In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

ZBrink

Best, Most Reliable Fuel Pump??

I may need to replace the fuel pump, testing it today. I see there are several brand options out there. I was leaning towards the Delphi as it has a lifetime warranty.

Is there one brand/part number which has proven itself? Mine is on it's 3rd pump and I'd prefer not to do this again!

***Seriously guys, telling me not to run my tank empty is NOT helpful.  I'm already aware off this fact.  Please only reply to this thread if you have knowledge or experience on which fuel pump brand is the best and most reliable for a 2000 Yukon.***

Edited by ZBrink

Delphi is good quality. Sometimes they outsource but the outsourced part is of similar quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just go AC Delco OEM and expect to get about 150k miles out of it. It is a 45 minute job with a $125.00 part of not that much invested in the project.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Just go AC Delco OEM and expect to get about 150k miles out of it. It is a 45 minute job with a $125.00 part of not that much invested in the project.

I will not go with AC Delco pump as I'm currently on my 3rd one and they definitely did not last 150k each.  I only use Top Tier gas too.  So frustrating.

2 hours ago, ZBrink said:

I will not go with AC Delco pump as I'm currently on my 3rd one and they definitely did not last 150k each.  I only use Top Tier gas too.  So frustrating.

Are you running something that would require top Tear gas?

Just making sure you are not running high octane in a stock, unmodified engine.

How empty do you run the tank?  Have you run out of gas?  Fuel pumps will die very quickly if they run without fuel going through them...

• Like 1

Don't let your truck get below 1/4 tank. The pump needs the gas around it to cool it.

Whatever gives you the best warranty then.

I think this should be said here too. Yes the fuel tank should not be super low all the time but engineers are smart and so is the design of the modern fuel pump bucket.

The fuel pickup sock or point is on the very bottom of the tank, so it's going to pick up just about fuel left in the tank. Any fuel that is not used by the engine is either sent back through the return line right into the fuel bucket to keep the pump cool and supplied with fuel or it's taking a 180 degree turn after the feed on a returnless fuel system and sent right back into the bucket.

Low fuel levels can heat the pump up faster but it's still going to have fuel around it. Make it a habit of filling up when you have 5-6 gallons left, or just above the low fuel light.

Yeah dunno what to tell you.  Over 200000 miles and 15 years on my 05s original GM installed pump.  Surprised it hasn't rusted out and started leaking yet but it's good lol.  All I will use for stockish replacements is OEM.

• Like 1

Guys, I'm fully aware of the fact that I should not let the tank run empty. I have owned countless vehicles in my life and this is the only vehicle that has ever had to have a fuel pump replaced once let alone twice. There is an inherent design flaw with these pumps. 

Now, does anyone have any recommendations on which brand to choose so that I never have to do this again?

Nobody can guarantee you anything when all these parts are mass produced.

Either Dephi or Bosch is my vote because I can pick either of those up at a local Napa store.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Nobody can guarantee you anything when all these parts are mass produced.

Either Dephi or Bosch is my vote because I can pick either of those up at a local Napa store.

I wasn't looking for a guarantee. I was looking for persons with knowledge on these fuel pumps who could point me in the right direction as far as the best brand for reliability and longevity.

If there was some kind of "inherent design flaw", there would be WAY more posts about replacing fuel pumps.  I replaced my fuel pumps (I have 2 tanks) 4 years ago, haven't had a problem with them since and I've put on 100k km since then. I think my main, important pump (the one in the front tank, pumping to the engine) is an Airtex, but my system is also a returnless style, so it's different from yours.

I would say it's more likely that there is some specific problem with your truck, such as it generates too much vacuum in the tank, or an electrical problem, or the pump has to work to hard because the FPR is faulty, or maybe something else.

And is this 3 pumps since 2000, or your 3rd pump in say, 5 years?

• Thanks 1

Starting in 04 all 5.3 & 6.0 had a returnless fuel pump these systems are known to last at least 150000 mi without replacement so check your vehicle to see if it has a returnable system, one indicator is no fuel filter on the frame rail it in the tank.

23 hours ago, Mikebtte said:

Are you running something that would require top Tear gas?

Just making sure you are not running high octane in a stock, unmodified engine.

Top Tier (https://www.toptiergas.com/)has to do with gasoline quality, not octane level.  I use 87 octaine.

• Like 1