In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Won't start ?

Did it to me on the 395 heading towards Mammoth last weekend. Hats off to the guy in the Trail Boss that happened to be right behind me who recognized the noise and came over, said its happened to him 3 times in 15k miles. Started up again after about 4 minutes, but my confidence in taking this thing (with <4k miles) off the beaten path has just plummeted.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:58 PM, Steve-2019 said:

Read this and decide whether you want to do this or your dealer tech.  It's very easy IMO, but be careful.

Bulletin (PIT5756).pdf 1.02 MB · 109 downloads

I am very willing to give this a try, however i'll be pissed if the truck that I bought last month wasn't torqued to spec, if the issue had already been identified and "resolved."

Add me to the list. Happened Tuesday morning 400 miles from home at a hotel. Cranked over 3 different times for about 10 sec each. Got out to load luggage and back in and it started. Checked the fuse box bolts with the torque wrench at 40 in/lbs. All 4 were less than the 40. Tightened all to 53. Hope this solves any future issues. Called customer care and started a case to document what happened.

Edited by 2021rado

• 2 weeks later...

I had a crank, no start at 1250 miles. 2021 with LM2 built in March 2021.

Is the problem still loose bolts on the fuse box? I find it hard to believe GM has still not corrected this in manufacturing. 

2021 Chevy 1500 3.0 Duramax. 4000 miles. Have had issues with truck randomly not starting, (cranks but won’t start). 4 times so far and every time was different, cold start, warm engine start......seems to want to start after 30 minutes or so.

Dealer is not aware of any other trucks having this issue.

Well Well Well. Looks like I'm not the only one GM has never seen this happen to before. On April 13, 2021 my 2021 Custom Trail Boss (5,000 miles) would not start. It sat for less than 18hrs from driving in the rain the previous day and had towed to the dealership. Next day they said they went to go look at it and she started right up. After looking at it for a week they could not find a single code or anything that could possibly be wrong. After so called going back and forth with GM engineers they supposedly looked at every connection and ground as well as do a hardware update. Well here it is May 4th and again it did not start as I was out the door at 0530 for work. Waited until the service department opened and talk to the girl who handled my file last time and said there is nothing she could do and GM does not have a repair at this time. All I can do is make the call to have it towed in and they will charge battery if needed. Damn thing will probably start by the time I get home. Why the hell do I have to worry if my $60k truck is gonna start?

Posted (edited)

Same thing on my new 2021 Sierra Elevation with the 3.0L duramax.  One time at about 500 miles, the next time at 4,000.  Both times I had my socket set with me.  I removed the battery cable for a few minutes and it started right up after that.  The last time at 4,000 miles I torqued the x50a fuse block down.  Seemed like they were way loose.  Now have about 6,000 miles on the truck and it hasn't happened again. 

Edited by singlespeed

On 5/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, Pjsrubicon said:

2021 Chevy 1500 3.0 Duramax. 4000 miles. Have had issues with truck randomly not starting, (cranks but won’t start). 4 times so far and every time was different, cold start, warm engine start......seems to want to start after 30 minutes or so.

Dealer is not aware of any other trucks having this issue.

My truck is doing the same thing. My dealer said the same thing. It is pretty amazing we know this is an issue that is not uncommon with the vehicle but the dealers do not.

Dealer checked out my truck, said they could not get it to duplicate no start.....No kidding 🤷‍♂️. They also said the fuse box recall issue didn’t apply to this because my truck would actually crank, vehicles with bad fuse box wouldn’t crank. At least this is what he tells me. 

Next time truck won’t start I am going to disable the auto stop switch as I’m thinking it has something to do with the alto stop feature.

3 minutes ago, Pjsrubicon said:

Dealer checked out my truck, said they could not get it to duplicate no start.....No kidding 🤷‍♂️. They also said the fuse box recall issue didn’t apply to this because my truck would actually crank, vehicles with bad fuse box wouldn’t crank. At least this is what he tells me. 

Next time truck won’t start I am going to disable the auto stop switch as I’m thinking it has something to do with the alto stop feature.

Did you happen to ask them if the torque on the fuse box was up to spec?

Well add me to the growing list I guess, 2020 Z71 RST, only 3500 miles. We went to take to to dinner and it just cranked and cranked. It never started. Just shook my head and put the garage door down and jumped in my 2019 Honda Civic and went to dinner. On the way down to eat my truck texted my phone, said it needs service within one day. Got back in and tried it again and after cranking for a good 10 seconds it started and seems to run ok but thankfully a check engine light is on so it kicked something. It will go to the dealer on Monday. I will update here after I hear back. 

On 5/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, khays said:

Did you happen to ask them if the torque on the fuse box was up to spec?

I did not.....they said the fuse box issues didn’t apply to my concern. I will check the torque myself. 

Possible fix!!!

My 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 failed to start twice in the last month. Each time I waited several minutes and it eventually started. I just got back from the dealer and they found two codes in the history (P0300 and P12A6). They referenced service bulletin #20-NA-218 and reprogrammed the ECM. 

supposedly this is the fix for the starting issues. I will update if it happens again. 

On 5/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, Pjsrubicon said:

Check service bulletin #20-NA-218

Anyone experience a permanent fix with this issue? My truck has the 3.0 duramax and I’m wondering if it’s potentially a different issue. Almost seems like the truck isn’t getting fuel while attempting to start. Always stars on the second attempt and never throws a code (which makes it real fun when dealing with technicians).