I also don’t do much hauling.

Whatever you decide, be sure to rotate every 3k miles.  Mine have a bit of scalloping wear even though the alignment is good.  

Not sure about your tire size, but I have 17” duratracs on my Sierra, and the C-load LT tires seem to have similar specs as the P-rated (load, max psi, etc).

I wouldn’t put an E-rated LT tire on my 1/2 ton, but I also don’t do much hauling.

Whatever you decide, be sure to rotate every 3k miles.  Mine have a bit of scalloping wear even though the alignment is good.  
Rotate every 3k?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I’ve been doing 5-6k.  The front seems to have a bit of chop that develops, I think more frequent rotations would help combat that.

either something has to be off in your alignment, or your tires are in some way defective. You always go to the same place for alignments?

either something has to be off in your alignment, or your tires are in some way defective. You always go to the same place for alignments? 

I agree with you, seems like they shouldn’t be wearing like this. I’ve had the alignment checked by two different shops and suspension components check out OK as well. Basically been told “it is what it is” and “that’s the nature of the tire.”

b8ad68f003d9c5885a8b3f4187a43477.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you, seems like they shouldn’t be wearing like this. I’ve had the alignment checked by two different shops and suspension components check out OK as well. Basically been told “it is what it is” and “that’s the nature of the tire.”

Guess I'd be getting out of those duratracs and into another of many tires that dont do that. Have had good luck for 20 years with Michelin LTX models on half tons. The C load version rides nice, grips well in northern climates (less icy conditons where a straight snow tire excells), and balances and wears extremely well. On my 2500/3500's, Ive had great overall performance from Cooper and Toyo with E load ratings... but thats not what the OP was asking about.

I purchased the GoodYear DuraTrac tires for my '14 GMC Z71 in the OEM size - P275/55R20.  Tires have a little over 12,000 miles on them.

Don't notice any cupping or unusual wear.  Rotate every 5,000 miles.  Keep pressure at 32PSI.  These tires are great in snow but make a little

noise on dry pavement.  No handling issues.  No problems with tires.

I tow a single axle open trailer - Heartland (Barlow) 6.5 Ft. X 12 Ft. 2,990 GVWR - occasionally with my John Deere X728 Tractor on board.

Trailer weighs about 1,100 lbs and tractor about same.  Not much weight but truck handles it fine.  I recommend these tires.

Trailer Info:

http://www.heartlandtrailermfg.com/

http://www.heartlandtrailermfg.com/Single-Axle-Utility/

I had duratracs for 30k miles. Great in snow. Mine got unbearably noisy at 27k miles. Still had 4/32” of tread left. Rotated every 5k miles.

275/55-20 P rated. Towed great, rode great. 

Replaced with Falken Wildpeak at3w’s. 

Edited by Bikemobile

I have over 40,000 on my 275/55-20 P rated Duratracs on my 14 AT Sierra. I rotate every 5,000 and keep psi around 37 summer, 40 winter when not towing and 50 when towing. I have 11/32" tread left. I am thinking of going to a E load rating when I need new tires for my towing I do but they do not make a duratrac in stock size in load E that I am aware of.

You still running original front shocks? Worn out and close to worn out shocks will give you the same look as well.

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

You still running original front shocks? Worn out and close to worn out shocks will give you the same look as well.

Yeah, still running the stock Ranchos with 53k miles on them.  I’ve got a set of Bilstein 4600s in the garage waiting to swap out. 

Yeah, still running the stock Ranchos with 53k miles on them.  I’ve got a set of Bilstein 4600s in the garage waiting to swap out. 

Oh Boy, I bet that is what’s giving you the scalloping problems. Hurry up and toss those installed! I be it’ll fix the issue. Good luck

P metric tires are rated for more load than the truck is rated for.

P metric and LT tires in most cases have the same number of plies and the sidewall is no more durable on an LT than P metric.

LT tires are designed around higher inflation pressures and will cause irregular wear at lower p metric pressures (see pictures above).

LT tires are heavier and reduce fuel mileage quite a bit.

I tow and go off road with my P metric A/T tires and haven't had a single puncture or wear issue in 20K miles.