Which Hard Tonneau Should I Go With?

So, after much internet browsing and searching on here... I think I've narrowed down my two choices that fit my budget and preferences:

Rough Country Tri-fold - https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-hard-trifold-tonneau-bed-cover-1418-silverado-1500-w-short-standard-bo-chevy.html

Gator EFX - https://realtruck.com/p/gator-efx-hard-fold-tonneau-cover/v/chevy/silverado-1500/2018/

They both seem to get good overall reviews from what I've read. Looks like the big main difference is that the Rough Country sits more on top of the bed rails versus the more flush Bakflip style like the Gator. Seems like the RC may be sturdier due to that fact? Though that is pure unfounded speculation on my part. Does anyone have any input on either of these? Thanks!

Edited by mistermcgoo

10 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Easy.

Buy which one you like best.

Just like which oil should I use?, what tires should I buy?, Etc.

Which do you like? Buy it.

Well, I think the RC looks pretty solid, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm a fan of the sit-on-top style.

The Gator looks pretty awesome with the flush look, but there are reports of some minor leakage that I've read. Also if I'm going to be completely honest, I think the big goofy alligator logos that Gator uses look kind of tacky.. though I know how petty that sounds.

So, I'm somewhat torn!

Edited by mistermcgoo

Well, I think the RC looks pretty solid, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm a fan of the sit-on-top style.

The Gator looks pretty awesome with the flush look, but there are reports of some minor leakage that I've read. Also if I'm going to be completely honest, I think the big goofy alligator logos that Gator uses look kind of tacky.. though I know how petty that sounds.

So, I'm somewhat torn!
I like the one that don't leak [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

So, after much internet browsing and searching on here... I think I've narrowed down my two choices that fit my budget and preferences:

Rough Country Tri-fold - https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-hard-trifold-tonneau-bed-cover-1418-silverado-1500-w-short-standard-bo-chevy.html

Gator EFX - https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-hard-trifold-tonneau-bed-cover-1418-silverado-1500-w-short-standard-bo-chevy.html

They both seem to get good overall reviews from what I've read. Looks like the big main difference is that the Rough Country sits more on top of the bed rails versus the more flush Bakflip style like the Gator. Seems like the RC may be sturdier due to that fact? Though that is pure unfounded speculation on my part. Does anyone have any input on either of these? Thanks!

Check out Peragon!

• Like 1

I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 which is a lot like the Rough Country. The sit on top works good for me and has only just started to slightly leak since it's about 5 years old and lives outside. The best thing about it is how easy it is to remove and install when I haul mulch or whatnot.

23 minutes ago, 2017Darkness said:

I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 which is a lot like the Rough Country. The sit on top works good for me and has only just started to slightly leak since it's about 5 years old and lives outside. The best thing about it is how easy it is to remove and install when I haul mulch or whatnot.

Nice .How do you like the looks of it? Bulky at all? I have not seen a sit-on-top in person..

7 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Nice .How do you like the looks of it? Bulky at all? I have not seen a sit-on-top in person..

It really kind of blends in with the factory bed rail covers. I guess it's kind of a personal opinion, but it doesn't bother me at all. I liked enough to take it off my 15 when I traded to my current 2017. When I upgrade again, I will go with the same style on the new truck. Some of the flush fit covers require you to open the lid up every time you open the tailgate, then close the gate, and then the lid. Mine has a seal on it that does not require you to do that. 

I just had a Rev Industries Hard tri fold cover installed on my 2018 Sierra Denali.  It’s pretty much a copy cat of the Bak Flip MX4.  It’s flush with the bed rails.  Gives the truck a really clean finished look.  I’ve only had it for a month so can’t really tell about leaks and durability.  Got it for $150 less than the bakflip  at my selling dealership, than truck accessories places.   Go with what makes you happy ? 

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A5770A0A0.aspx

I've been using this one for the last few years. Sturdy, simple design, doesn't leak, and I can take it off/put it on by myself in less than 5 minutes.

Also, it's the same as the GM one, just lacking the GM logo and much cheaper.

Edited by sonerick

1 hour ago, 2017Darkness said:

It really kind of blends in with the factory bed rail covers. I guess it's kind of a personal opinion, but it doesn't bother me at all. I liked enough to take it off my 15 when I traded to my current 2017. When I upgrade again, I will go with the same style on the new truck. Some of the flush fit covers require you to open the lid up every time you open the tailgate, then close the gate, and then the lid. Mine has a seal on it that does not require you to do that. 

That is the only thing I don't like about my Truxedo Sentry CT. I have to pop the bed cover up a bit, close the tailegate, then close the cover again. Otherwise I'm really impressed with the quality and usefulness of it.