Remember kids, secure your trailer, looking for rear bumper.

I've been hooking up hitches for years and this is the first time it happened.  I got distracted while hooking up my utility trailer early this morning and it came off on the road, good things there chains were there,  but the trailer went under the truck so the crank arm put a nice ding on the chrome rear bumper, truck has less than 3k miles on it.

20190918_062907.thumb.jpg.18f2b8bfd9c755c7b38226a969fbe79c.jpg

Anybody with any idea where I can get a rear bumper from? going to replace it myself to avoid the dealer ship and tainting the car report.  It's a '19 LTZ Z71.

Bummer.

Could have been much worse if it was a larger trailer.

I have a ding in my 2018 rear bumper due to Walmart parking lot. I was pissed for awhile but now I live with it. Only notice it when behind truck which isn’t often. I’ve been watching Craig’s but non ever come up with the holes for rear parking sensors. Cheapest I could find new was from online seller like shopchevyparts gmpartsdirect etc.

40 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

Bummer.

Could have been much worse if it was a larger trailer.

I have a ding in my 2018 rear bumper due to Walmart parking lot. I was pissed for awhile but now I live with it. Only notice it when behind truck which isn’t often. I’ve been watching Craig’s but non ever come up with the holes for rear parking sensors. Cheapest I could find new was from online seller like shopchevyparts gmpartsdirect etc.

It's actually a decent size dual axle trailer, so I was expecting worse, so in hindsight it's not that bad but I hate to be reminded what a dumbass I was every time I see that ding, so i'm willing to spend some money to get it fixed.  I called the wife and told her we're gonna have some STUPID expense.

Ouch! I watched someone loading a skidsteer onto an equipment trailer and the trailer was hooked up to a 2" ball instead of a 2 5/16" ball and the trailer tongue jumped up and scraped the bumper and tailgate! Luckily it was an older farm truck but still... He thought the receiver for the 2 5/16" ball was still in but someone else had changed it to a 2" ball!

I had a small dent in my rear bumper from some lumber I had on a trailer that overhung the front and back. I turned a corner too sharp and dented the bumper. I was going to replace it but never did.

Just fill the dent with bondo and then put a big bumper sticker over it. ?

1 hour ago, ChinkySuperman said:

I've been hooking up hitches for years and this is the first time it happened.  I got distracted while hooking up my utility trailer early this morning and it came off on the road, good things there chains were there,  but the trailer went under the truck so the crank arm put a nice ding on the chrome rear bumper, truck has less than 3k miles on it.

20190918_062907.thumb.jpg.18f2b8bfd9c755c7b38226a969fbe79c.jpg

Anybody with any idea where I can get a rear bumper from? going to replace it myself to avoid the dealer ship and tainting the car report.  It's a '19 LTZ Z71.

That is frustrating when that happens. I feel your pain.

Another option is to check eBay.  There are a number of 2019/2020 Silverado bumpers on their right now but have small dents and scratches.  But, be careful because a number of sellers are claiming their bumper fits 2015 thru 2019.  We all know that is not right!

This is not a stupid or dumbass mistake.  It was an expensive lesson.  I had a similar accident many years ago. (1980) with my utility trailer.   I regularly still use the same trailer and never  leave without thorough second or third checks.  Also, at times I've owned trailers requiring different sized hitch balls. I always remove the ball mount after using a trailer.  Time and//or paint gives each of the ball mounts a different look so I don't need to read the worn out 1 7/8"  or 2" or 2 5/16" engraving.  I never risk having a mismatch situation.   I've also faced the experience of shopping for new bumpers, front and rear.  The least painful and most expedient way is to get three quotes from different body shops and pick one.  The unsightly reminder will be dealt with properly and quickly.