Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Gorehamj

UAW Will Strike As Of Midnight - GM Truck Plants All Included

Recommended Posts

GM flint truck worker.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-16-2019

For the first time in more than a decade, General Motors workers will walk off the job and strike effective midnight tonight (Sunday September 15th). This is not a targeted strike at limited facilities, but will include 46,000 GM autoworkers at 55 factories. “We are standing up for our members and for the fundamental rights of working-class people of this nation,”  Terry Dittes, vice president for the UAW General Motors Department, said. “Going into the bargaining season, our members have been very clear of what they will and will not accept in this contract.” 

General Motors feels it is offering a fair deal to workers. “We presented a strong offer that improves wages, benefits and grows U.S. jobs in substantive ways and it is disappointing that the UAW leadership has chosen to strike at midnight tonight. We have negotiated in good faith and with a sense of urgency. Our goal remains to build a strong future for our employees and our business.” GM released a statement Sunday which outlined aspects of the offer. These include: 

Over $7 billion in investments and more than 5,400 Jobs:

-Solutions for unallocated assembly plants in Michigan and Ohio
-Investments in eight facilities in four states
-Introduction of all-new electric trucks
-Opportunity to become the first union-represented battery cell manufacturing site in the U.S.
-Additional new vehicle and propulsion programs
Best-in-Class Wages and Benefits:

-Wage or lump sum increases in all four years
-Improved Profit Sharing Formula
-Ratification payment of $8,000
-Retain nationally-leading health care benefits
-New coverage for autism therapy care, chiropractic care and allergy testing

 

The current negotiations have been conducted concurrent with a federal probe into corruption at automakers and within the UAW. Check back on Monday for updates. 

 

Source Note: Some content reported here was found at the Detroit Press.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My questions would be is their pay comparable to the national average? Same with their insurance and 401K plans? I don’t know why people think their job is so special. If their asking for too much, they can’t complain if they move their plants elsewhere.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad enough you don’t want to buy something made on a Monday or Friday but there’s going to be a whole lot of cursing and beer drinking going on this week, wonder how many lemons are going to made after

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not anti union everything had- has its place. I remember an amusing but true story. In the seventies we were working a project next to a union one. I was site super parts runner. 8:00 in the morning I saw an operator standing next to his D-3 dozer on a pad. I walked over and ask if I could help. He says he thinks he needs fuel. I saw their fuel truck and ask if he needed a lift to it. He says he can’t he’s an operator he’s not allowed. I drive by later there’s the truck they’re both standing. I say what’s wrong. They need a laborer to handle a fire extinguisher. A little later there’s now three. Ok what’s wrong now. Well there’s 3 people we can’t do anything without a supervisor, union rules. I go back by at 10. It’s just him drinking coffee and a bunch of guys with shovels. Evidently they expected him to be done so they could set forms, but it coffee break. Union rules. Now it’s eleven he’s still standing, what’s wrong now? I don’t have an check list. For what!? It may be low on oil! The dip stick is right there. His answer, I’m not an oiler, I’m not allowed, I’m an operator. This is a true story.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish my Gmc was made in Japan lol! Seriously, I do.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wish my Gmc was made in Japan lol! Seriously, I do.....

I hear there’s a good truck made in Texas........ I’m kidding, really I am.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’m not anti union everything had- has its place. I remember an amusing but true story. In the seventies we were working a project next to a union one. I was site super parts runner. 8:00 in the morning I saw an operator standing next to his D-3 dozer on a pad. I walked over and ask if I could help. He says he thinks he needs fuel. I saw their fuel truck and ask if he needed a lift to it. He says he can’t he’s an operator he’s not allowed. I drive by later there’s the truck they’re both standing. I say what’s wrong. They need a laborer to handle a fire extinguisher. A little later there’s now three. Ok what’s wrong now. Well there’s 3 people we can’t do anything without a supervisor, union rules. I go back by at 10. It’s just him drinking coffee and a bunch of guys with shovels. Evidently they expected him to be done so they could set forms, but it coffee break. Union rules. Now it’s eleven he’s still standing, what’s wrong now? I don’t have an check list. For what!? It may be low on oil! The dip stick is right there. His answer, I’m not an oiler, I’m not allowed, I’m an operator. This is a true story.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate to this 100000000x over. Happens on my jobsite a lot.

 

As soon as there is real work to do (and the talking is over) no one takes responsibility and just expects the next person to do it.

 

"Well that's not my job."

 

In saying that, we do have a few managers who are of the mindset that, everything is your job. That saying should never be said - rightfully there are boundaries of your job but you should try to work through problems regardless. Sometimes a simple phone call or ask and you're back on your way.

 

It's a piss poor mindset that corrupts people. Hard to have pride in such an environment.

Edited by tanner709
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford and Chrysler seemed to offer what they wanted, wonder what it was and why GM didn't do the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT***.

 

GM share price poised to go on sale in the immediate future. We haven’t seen a sale like this in over a decade 😉😉 😆

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

GM CEO Mary Barra's compensation was $21.87 million in 2018, 281 times median GM worker

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2019/04/18/gm-ceo-barra-compensation-22-million/3415415002/

 

Oh, the poor baby.................

Do the math here. This puts the median GM worker of having a $78K per year. 

 

I know a helluva lotta people who would love a job like this. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Ford and Chrysler seemed to offer what they wanted, wonder what it was and why GM didn't do the same?

Heard on Fox News the UAW leadership wants GM to bring some of the production back from Mexico, GM is apparently refusing. I don't know where I stand on this. Not a big fan of the UAW, however, if this is truly their sticking point I have to say I'm with them. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

Heard on Fox News the UAW leadership wants GM to bring some of the production back from Mexico, GM is apparently refusing. I don't know where I stand on this. Not a big fan of the UAW, however, if this is truly their sticking point I have to say I'm with them. 

 

 

"Stop building trucks in Mexico, or we're going to go on strike so you'll only be able to build trucks in Mexico!" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never understood the desire to be a union member in the present day.  It appears to me you get treated as a commodity, where your compensation is the same as every other human robot attempting to fulfill a widget-making task.  I see it a lot in the educational field too, where teachers get compensated more by number of years worked rather than competency to achieve beyond minimal standards.  I can't think of a more demoralizing work environment where personal proficiency is incapable of being recognized or differentiated from other's capabilities.  If a union member in any field has experience otherwise, I'd like to learn about it, but that's how it appears to me from the outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can you not notice, that at ceo’s pay, you could hire 281 people and actually produce more, not just throw it away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.