Duratrac P or LT?

P metric tires are rated for more load than the truck is rated for.

P metric and LT tires in most cases have the same number of plies and the sidewall is no more durable on an LT than P metric.

LT tires are designed around higher inflation pressures and will cause irregular wear at lower p metric pressures (see pictures above).

LT tires are heavier and reduce fuel mileage quite a bit.

I tow and go off road with my P metric A/T tires and haven't had a single puncture or wear issue in 20K miles.

You’re mostly correct but LT tires do have additional ply’s and not necessarily for puncture resistance but for added weight capacity. A 125 rated LT tire far exceeds the capabilities of any P rated tire but depending on the weight your tires are having to haul around, P rated tires are good to go. I’ve owned a huge amount of both, had countless flats on my P rated tires, never ever on my 34” -35” KO2’s or Ridge Grapplers and not saying it doesn’t happen but the added ply walls help tremendously against punctures.

Btw, no off-roading will be done with a P rated tire, for good reasons too.

If lifted trucks, good luck finding a 35” tire in a P rating, I’d love to have one.

One thing is for certain, P rated tires are much more comfortable than E or F rated tires.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kubs said:

P metric tires are rated for more load than the truck is rated for.

P metric and LT tires in most cases have the same number of plies and the sidewall is no more durable on an LT than P metric.

LT tires are designed around higher inflation pressures and will cause irregular wear at lower p metric pressures (see pictures above).

LT tires are heavier and reduce fuel mileage quite a bit.

I tow and go off road with my P metric A/T tires and haven't had a single puncture or wear issue in 20K miles.

I agree  My truck came with tires that have a load rating of 112. My current tires are 117 and still P rated.  112s were enough for my 9500ish rating, I have no fear of towing with my current tires. 

LT tires are not needed in 1500s. It's mainly a look, bigger and more aggressive tires are LT almost always.  

The top reasons most people choose P rated tires would that it’s smoother, sticking to stock size OEM is MUCH cheaper and more mpg’s conscious. Though you can haul much more with LT tires as well as they are much more durable but much more expensive too especially for a higher quality manufacturer.

If you tow standard and not often, stick to P rated.

If you tow often and want more security, get LT tires cause the hauling will completely smoothen out the ride and IMHO it’s a much better security especially when hauling your irreplaceable family members and friends.

Not saying this is the golden rule and I’m sure there’s going to be others that are fine with what they’ve got but in all my years with enormous amount of 4x4’s from 1500-2500’s Pickups, Yukon’s, Tahoe’s, 4Runners, LandCruisers, Land rovers to Range Rovers....it’s my experience, your vehicles shoes make all the difference.

• Like 1

Yes, if its a look you are going for most of the larger sizes above 33" are all LT.  LT's are not needed for a 1/2 ton though, and the OP was looking for a size offered in P metric.

Most LT tires do NOT have addition plys.  A lot of the A/T and M/T manufacturers add a 3rd ply because the general public thinks it is needed.  If you look at a load range E A/T (with or without a 3rd ply) and the same size load range E highway tire, they will have the same load rating and only 2 plies in the highway tire.  It is a common misconception that more plies are better, but its tough to educate the market enough to take them out.

Edited by Kubs

Well I wouldn’t want to have donut size tires on my Lifted truck, would prefer the smoother ride of the P rated though. You can actually get C rated as well in lots of LT tires too just not a lot of them out there.

As far as the adding of belts, you could be right, maybe it’s because of requirements for stronger sidewalls for added off-roading but you’re correct, you CAN have identical towing capabilities from a P to an LT, just check the load range numbers. I’ve found C rated in LT tires too which may be smoother with the added LT construction for off-road use.

I don’t tow but do off-roading often in fields while hog hunting so I’d love a 35” P rated tire any day over an E or F.