2015 Silverado 2500hd fuel consumption

When I was running regular fuel, I had an overall average around 13-14 mpg.  Highway 17-18 mpg.

I have been using E85 for the last 3 years.  Average  mpg of around 11 mpg with 13.5 to 14 highway.  E85 is lower MPG, but at the significantly lower cost of E85 in my area, it still is cheaper per mile to use.

• 1 month later...

12k miles now on my '19 6.0...unreset since new DIC is presently at 13.6 mpg, haven't had the chance to work it much yet.  On highway, last shift of the tranny then drop a few mph (57-59) puts me at 1500-1600 rpms...18-19 mpg.  Push her up closer to 2k rpms over 70 and the mpg drops fast to under 15...gas is presently almost 20% cheaper then diesel so I am winning at the pump, not even counting cost of maintenance plus initial purchase cost...very happy 6.0 driver here.

9 hours ago, captadamnj said:

12k miles now on my '19 6.0...unreset since new DIC is presently at 13.6 mpg, haven't had the chance to work it much yet.  On highway, last shift of the tranny then drop a few mph (57-59) puts me at 1500-1600 rpms...18-19 mpg.  Push her up closer to 2k rpms over 70 and the mpg drops fast to under 15...gas is presently almost 20% cheaper then diesel so I am winning at the pump, not even counting cost of maintenance plus initial purchase cost...very happy 6.0 driver here.

70 on the dmax would likely still be 23-25 mpg.....

Diesel and regular are basically priced the same here.

8 hours ago, redwngr said:

70 on the dmax would likely still be 23-25 mpg.....

Diesel and regular are basically priced the same here.

That would be amazing if you are getting 23-25 mpg at 70 mph...is that purely instantaneous or factor in regens, as well?

My LBZ at 70 mph was 18+ mpg...I could get 22-24 by dropping just below the last shift point which was around the same mph as my gasser now.  So 18 vs 15/23 vs 19 for me at different mph, you can see where the 20% fuel savings cost for me is break even compared to my last track.  That number you gave is best I've heard of at that speed for a recent diesel, congrats!

1 hour ago, captadamnj said:

That would be amazing if you are getting 23-25 mpg at 70 mph...is that purely instantaneous or factor in regens, as well?

My LBZ at 70 mph was 18+ mpg...I could get 22-24 by dropping just below the last shift point which was around the same mph as my gasser now.  So 18 vs 15/23 vs 19 for me at different mph, you can see where the 20% fuel savings cost for me is break even compared to my last track.  That number you gave is best I've heard of at that speed for a recent diesel, congrats!

Mostly interstate - Michigan to Colorado.  Mostly 70 to 75 mph.

70 mph number using to 'rolling average's in dic. 

Tank averages/trip meter  reset every fill. 

With stops, regens, etc tank averages usually about 22.  Hand calcs about 21. 6 or 8 tank fills in a row.

(this truck, dic usually about that much 'optimistic', my LML dic and hand calc were usually within 0.1 or 0.2 mpg of each other)

Stock size 18's.  Cold pressures 55 all the way around.  Bed cover. 

Around home, with less steady state driving, and more 'town' driving, tank averages are 18 - 20. 

I have noticed that the second summer with the truck, the tank averages seem to have improved from the first year.  But I haven't got interested enough to graph them and see if it's really true.

Yes, I'm one of those that records (almost) every fill.