In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Timkolndorfer

2000 gmc pickup engine mis

I own a 2000 gmc pickup and have a question. When I start up my truck and take off it will chug until it get up to about 20mph (shifts out of first)  then it is fine till I turn it off. Doesn’t do it all the time but often. Doesn’t matter if it’s warmed up or not. Was wondering if anyone has had this problem or might have an idea what it could be. Thank you in advance 

This a diesel? or a 6.0 ?

Or is it a 1/2 ton truck and your posting in the 2500HD section?

How many miles ?

If a gaser, clean the throttle body WITH Throttle body cleaner ONLY..

It’s a 1500 gaser. Thanks for letting me know that I will post in the babe truck page. It’s got 160000 it runs very well after it shifts. 

I own a 2000 gmc pickup and have a question. When I start up my truck and take off it will chug until it get up to about 20mph (shifts out of first)  then it is fine till I turn it off. Doesn’t do it all the time but often. Doesn’t matter if it’s warmed up or not. Was wondering if anyone has had this problem or might have an idea what it could be. Its got about 160000 miles on it and well maintained. It will run great after it shifts. Thank you in advance 

•  

Sticking, binding t.p.s.,try cleaning the throttle body,when chugging,black exhaust or no?

Throttle position sensor,a possibility,if it is sporadic,by reading the voltage,that's worth a look at,and how dirty is throttle body?

I haven’t took it apart yet so I will try cleaning it. I took out the idle sensor and that was pretty gummed up so I’m guess clean it up would be good either way. I’m think of replacing both sensors when I do. What do you think

Clean first and try, sometimes what's available is worse than o.e.m,and clean the MAF sensor also, preventative maintenance

On 9/15/2019 at 5:29 PM, Timkolndorfer said:

No black exhaust could the idle sensor valve have any thing to do with it? I will try that thank you