In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Aycock1987

Whining/supercharger noise when RPM’s increase

I am experiencing a noticeable whining noise when my RPM’s increase. It almost sounds like a supercharger. Curious to know if anyone else is experiencing this and know what it is.  I tried posting a video but it wouldn’t let me attach. 

Edited by Aycock1987

10 speed ? If so yep I have it. Very faint whine engine noise I would almost call it.  Drove with GM tech and another dealers Forman. Both say it’s normal. Brother has a 18 5.0 F150 and same whine noise. Faint but annoying as hell.  Maybe  high pressure pump ? I’m definitely no expert. 

15 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

10 speed ? If so yep I have it. Very faint whine engine noise I would almost call it.  Drove with GM tech and another dealers Forman. Both say it’s normal. Brother has a 18 5.0 F150 and same whine noise. Faint but annoying as hell.  Maybe  high pressure pump ? I’m definitely no expert. 

Yep, I have a 10 speed. But my dad also has a 10 speed and his doesn’t do it. Took it in the dealership thinking it was the alternator but the tech said it’s coming from the transmission  

8 hours ago, Aycock1987 said:

Yep, I have a 10 speed. But my dad also has a 10 speed and his doesn’t do it. Took it in the dealership thinking it was the alternator but the tech said it’s coming from the transmission  

Do you think your issue might be related to the discussion in this thread?

3 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

Do you think your issue might be related to the discussion in this thread?

Hey, I don’t think it is the same issue

8 minutes ago, Aycock1987 said:

Hey, I don’t think it is the same issue

Oh, ok. Good to know. Thanks. 

What kind of mileage are we talking about when the noise was first noticed?

I get that same noise! More noticeable when tires are spinning... Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope nothings wrong. 

40 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

What kind of mileage are we talking about when the noise was first noticed?

I noticed the noise soon as I purchased the truck. I drove my dads 2019 (identical to mine) the other day and it didn't make the whining/supercharger noise that mine makes. I currently have 3k miles on mine

I hear it on my 6.2 / 10 speed.  I don't like it, but I think I am stuck with it.  At first I thought it was the radio antenna.  

8 minutes ago, oldmann said:

I hear it on my 6.2 / 10 speed.  I don't like it, but I think I am stuck with it.  At first I thought it was the radio antenna.  

You don't like the noise or the truck?

6 minutes ago, Aycock1987 said:

You don't like the noise or the truck?

haha.  I LOVE the truck. The noise could be annoying if I was OCD.

Many odd noise complaints across several different topics (jingle jingle thread, squeaky belt/pulley thread, now this one).  I realize that's nothing new, particularly with a first year new platform truck.

I work for a large supplier to GM in the powertrain segment and I've been told just this that GM Global Propulsion Systems (GPS - formerly called Powertrain or GMPT) is investigating some noises due to metal stampings, some are heat shields on what I believe is just the 6.2L.  This may or may not be related to any of the above noise complaints/issues though I'm doubtful it's related to the jingle jingle since that seems to be pointing to the front axle stub shaft.

I know this isn't anything concrete or maybe not even worth posting.  Just some info that may or may not put some owners at ease.  No clue as to what specific components have been isolated by GM or where they might be, so please don't inquire further - I can't answer further because I simply don't know much more.  I wish I could just call these guys up and give them symptoms and get questions answered but that would be frowned upon by my employer, I'm sure.

Hang in there, guys.

45 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

Many odd noise complaints across several different topics (jingle jingle thread, squeaky belt/pulley thread, now this one).  I realize that's nothing new, particularly with a first year new platform truck.

I work for a large supplier to GM in the powertrain segment and I've been told just this that GM Global Propulsion Systems (GPS - formerly called Powertrain or GMPT) is investigating some noises due to metal stampings, some are heat shields on what I believe is just the 6.2L.  This may or may not be related to any of the above noise complaints/issues though I'm doubtful it's related to the jingle jingle since that seems to be pointing to the front axle stub shaft.

I know this isn't anything concrete or maybe not even worth posting.  Just some info that may or may not put some owners at ease.  No clue as to what specific components have been isolated by GM or where they might be, so please don't inquire further - I can't answer further because I simply don't know much more.  I wish I could just call these guys up and give them symptoms and get questions answered but that would be frowned upon by my employer, I'm sure.

Hang in there, guys.

That's good to know. Please keep us updated when you know more. 

I will if I do - I'm hearing this second hand but from a direct participant in the meetings - no clue on the frequency of meetings either.  Not to repeat myself over & over in several threads but I'm mainly trying to find out info on my particular noise issue (dealer says it's oil PCV related) but GM GPS claims they've yet to hear about that issue even though there's a PIP document out there since 10/2018 & supposedly an engineering change being considered.  Kinda sounds like GM is all over the place and may not be getting all the information that's pouring in.