In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Won't start ?

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Colossus said:

well, get it in so they can fix it so you can be happy again.

That's the problem they don't know how to fix it. I started this thread last August and have a new truck that will be a year old in June and continues not to start..no engine light , no codes.just a little frustrated.

3 hours ago, B.R.67 said:

That's the problem they don't know how to fix it. I started this thread last August and have a new truck that will be a year old in June and continues not to start..no engine light , no codes.just a little frustrated.

Yep. I've had the dealer tell me the GM HQ tech people don't even know whats causing this issue.  They're chasing the problem on mine now testing everything and relaying it to the techs and then trying other fixes...

Edited by mg2020at4

10 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

I would check your states lemon laws, good chance you qualify at this point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah.  I already do qualify on the 30 days and attempts to fix.  Just spoke with the dealer and the Fuel Control Module code and Steering column sensor are on the same circuit per the field tech.  It can be anything from an improper crimp to the wire being knocked around in vibration and breaking to anything else.  Won't have my truck for another week at least.  GMC won't even cover the payment right now even though i dont have it because the situation isn't resolved.  I can't wait to see what remedy they offer.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 9:23 AM, Jack Hunnicutt said:

any update on a fix?

No.  My vehicle is still at the dealer while it gets torn apart and they test modules and pins attempting to figure out wtf is going on.  40+ days at dealer and purchased on January 20th.  They have almost had the vehicle more than I have.  GMC's service advisor's cannot tell me crap regarding how they are going to make this right and I am making payments on a vehicle I don't own.  I am SO HAPPY this happened right in front of the dealer immediately after they "fixed it" last time as I tried to pull it off the lot because I had five witnesses go..."well ******, gimme the keys please".  

Edited by mg2020at4

7 minutes ago, mg2020at4 said:

No.  My vehicle is still at the dealer while it gets torn apart and they test modules and pins attempting to figure out wtf is going on.  40+ days at dealer and purchased on January 20th.  They have almost had the vehicle more than I have.  GMC's service advisor's cannot tell me crap regarding how they are going to make this right and I am making payments on a vehicle I don't own.  I am SO HAPPY this happened right in front of the dealer immediately after they "fixed it" last time as I tried to pull it off the lot because I had five witnesses go..."well ******, gimme the keys please".  

dang...sorry to hear it....my 2020 is doing the same thing....started the first day i brought it home from the dealership.  i am taking it in this week to get it looked at but am bracing for the "problem not found" diagnosis and a long fight to get the issue resolved.  I sent GM corporate a formal complaint letter via certified mail.  I wanted to ensure i did everything to cover myself under the lemon law act for my state.  GM corporate already called me back and have started a case file for me.

4 minutes ago, Jack Hunnicutt said:

dang...sorry to hear it....my 2020 is doing the same thing....started the first day i brought it home from the dealership.  i am taking it in this week to get it looked at but am bracing for the "problem not found" diagnosis and a long fight to get the issue resolved.  I sent GM corporate a formal complaint letter via certified mail.  I wanted to ensure i did everything to cover myself under the lemon law act for my state.  GM corporate already called me back and have started a case file for me.

This sounds annoying but take a video each time you fire up your vehicle.  Each time it happened I had the video time stamped and engine code was stored to show that this occurred and this is the code that was thrown because of this occurring.  They'll try to replace your fuel control module and steering column sensor which was done four times total with mine and did nothing.  They stopped replacing them and now think it is something occurring on that circuit because both those sensors run off that circuit. 

Edited by mg2020at4

1 minute ago, mg2020at4 said:

This sounds horrible but take a video each time you fire up your vehicle.  Each time it happened I had the video time stamped and engine code was stored to show that this occurred and this is the code that was thrown because of this occurring.  They'll try to replace your fuel control module and steering column sensor which was done four times total with mine and did nothing.  They stopped replacing them and now think it is something occurring on that circuit because both those sensors run off that circuit. 

great advice...ill do that...thanks.  ill also mention what has been happening to yours when i take mine into the shop to get looked at.  i am hoping the shop will contact GM and start comparing notes with them and other shops that are working on trucks having the same issue (like your shop)...i doubt it but wishful thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for making us aware of this issue. We would like the opportunity to take a closer look on our end. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Forum Username/ GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC. 

Aleigha W. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue. Dealer in west side Chevy in Katy took it and looked. They said its a Fuel control Module issue and ordered and replaced the part. Then they called to report it was good to go, only to call me back 10min later saying they went to start it and it would not start again. They had it for a few more days, say they re-tuned the module drove it around and started and stopped it a few 10-20 times with no more issues. I will report back after i pickup to let y'all know. 

3 minutes ago, MikeVDWalt said:

I had this same issue. Dealer in west side Chevy in Katy took it and looked. They said its a Fuel control Module issue and ordered and replaced the part. Then they called to report it was good to go, only to call me back 10min later saying they went to start it and it would not start again. They had it for a few more days, say they re-tuned the module drove it around and started and stopped it a few 10-20 times with no more issues. I will report back after i pickup to let y'all know. 

FYI mine is a 2020 Custom Trail Boss Z71

appreciate the post.  I ended up sending a letter to GM corporate about the issue.  Believe it or not, GM customer service contacted me and worked with my service department on the issue.  Although the service department couldn't replicate the issue when they had it, they, along with GM Corporate, are aware and if it comes up again, agreed to work together to try and fix it.  Pleasantly surprised that GM corporate agreed to intervene on my behalf.  My issue has not come back up so i have my fingers crossed.  Something to note, the starting issue happened during my first week of ownership after taking receipt of the truck from the dealership.  The dealership filled it with gas prior to me driving it home.  I am guessing they filled it with the cheap 87 octane.  However, once i filled the truck back up with 93 octane, the starting issue went away.  Coincidence?  I don't know but since that first week of problems (late April), i haven't had the starting issue resurface while running with 93 octane.  

I had the same issue on 2020 LT trail boss 6.2 less than 200 miles on it.  I drove it home from the dealership and the next morning it wouldn't start.  They hauled it back and replaced the fuel control module.  I just got it back so we will see how it holds up.