Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

mistermcgoo

Which Hard Tonneau Should I Go With?

Recommended Posts

So, after much internet browsing and searching on here... I think I've narrowed down my two choices that fit my budget and preferences:

 

Rough Country Tri-fold - https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-hard-trifold-tonneau-bed-cover-1418-silverado-1500-w-short-standard-bo-chevy.html

 

Gator EFX - https://realtruck.com/p/gator-efx-hard-fold-tonneau-cover/v/chevy/silverado-1500/2018/

 

They both seem to get good overall reviews from what I've read. Looks like the big main difference is that the Rough Country sits more on top of the bed rails versus the more flush Bakflip style like the Gator. Seems like the RC may be sturdier due to that fact? Though that is pure unfounded speculation on my part. Does anyone have any input on either of these? Thanks!

 

 

Edited by mistermcgoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy.

Buy which one you like best.

Just like which oil should I use?, what tires should I buy?, Etc.

Which do you like? Buy it.

 

Edited by dieselfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Easy.

Buy which one you like best.

Just like which oil should I use?, what tires should I buy?, Etc.

Which do you like? Buy it.

 

 

Well, I think the RC looks pretty solid, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm a fan of the sit-on-top style.

 

The Gator looks pretty awesome with the flush look, but there are reports of some minor leakage that I've read. Also if I'm going to be completely honest, I think the big goofy alligator logos that Gator uses look kind of tacky.. though I know how petty that sounds.

 

So, I'm somewhat torn!

Edited by mistermcgoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Well, I think the RC looks pretty solid, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm a fan of the sit-on-top style.
 
The Gator looks pretty awesome with the flush look, but there are reports of some minor leakage that I've read. Also if I'm going to be completely honest, I think the big goofy alligator logos that Gator uses look kind of tacky.. though I know how petty that sounds.
 
So, I'm somewhat torn!
I like the one that don't leak


Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

So, after much internet browsing and searching on here... I think I've narrowed down my two choices that fit my budget and preferences:

 

Rough Country Tri-fold - https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-hard-trifold-tonneau-bed-cover-1418-silverado-1500-w-short-standard-bo-chevy.html

 

Gator EFX - https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-hard-trifold-tonneau-bed-cover-1418-silverado-1500-w-short-standard-bo-chevy.html

 

They both seem to get good overall reviews from what I've read. Looks like the big main difference is that the Rough Country sits more on top of the bed rails versus the more flush Bakflip style like the Gator. Seems like the RC may be sturdier due to that fact? Though that is pure unfounded speculation on my part. Does anyone have any input on either of these? Thanks!

 

 

Check out Peragon!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 which is a lot like the Rough Country. The sit on top works good for me and has only just started to slightly leak since it's about 5 years old and lives outside. The best thing about it is how easy it is to remove and install when I haul mulch or whatnot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 2017Darkness said:

I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 which is a lot like the Rough Country. The sit on top works good for me and has only just started to slightly leak since it's about 5 years old and lives outside. The best thing about it is how easy it is to remove and install when I haul mulch or whatnot.

Nice .How do you like the looks of it? Bulky at all? I have not seen a sit-on-top in person..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Nice .How do you like the looks of it? Bulky at all? I have not seen a sit-on-top in person..

It really kind of blends in with the factory bed rail covers. I guess it's kind of a personal opinion, but it doesn't bother me at all. I liked enough to take it off my 15 when I traded to my current 2017. When I upgrade again, I will go with the same style on the new truck. Some of the flush fit covers require you to open the lid up every time you open the tailgate, then close the gate, and then the lid. Mine has a seal on it that does not require you to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It comes down to what you want. Also need to take some reviews with a grain of salt.

I have a Gator bi-fold. Someone on here told me it was plastic and will fade over time.....except mine is aluminum. It’s been as advertised and have not experienced any leaking. No problems full of camping gear a few weeks ago w/storms.

After 2-1/2 years now I like having it over a tri-fold w the short bed.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a Rev Industries Hard tri fold cover installed on my 2018 Sierra Denali.  It’s pretty much a copy cat of the Bak Flip MX4.  It’s flush with the bed rails.  Gives the truck a really clean finished look.  I’ve only had it for a month so can’t really tell about leaks and durability.  Got it for $150 less than the bakflip  at my selling dealership, than truck accessories places.   Go with what makes you happy 😃 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Extang Encore. I've had much better luck with covers that sit on top of the rails. They leak much less than the flush style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Undercover Ultra Flex, they give you a 5 year warranty instead of most 2-3 year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A5770A0A0.aspx

 

I've been using this one for the last few years. Sturdy, simple design, doesn't leak, and I can take it off/put it on by myself in less than 5 minutes.

 

Also, it's the same as the GM one, just lacking the GM logo and much cheaper.

Edited by sonerick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Appreciate all of the input.. I'm leaning more towards the RC I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2017Darkness said:

It really kind of blends in with the factory bed rail covers. I guess it's kind of a personal opinion, but it doesn't bother me at all. I liked enough to take it off my 15 when I traded to my current 2017. When I upgrade again, I will go with the same style on the new truck. Some of the flush fit covers require you to open the lid up every time you open the tailgate, then close the gate, and then the lid. Mine has a seal on it that does not require you to do that. 

That is the only thing I don't like about my Truxedo Sentry CT. I have to pop the bed cover up a bit, close the tailegate, then close the cover again. Otherwise I'm really impressed with the quality and usefulness of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.