In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

jwhjr

Bilstein 6112 install gone bad **fixed**

Was installing them on my 2018 last night, and it blew the top of the strut mount right out!  Had the top bolt secured and let the pressure off the spring and boom!  Luckily we were not in the line of fire although it was just a night for bad luck.  My buddy's wall mounted spring compressor broke on the removal of the stock one to get the mounting parts, and that spring went flying as well.  Once I get the new mounting plate, the stock ones are going back in.  Too paranoid it's going to blow out again although I haven't seen anyone with this same issue.

IMG_1886.jpeg

IMG_1887.jpeg

Edited by jwhjr
update

You just need new top mounting plates. We've seen this before on the forums. Using the old factory ones tend to give every now and then. Also this is why we suggest people not renting the AutoZone deals to compress the Springs as you seen the danger associated with compressing the Springs. Even a wall mount can give out. I wish this could be sticky for future reference and safety of others.

Only 8K miles on the original mounting plate, so it should not have failed?  Either way I'm just going back to the stock ones before my luck goes bad...

I had that happen and I just pressed the bushing into the plate using a large socket and vise. A little lube will make it easier too.  If I recall, I forgot to put the washer on top and that's why it popped lose.

On top underneath between the cap and the bump stop? 

9AF9EF84-3927-45D4-8C2F-790806D96924.jpeg

Got everything sorted out and the Bilsteins on.  A pain but worth it. 

• Like 2

Nice! What setting do you have them set to? Also pics are worth a thousand....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Nice! What setting do you have them set to? Also pics are worth a thousand....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Stock height. A couple quick pictures attached.  Had to pull apart ball joint etc. and use a massive pry bar to get the A-arm low enough to get it up in there. 

A14540C7-37CB-4482-B14F-3417BBB8393F.jpeg

EA3FAE3B-6EC5-4708-8ED4-5D86DB822D02.jpeg

14 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Nice! Hows the ride vs stock?

Slightly stiffer than stock on regular roads, but totally smooths out the bumps that were rough on the stock fronts.  It corners much better as well because there is less of a lean through the corner. I also have the 5100’s on the rear that I installed a few weeks ago. A couple of better pictures are attached.

9CE4DE5F-D4F0-498B-BB9F-D8FA26F09113.jpeg

94E78ABD-FF81-41C1-8728-0E3DB70861D7.jpeg

Edited by jwhjr
  • Like 2

Anyone go from 5100 in front to 6112?

whats the difference besides stiffer? 6112 is larger so more firm and controlled ride vs 5100?

What was the fix that got everything sorted out? Was it a washer problem, new plates, or what?

Also wondering if your stock setup was a Z71 for comparison.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Granite7 said:

What was the fix that got everything sorted out? Was it a washer problem, new plates, or what?

Also wondering if your stock setup was a Z71 for comparison.

Thanks!

So when we pulled the first "old" one out, my buddy's wall mounted spring compressor broke and blew parts all over the place.  He's had it for about 25 years and a weld actually cracked and tweaked just enough to send everything flying.  We didn't realize that we were missing a top piece, and the washer (pic of the washer from both attached) on the inside of the setup so when we put the new one together it pulled the rubber grommet through.  Got a new top plate, figured out the 2 pieces we were missing and found them and then got everything put back together.  Luckily he had another friend with a shop and we used his spring compressor to get everything set up on the new ones.  Parts diagrams we were looking at didn't show the pieces we were missing, so we thought we had everything.  And yes, stock setup is Z71.

IMG_1889.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks, that is really useful information on both the parts and your stock setup. Totally understandable about those parts being liberated to the shop floor! LOL

I’m wanting to do the same 6112 but I didn’t want to lose the strength of the Z71 springs. The truck is a little stiff over road bumps, but I need the function of the stronger suspension for the National Forest roads and logging roads. Sounds like I can go with the 6112 for a little more ground clearance and still have the strength to handle some bumps.

10 minutes ago, Granite7 said:

Thanks, that is really useful information on both the parts and your stock setup. Totally understandable about those parts being liberated to the shop floor! LOL

I’m wanting to do the same 6112 but I didn’t want to lose the strength of the Z71 springs. The truck is a little stiff over road bumps, but I need the function of the stronger suspension for the National Forest roads and logging roads. Sounds like I can go with the 6112 for a little more ground clearance and still have the strength to handle some bumps.

The springs that come with the 6112 setup are beefier than the stock ones, so you definitely aren't losing any strength!